What is a Mommy Makeover?

overheard a woman say she was thinking about a "Mommy Make over".  what is this? does it require lots of surgery?  i had been considering a tummy tuck but maybe i should look into this instead??

What is a Mommy Makeover

Mommy Makeover is a surgery, or surgeries that help a woman look and feel more like she did prior to pregnancies and childbirth. Typically, the procedure consists of a tummy tuck and some kind of breast surgery. Possibly a breast augmentation, a breast lift, or a lift and an augmentation together. A link to my mommy makeover gallery is below.  I would suggest that prospective patients look at mommy makeover before and after photos in addition to seperate before and after images of tummy tucks, breast augmentation  and breasts lifts to see more of a plastic surgeons' work. 

Some women elect to have post baby body concerns addressed in a single surgery, Others prefer to stage surgeries for various reasons. In many women, it reasonable to perform both breast lift and a tummy tuck in a single surgery.

Pricing for this surgery will vary significantly, based on the extent of a tummy tuck, and also based on the training and expertise of a plastic surgeon. The most expensive plastic surgeon may not always be the best, but the lowest priced surgeon will almost certainly be cutting corners that could impact your safety and / or results.
Look for lots of before and after photos of tummy tucks, breasts lifts and mommy makeovers. Scars around the belly button are a dead giveaway of a tummy tuck. There should NOT be visible scars around the belly button. Fullness in the upper abdomen is a result that would not be the ideal for most patients. Plastic surgeons who are unable to create natural looking belly buttons, or who rush through surgery without addressing upper abdominal fullness may charge lower prices than plastic surgeons who have the training, ability and interest in providing the very best possible result. 

A Mommy Makeover is a very significant procedure. Safety is of utmost importance. Take your time researching your plastic surgeon carefully. 

The following are a few things that can distinguish some surgeons from others

1) Graduating from a top tier medical school at the top of their class.

2) Membership in Alpha Omega Alpha. THis is the medical honors society. Alpha Omega Alpha is to medicine what Phi Beta Kappa is to letters

3) Formal surgical training from prestigious medical universities. The minimum number of years of surgical training for plastic surgeons to be bord certified in five years. Some physicians have as many as ten years of formal surgical training. There simply is no substitute for stelar academic and practical surgical training.

4) Very experienced surgeons with meticulous surgical technique and natural looking outcomes will have photgraphic evidence of their work. Patients should be able to view many photos of the surgery of interest, photgraphed from three different perspectives all with similar lighting, distance from the camera and cropping

The elite experience extends beyond the surgeon to the facility, and the surgical team. You should be able to see the surgical theater and know who else will be in the OR with you during surgery. The Joint Commission (JCAHO) is an organization that provides certification to hospital OR's. The Joint Commission and AAAASF are two of the organizations that can provide certification to surgical suites. Some plastic surgeons elect to have their surgery centers dually certified.

The anesthesia experience is critical to a safe and comfortable surgical experience. A board certified anesthesiologist can administer general or MAC anesthesia. My preference is to have a board-certified anesthesiologist at the bedside of my patients for the duration of surgery.

Plastic surgeons who cater to high profile individuals who place a high value on privacy will have a private first floor entrance and exit so patients never need to be in a public lobby or elevator for pre-operative or post operative visits.

You need to feel like your surgeon listens to you and understands your goals. You need to feel a connection with staff members and you should never feel pressured into scheduling surgery. Prior to scheduling surgery, you should be able to speak to previous patients who have had the same surgery.
Regardless of how you decide who you see, ask yourself the following questions after your consultation appointment(s):
Is this surgeon qualified to perform the surgery I am considering?
Do I like this person? Will I enjoy seeing them over the course of my surgery and recovery?
Was my complete medical history taken and examined in detail?
Did this physician truly listen to me as I explained my thoughts about the improvement I am seeking?
Does this physician share my aesthetic sensibility? Do they understand me and are they able to provide exactly what I am looking for?
Was I provided with a thorough understanding of all options available (both surgical and non-surgical)?
Was I shown photographic examples of surgical outcomes that give me confidence?
Was the office staff professional, friendly and accommodating?
Was I pressured in any way to proceed with surgery?
Does this surgeon perform aesthetic surgery exclusively or is aesthetic surgery a small percentage of the pratice?

