I Had a Tummy Tuck 3 Days Ago with Lipo of the Flanks. Now I'm Blue/purple. Is This Bruising or Necrosis?

I want to know if this is normal bruising or necrosis. I had a tummy tuck with lipo of the flanks 6 days ago. 2 days post operation i saw a blue spot by my pubic area, 3 P.O it turned purple with a black spot by the T incision, 4 P.O the big incision also got some black spots in it. I don't smoke, live very healthy and have no diabetics. Do you think the purple spot turns black? And is there necrotic tissue visible in my pictures? Picture 1 is a picture showing 3,4 and 6 P.O Do you think the purple spot gets necrotic and becomes a hole?

As you recover

+2

your body will tell you whether its just a bruise or not.  Either the area will stay soft and warm or get cooler and darker.  Since your surgery is done, all you can do is hang on and finish the ride.  Your surgeon should be supervising your recovery and you should be letting him/her know of your concerns.

Bruising or Necrosis?

+2

After only three days post op, it is hard to say whether or not the blue/purple area near your incision is bruisng or full thickness injury to the skin. It is possible that there is injury to the skin as the central portion of the abdominoplasty incision is under the most amount of tension. I would recommend close and frequent follow up with your plastic surgeon for proper management.

Hope this helps.

R. Michael Koch, MD
Tarrytown Plastic Surgeon

+2

BOTH!! Best to have very close follow up with your surgeon, like daily. Until the area of necrosis declares than following debridement this will heal over a 3 month interval. Sorry. 

Blue/purple area after tummy tuck

+1

The purple area might be where the circulation is not the best. But three days after surgery is too early to tell. Make sure that you are not smoking or around people who are. Stay well hydrated. And follow your surgeon's instructions.

Ronald Schuster, MD