What is a Mommy Makeover?

overheard a woman say she was thinking about a "Mommy Make over".  what is this? does it require lots of surgery?  i had been considering a tummy tuck but maybe i should look into this instead??

What is a Mommy Makeover

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Mommy Makeover is a surgery, or surgeries that help a woman look and feel more like she did prior to pregnancies and childbirth. Typically, the procedure consists of a tummy tuck and some kind of breast surgery. Possibly a breast augmentation, a breast lift, or a lift and an augmentation together. A link to my mommy makeover gallery is below.  I would suggest that prospective patients look at mommy makeover before and after photos in addition to seperate before and after images of tummy tucks, breast augmentation  and breasts lifts to see more of a plastic surgeons' work. 

Some women elect to have post baby body concerns addressed in a single surgery, Others prefer to stage surgeries for various reasons. In many women, it reasonable to perform both breast lift and a tummy tuck in a single surgery.

Pricing for this surgery will vary significantly, based on the extent of a tummy tuck, and also based on the training and expertise of a plastic surgeon. The most expensive plastic surgeon may not always be the best, but the lowest priced surgeon will almost certainly be cutting corners that could impact your safety and / or results.
Look for lots of before and after photos of tummy tucks, breasts lifts and mommy makeovers. Scars around the belly button are a dead giveaway of a tummy tuck. There should NOT be visible scars around the belly button. Fullness in the upper abdomen is a result that would not be the ideal for most patients. Plastic surgeons who are unable to create natural looking belly buttons, or who rush through surgery without addressing upper abdominal fullness may charge lower prices than plastic surgeons who have the training, ability and interest in providing the very best possible result. 

A Mommy Makeover is a very significant procedure. Safety is of utmost importance. Take your time researching your plastic surgeon carefully. 

The following are a few things that can distinguish some surgeons from others

1) Graduating from a top tier medical school at the top of their class.

2) Membership in Alpha Omega Alpha. THis is the medical honors society. Alpha Omega Alpha is to medicine what Phi Beta Kappa is to letters

3) Formal surgical training from prestigious medical universities. The minimum number of years of surgical training for plastic surgeons to be bord certified in five years. Some physicians have as many as ten years of formal surgical training. There simply is no substitute for stelar academic and practical surgical training.

4) Very experienced surgeons with meticulous surgical technique and natural looking outcomes will have photgraphic evidence of their work. Patients should be able to view many photos of the surgery of interest, photgraphed from three different perspectives all with similar lighting, distance from the camera and cropping

The elite experience extends beyond the surgeon to the facility, and the surgical team. You should be able to see the surgical theater and know who else will be in the OR with you during surgery. The Joint Commission (JCAHO) is an organization that provides certification to hospital OR's. The Joint Commission and AAAASF are two of the organizations that can provide certification to surgical suites. Some plastic surgeons elect to have their surgery centers dually certified.

The anesthesia experience is critical to a safe and comfortable surgical experience. A board certified anesthesiologist can administer general or MAC anesthesia. My preference is to have a board-certified anesthesiologist at the bedside of my patients for the duration of surgery.

Plastic surgeons who cater to high profile individuals who place a high value on privacy will have a private first floor entrance and exit so patients never need to be in a public lobby or elevator for pre-operative or post operative visits.

You need to feel like your surgeon listens to you and understands your goals. You need to feel a connection with staff members and you should never feel pressured into scheduling surgery. Prior to scheduling surgery, you should be able to speak to previous patients who have had the same surgery.
Regardless of how you decide who you see, ask yourself the following questions after your consultation appointment(s):
Is this surgeon qualified to perform the surgery I am considering?
Do I like this person? Will I enjoy seeing them over the course of my surgery and recovery?
Was my complete medical history taken and examined in detail?
Did this physician truly listen to me as I explained my thoughts about the improvement I am seeking?
Does this physician share my aesthetic sensibility? Do they understand me and are they able to provide exactly what I am looking for?
Was I provided with a thorough understanding of all options available (both surgical and non-surgical)?
Was I shown photographic examples of surgical outcomes that give me confidence?
Was the office staff professional, friendly and accommodating?
Was I pressured in any way to proceed with surgery?
Does this surgeon perform aesthetic surgery exclusively or is aesthetic surgery a small percentage of the pratice?