You must be absolutely certain that your plastic surgeon's aesthetic sensibility matches your aesthetic goals. I have a very particular aesthetic vision, and I do not pretend to be the plastic surgeon for everybody. I strive to produce surgical results that are natural-appearing, results that do not advertise a trip to the operating room. For example, I do not perform breast augmentation for patients that are seeking an overly large and distinctly `done' breast appearance. And I have a particular distaste for cheek implants, as I think they rarely produce natural-appearing cheek contours, and instead prefer to enhance facial volume by means of structural fat grafting. Make sure that your plastic surgeon's philosophy and preferred approaches are consistent with the goals that you have in mind.
Adequate communication is obviously invaluable, and you should be able to communicate clearly and easily not only with your doctor, but also with your doctor's staff. Over the course of preparing for and recovering from aesthetic surgery, your doctor's staff will have an important and active role. Make sure that your interaction with the staff gives you confidence that you will receive the care and attention that you expect, and deserve, postoperatively.

You are trusting a plastic surgeon with your health and well being, and also to make a permanent change in your body. take your time doing your research. 

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover is a Tummy Tuck and Breast Augmentation and or Lift

Mommy Makeover typically involves a Tummy Tuck and a Breast Augmentation and or a Breast Lift.

After pregnacy, especially multiple pregnancies or unusually large births or twins, women find that it is very difficult to return their body to their pre pregnancy shape. In spite of dieting and very serious exercise, they find that loose skin of the abdomen will not tighten and the breast are smaller and have lost shape.

A combination of a Tummy Tuck and Breast augmentation and or Breast Lift can often help these patients achieve the shape and feeling that enhances their feeling of well being and fitness.

What is a Mommy Makeover

In most cases, Mommy Makeover involves a tummy tuck and breast lift with or without breast implants.  I also add in some liposuction at the same time to achieve the best results.  However, each procedure is tailored to the individual patient.  

David Shafer, MD

Mommy Makeover Information

Although it’s a beautiful, life-changing experience, the process of becoming a mother can take a significant toll on a woman’s body. Typically, the most significant changes are apparent in the breasts and abdomen, as volume loss and hormone fluctuations create a sagging appearance. Fat also accumulates in “problem areas” like the thighs and buttocks, which can be difficult to target even with the most regimented diet and exercise plans.
To help women restore the youthful contours characteristic of their pre-pregnancy bodies, Dr. Hochstein offers the Mommy Makeover procedure.

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of cosmetic procedures performed all at the same time to correct the following:
  • Sagging breasts
  • Small breasts
  • A protruding abdomen
  • Separated abdominal muscles
  • Sagging skin on the abdomen
  • Excess fat on certain areas of the body
Candidates For The Mommy MakeoverThe best candidates for the Mommy Makeover wish to correct the impact that childbirth and breastfeeding have had on their bodies.
Those who experience the best results can relate to the following:
  • Are finished having children
  • Do not smoke
  • Have realistic expectations for the procedure
Mommy Makeover ProcedureSince every woman has different aesthetic needs, the Mommy Makeover is completely customized for each patient. Breast lift, breast augmentation, tummy tuck, and liposuction are the four main procedures the patient can choose from.

The Mommy Makeover

Mommy makeover is a term given to any group of body contouring procedures intended to correct some of the unwanted body changes that result from pregnancy. Typically, a mommy makeover would include some type of abdominal recontouring procedure. Usually, the procedure is a full abdominoplasty. Sometimes however, only liposuction or a mini abdominoplasty is necessary.

A full abdominoplasty begins with an incision that goes from one hip to the other. Normally it is placed low enough so the patient can still wear a two-piece bathing suit. After the incision is made, the skin and fat layer is lifted off of the muscle layer up to the umbilicus. At this point, the umbilicus is disconnected from the skin so that the skin and fat layer can be elevated up to the rib cage. Usually, the muscle layer can then be tightened by placing stitches along a line from the rib cage down to the pubic bone. Following that, the skin and fat is pulled tight down to the lower incision and the extra skin and fat are removed. The belly button is then brought out through a new hole at the same level that it was at before. The lower abdominal incision is then closed. This operation requires the longest recovery time of all of the procedures associated with a mommy makeover.

A mini abdominoplasty normally begins with liposuction of the entire abdominal wall. Following that, excess skin between the belly button and the pubic area is removed. No improvement in skin tightening is accomplished above the belly button and no muscle tightening is accomplished either. The only skin that is tightened is the skin between the belly button and the pubic area. The recovery time for this would be less than a full abdominoplasty.

Sometimes liposuction only is a satisfactory solution.

Many women want liposuction of the hip and thigh area following pregnancy. When necessary, this is included in the mommy makeover procedure.

The breasts may undergo significant changes through pregnancy and breast feeding. Some women lose volume and require a breast implant for restoration. Some patients develop sagging of the breasts which requires a breast lift. Occasionally, women may request a breast reduction after pregnancy and breast feeding. A breast enlargement entails the placement of an implant, usually under the muscle layer of the chest wall in order to fill out the breasts. The implant can either be filled with saline, which is saltwater, or silicone. A breast lift normally entails an incision around the areola which is the dark skin surrounding the nipple. Often there is an additional incision between the areola and the fold of the breast and sometimes there is an additional incision in the crease of the breast. Many times the breast lift is combined with a breast augmentation in order to get the best and longest term outcome.

The mommy makeover is a very popular procedure. When all three procedures are done at the same time, the patient has only one recovery time and usually the cost is significantly less than it would be if each of these procedures were performed at different times.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

The Mommy Makeover: Combination of Breast Surgery, Tummy Tuck, and Liposuction

The mommy makeover is one of the most popular operations performed by plastic surgeons. The procedure is a combination of cosmetic breast surgery, liposuction, and abdominoplasty (tummy tuck). It has been designed to correct changes that occur normally with pregnancy. During pregnancy and breast- feeding, the breasts typically increase in size. After pregnancy and breast- feeding, a variety of scenarios may occur. In some cases, the breasts may not return to their previous sizes. In this situation, a breast reduction may be necessary.
In other cases, the breasts will shrink to their previous sizes, but will have excess, saggy skin and require a breast lift. Some patients will lose volume and require a breast augmentation, while others will have sag and volume loss and require a breast augmentation and breast lift.
The abdominal wall is also affected. It becomes stretched and there is usually redundant, saggy skin, stretch marks, and weakened muscles. This will require abdominoplasty, mini abdominoplasty, or abdominal wall liposuction.
Women also frequently note an increase in fat accumulation in their hips and thighs. These patients will typically require liposuction.
There are multiple advantages in performing these procedures in combination. These include an improved overall result, lowered cost, and a single recovery. Patients typically report increased self-esteem, self-image, and an overall improvement in the quality of their lives. For these reasons, the mommy makeover is one of the most popular operations that is currently performed in plastic surgery.

What is a Mommy Makeover?

A mommy makeover refers to any combination of procedures designed to restore a woman's body to its prepregnancy state.

A woman's body undergoes a lot of changes as a result of pregnancy. These changes primarily affect the breasts and abdomen. The breast skin stretches causing the nipples to appear lower with an overall loss of breast shape and volume. This gives the appearance of "saggy" breasts. There are a number of procedures that can be performed including breast augmentation with implants, breast lift or a combination of the two to improve the overall aesthetic of the breasts.

In addition to excess weight that may be difficult to lose after pregnancy, the abdominal skin and muscles stretch resulting in a loose unflattering appearance. There are a number of procedures that can be performed including liposuction, abdominoplasty, and C section scar revision to correct the loose skin and tighten the abdominal muscles to provide a "corset" to the abdomen and improve the overall contour. 

Scott Farber, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

What is a Mommy Makeover?

A Mommy Makeover is a very descriptive term that someone came up with to describe correcting the most common adverse effects of pregnancy, particularly to the breast and abdomen.

Typically breast after pregnancy lose volume and sometimes they sag, and the abdomen may become protuberant from separation of muscles, and there may be loose skin or even an apron of skin. There may also be an accumulation of fat in the abdomen that is very difficult to lose even with dieting and exercising.

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of correcting both the breast and the abdomen at the same time. This saves recovery time and expense, since many of the supplies and anesthesia are already paid for with the first procedure.

The breast surgery may include an implant with or without an uplift. Or, an uplift (mastopexy) may be indicated alone or with fat transfer.

The procedure for the abdomen is usually a tummy tuck or a liposuction or even a mini-tummy tuck with liposuction. There are many options available, but to answer your question directly, the Mommy Makeover does involve surgery.

The Mommy Makeover has become very popular across the country and in our practice, and the results are some of the happiest patients ever.

What is a mommy makeover?

The term mommy makeover has been used to describe the common surgical procedures used to improve the changes that women see with their bodies after pregnancy. Most people consider the mommy makeover to include a tummy tuck procedure along with some type of breast procedure (breast augmentation, breast lift, or both). 

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover

A mommy makeover is a lay term for plastic surgery that improves the areas most affected by having babies.....the tummy and breasts. A mommy makeover combines abdominal improvement with breast enhancement surgery. 

The abdomen is improved by either liposuction or tummy tuck. The breast is improved  by performing a breast augmentation, lift or reduction. The operations are customized to the patients exact needs. Combining these operations in one procedure makes recovery easier since recovering from combined procedures is not much different than recovering from a single procedure. In our clinic mommy makeovers are becoming very popular and give patients great results.