Is There a Cut-off Age for Tummy Tuck?

I am 61 years old and considering a full abdominoplasty fairly soon. Is there an age cut off for this type of surgery? I am in excellent health and has been working out regularly in the last 30+ years. I am toned everywhere except for my bulging stomach. Thanks.

Safe Tummy Tucks

+2

It's not chronological age that matters, it is your health. You sound good. But it is true that a tummy tuck is a big operation and it has significant risks. For instance, if you are on hormonal therapy, it can increase your risk of blood clots which can even be fatal.

So, don't get your answers here about whether or not to do it! See a plastic surgeon who is an ASAPS member and able to conscientiously gain an understanding of your medical issues.

Web reference: http://www.drteitelbaum.com

Not a problem...

+2

You sound like you have taken great care of yourself. If you are indeed in good health, you should be fine for the surgery.

Abdominoplasty is a huge operation even for a younger person. Therefore, I strongly urge you to get a complete check up with your internest prior to surgery. Communicate with the internist so that any precautions can be taken to assure your safety.

sek

Tummy Tuck past "youth."

+2

Abdominoplasty is a major surgery with significant risks related to the tightening of the abdominal muscles (slowing the blood return to the heart from the legs) and general extensiveness of the procedure (much larger than even the long incision would indicate). This means that you need to be in good health and able to get back to normal activities quickly after surgery. If you meet these criteria, there is no age restriction. You do need a good evaluation by an experienced Plastic Surgeon who can access your health and your abdomen. A tummy tuck is necessary if you have excess skin that you need to remove from the whole abdomen. If all you have is a “bulging stomach” caused by excess fat but without excess skin, you may be a candidate for Liposuction. If your upper abdomen is “toned” and you do have some extra skin on the lower abdomen, you may be a candidate for a mini-abdominoplasty. Only a thorough evaluation can determine what you need and what your risks are. You sound like the poster child for “60 being the new 40.” If this is so, none of these alternatives should be a problem.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

It is health over age

+2

I have performed the operation (even extended cases) for patients over 70 years of age with few problems. In my opinion, it is the patient's overall health that either makes or breaks the operation as long as you are in good hands. You will likely need pre-operative clearance from your internist and of course a complete evaluation by a good plastic surgeon who is experienced in tummy tuck surgery.

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Cut off age tummy tuck

+1

Hi there Emily,

There is no cut off age for abdominoplasty.

If you are in good health and an appropriate candidate, I can see no reason  why you could not have a tummy tuck.

Tummy tuck is an operation that is very rewarding for patients and generally well tolerated.

There are risks with any surgery and at any age, but if you are in good health, then these are relatively minor.

It will take you at least 6 weeks to get back to full activities, but that would be the same as if you were 41!!!!

Good luck and best wishes

Richard Bloom  FRACS (PLAS)

National Chairman Board of Plastic Surgery

Melbourne , Australia

Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Age?

+1

There is no specific “cut off age” for tummy tuck surgery. I would ask that you see your internist or primary care physician for medical workup prior to the procedure.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_tummytuck.htm

No cutoff age for tummy tuck if you are healthy.

+1

As long as you are healthy and have a clear bill of health,  it is safe to get a tummy tuck at 61 years old.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/body-surgery-chicago/tummy-tuck/

Balancing health status and plastic surgery risks

+1

It is not the physical health that matters but the general health status. It seems that you are in good shape.However, a good history and clinical exam by a board certified plastic surgeon will determine any point of weakness or concern that would increase the risks of complications. Hope that helps!

Web reference: http://newportplastic.com/tummy-tuck/

Is there a cut off age for Tummy Tuck?

+1

You sound like a good candidate. The real decision about your health should be made by your primary care doctor. Even if you are medically cleared for surgery, you may want to spend one night in the hospital for safety reasons and stronger pain medication can be given there vs oral pain pills.

Good job of staying in shape

There is no absolute age limit for a tummy tuck

+1

There is no definite age limit for a tummy tuck or abdominoplasty. The more important consideration is the patients overal medical conition. If a patient is in poor medical conditon they should not undergo an elective procedure, like a tummy tuck, no matter what there age is.

Even though most women have tummy tucks after they are done having childeren your age should not elimiate you from the procedure. I have personally perfomed tummy tucks on patients in their early 70s. I have also refused tummy tucks on patients in their 40s because of poor medical condition. A good history and phsical as well as basic labs and an EKG by your primary care physician will help determine your overal health and risk for general anesthesia.

Other things to consider are the following: multiple surgical procedures on the abdomen, smokers and diabetics. These conditions will all increase chances of complications and may cause a plastic surgeon to refuse surgery.

El Paso Plastic Surgeon