You must be absolutely certain that your plastic surgeon's aesthetic sensibility matches your aesthetic goals. I have a very particular aesthetic vision, and I do not pretend to be the plastic surgeon for everybody. I strive to produce surgical results that are natural-appearing, results that do not advertise a trip to the operating room. For example, I do not perform breast augmentation for patients that are seeking an overly large and distinctly `done' breast appearance. And I have a particular distaste for cheek implants, as I think they rarely produce natural-appearing cheek contours, and instead prefer to enhance facial volume by means of structural fat grafting. Make sure that your plastic surgeon's philosophy and preferred approaches are consistent with the goals that you have in mind.
Adequate communication is obviously invaluable, and you should be able to communicate clearly and easily not only with your doctor, but also with your doctor's staff. Over the course of preparing for and recovering from aesthetic surgery, your doctor's staff will have an important and active role. Make sure that your interaction with the staff gives you confidence that you will receive the care and attention that you expect, and deserve, postoperatively.

You are trusting a plastic surgeon with your health and well being, and also to make a permanent change in your body. take your time doing your research. 

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover is a Tummy Tuck and Breast Augmentation and or Lift

Mommy Makeover typically involves a Tummy Tuck and a Breast Augmentation and or a Breast Lift.

After pregnacy, especially multiple pregnancies or unusually large births or twins, women find that it is very difficult to return their body to their pre pregnancy shape. In spite of dieting and very serious exercise, they find that loose skin of the abdomen will not tighten and the breast are smaller and have lost shape.

A combination of a Tummy Tuck and Breast augmentation and or Breast Lift can often help these patients achieve the shape and feeling that enhances their feeling of well being and fitness.

What is a mommy makeover?

The term mommy makeover has been used to describe the common surgical procedures used to improve the changes that women see with their bodies after pregnancy. Most people consider the mommy makeover to include a tummy tuck procedure along with some type of breast procedure (breast augmentation, breast lift, or both). 

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover

A mommy makeover is a lay term for plastic surgery that improves the areas most affected by having babies.....the tummy and breasts. A mommy makeover combines abdominal improvement with breast enhancement surgery. 

The abdomen is improved by either liposuction or tummy tuck. The breast is improved  by performing a breast augmentation, lift or reduction. The operations are customized to the patients exact needs. Combining these operations in one procedure makes recovery easier since recovering from combined procedures is not much different than recovering from a single procedure. In our clinic mommy makeovers are becoming very popular and give patients great results. 

What is a Mommy Makeover

In most cases, Mommy Makeover involves a tummy tuck and breast lift with or without breast implants.  I also add in some liposuction at the same time to achieve the best results.  However, each procedure is tailored to the individual patient.  

David Shafer, MD

Mommy Makeover is many things

Thanks for your great question. In our San Francisco area practice we frequently perform mommy makeovers.

A mommy makeover can be any procedure or combination of procedures designed to correct cosmetic issues that can happen after pregnancy.

The most common procedures considered as part of a mommy makeover include:

Abdominoplasty
After pregnancy there can be significant excess skin and separation of your rectus (six pack) muscles which can cause an unflattering abdominal contour. A tummy tuck can correct this.

Breast Lift / Augmentation
After pregnancy and breast feeding the breast can have significant shape changes, usually losing volume and becoming more saggy.

Liposuction
Sometimes after pregnancy, even when you're back to your pre-pregnancy weight there can be excess fat or contour problems in places that you didn't have issues with before. Liposuction can help correct this.

These are the main three but in our San Francisco area practice we also consider correction of hyperpigmentation, c-section scar revision and other procedures as part of a mommy makeover.

Be sure to find a board certified plastic surgeon to help with your concerns.

I hope this helps!

Mommy makeover is a combination of plastic surgery procedures

Mommy makeover is usually the combination of a breast operation and an abdominal procedure.

The breast operation can be an augmentation, a lift or a combination of the two. The abdominal operation is usually a mini or a full abdominoplasty.

It is an excellent procedure to deal with stretched out skin and abdominal weakness after pregnancy and breast feeding.

Irvin M. Wiesman, MD

Treatments involved in "Mommy Makeover" vary

A "Mommy Makeover" is a series of procedures meant to rejuvenate a woman after childbearing. It can include a breast lift with or without implants, tummy tuck, liposuction and at times, thigh lifts. The term does not refer to one specific procedure. It is more of a generic category.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

A mommy makeover is a catchy phrase that refers to...

A mommy makeover is a catchy phrase that refers to surgery for women who have completed having children. This really can refer to several different procedures.

Think of the things that have changed after child birth:

• the abdomen gets loose
  • the breasts can sag
  • sometimes the weight doesn't come off completely that was gained during pregnancy

All these things can be treated by plastic surgery.

An abdominoplasty can tighten the abdomen and get rid of loose skin. Liposuction can remove fatty deposits that don't go away with exercise. If the breast sag, then a breast lift can be performed. If the breasts have deflated then a breast augmentation with implants can be performed. Sometimes the breasts need a lift and an implant as well.