Recovery Time for Tummy Tuck + Hernia + Breast Aug?

I will be having a tummy tuck and with that, they will be fixing a hernia along with implants and a lift. I have a 3 year old and a 6 month old. How long would I be in recovery before I can lift my 20 pound baby?

Hernia repair OR tummy tuck - minimum 6 weeks restriction

+3

Most of us use the magic number of 6 weeks following a tummy tuck before allowing patients to lift heavy objects (your child!) or do strenuous activities. We took this number from general surgery and hernia repairs. The reason for this length of time is that this is when the "repair" (whether it be the rectus diastasis repair in the mid-line, or a hernia repair with or without mesh) has reached around 80% of its tensile strength. If you look at wound disruption curves against time, the repairs are very weak the first week after surgery, and then begin getting stronger (more so in the last 3 weeks of the 6). At 6 weeks, around 80% is reached, but then the remainder happens very slowly over the next few months - so it does not make sense to restrict people past this time. The mild discomfort that you feel when challenging the repair is the body's method of preventing you from doing too much.

Hope this helps!

At least 3 weeks for tummy tuck, breast lift and augmentation recovery

+3

Karlamae,

You are having a lot of surgery for one operation. Multiple procedures do prolong recovery and you should know that the risk of complications is greater when you do more than one procedure.

The problem is that multiple areas have to heal and your anesthesia time is longer.

You need to be up and around walking right after your surgery to prevent blood clots in your legs.

With the procedures you are having, if you were my patient, I would guess that you will not be comfortable lifting your baby for at least 10 days and I would plan to have help at home for at least the first week to ten days.

You will not be able to do vigorous activity like lifting or working out for at least 3 possibly 4 weeks.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

That's a heavy baby!! You would definitely need a full six weeks before the fascia is fully healing following the hernia repair

+1

A hernia can easily recur if you don't take care of the area.  You should also wear a tight binder to give added support to the surgical area for the full 6 weeks.  I usually tell my patients that after 3 weeks you can easily sit on the floor and have your baby come to you so you don't have to worry about lifting.

Leila Kasrai, MD, FRCSC

Strenuous Activities, Such as Lifting a 20 LB Are Not Allowed for At least 4-6 Wks Following Tummy Tuck & Breast Surgery

+1

Recovery times following mommy makeover surgery vary from patient to patient. It’s important to remember that this is an extensive procedure, that combines cosmetic breast surgery, abdominoplasty and in some cases, liposuction. It may also have additional components such as hernia repair surgery. Because of this, returning to strenuous activity to soon after surgery can potentially have negative consequences.

We generally recommend light activity for the first two weeks following the procedure. Patients are allowed bathroom and kitchen privileges, but encouraged to minimize activity. Light ambulation in a slightly flexed position is encouraged to avoid the formation of lower extremity blood clots. After two weeks, patients are allowed to gradually resume normal non strenuous activities. Strenuous activities such as lifting a twenty pound baby are not allowed for at least four to six weeks. At six weeks, most patients are able to resume all of their normal activities.It’s important to remember that every patient is unique. The specifics of their day to day lives and their procedure will have a significant impact upon their recovery. In some cases, return to normality will occur quickly, while in others who have more demanding lifestyles, it may take longer. In your current situation, having child care assistance will be critical to your recovery.Make sure you discuss this issue with your plastic surgeon. Your surgeon may have important insights which will ultimately help your recovery.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Recovery from several procedures

+1

You will need some help at home following your surgery.  Take care of yourself and let someone else do the heavy lifting.  Be sure to work this in to your lifestyle.  Discuss recovery with your Plastic Surgeon, but most will agree 4 to 6 weeks before resuming normal activity. This is important, so please discuss with your surgeon.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Wait 6 Weeks for Normal Activity following Mommy Makeover

+1

The safest answer would be to wait 5 weeks before resuming normal activities including lifting your 20 pound son. This time period is selected because at 6 weeks there is about 90% wound healing has occurred (wound healing tensile strength).

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Time off after Mommy Makeover Surgery

+1

On average, patients take 4-6 weeks off after this much surgery.  You really want to take it easy after this procedure and have as much help as possible.  Try not to lift for at least 6 weeks.  The longer you "baby" yourself, the better!

Best Wishes!

Lifting restrictions after tummy tuck

+1

It is not specifically the strict weight of lifting that concerns us but the use of the stomach muscles. I have had one person. who was accustomed to having a bowel movement everyday, strain so intensely that they ruptured the muscle repair.

Our concerns with lifting are related to two features:

1.The potential for bleeding in the first 24 hours and then again between 7-10 days
2.The possibility of rupturing the muscle repair. This can occur anytime for 6 weeks after surgery.
However, the limitations are subject to interpretation and, in my practice, I advise patients to be cautious for 2 weeks. When lifting children, I ask that friends or partners place the child in your lap or that you use your legs and thighs to lift

Recovery process after a tummy tuck

+1

Tummy tucks are a very popular and effective way to contour the abdomen and tighten your waist. Patients undergoing this procedure should understand that there is a significant recovery process as well. In our practice, we provide every patient with two separate compression garments that help provide even compression throughout the areas that have been treated and also provide support. Our patients routinely take 10 to 14 days off work after the surgery but quite commonly returned to work sooner than that. We asked our patients walk as much as possible for exercise immediately after surgery and wait 4 to 6 weeks before returning to the gym for full activity.

To learn more about tummy tucks, see photos, and help you decide which one is best for you, please visit us at the link below:

Pat Pazmino, MD

In general, 6 weeks recovery time

+1

In general you will need 6 weeks of recovery. However, a gradual return to physical activity is recommended. You should plan to have help for at least 3-4 weeks.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS