Can I Still Get a Tummy Tuck and Breast Implants After Open Heart Surgery?

I had open heart surgery 9 years ago to remove a non cancerous tumor. I have given birth vaginally to two chidren since. Can I still get a tummy tuck and breast implants now.

Candidate for surgery?

+2

Dear nbrksvil,

The best way to see if you you are a surgical candidate is to be evaluated by a Plastic surgeon.  He/She can examine you and determine if further pre op evaluation for your procedure is warranted.  My guess is that two successful pregnancies should be a pretty good indication of your overall health status.  Good luck.

Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Cosmetic Procedures after Open Heart Surgery

+2

The answer is a qualified 'yes' provided you are cleared by the anesthesiologist. He or she may seek the opinions of other specialists but it has to be the anesthesiologist who makes the decision.

J. Brian Boyd, MD

Tummy tuck and breast implants after heart surgery

+2

The answer is maybe. Providing you are a good candidate for the cosmetic surgeries,  I would require a cardiac clearance from your cardiologist.

Jack Peterson, MD
Topeka Plastic Surgeon

Cosmetic Surgery after Heart Surgery

+1
From the limited medical history you gave of having two pregnancies previously, I suspect you would also do fine with a tummy tuck and breast augmentation procedures. Of course I would check with your primary care doctor and heart surgeon to be sure.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Tummy tuck surgery after open heart surgery

+1

I would consult your cardiologist as to their opinion as to whether you would be fit for an anaesthetic prior to consulting a plastic surgeon. If your cardiologist thinks you are fit, and your plastic surgeon thinks you are a good surgical candidate, the anaesthetist may still want to do some further investigations. As plastic surgeons performing elective surgery such as TT and breast augmentation, we tend to be pretty cautious about patients with significant medical histories. Although tummy tuck and breast implant surgery are safe and effective, there still is the potential for serious side effects. Your overall well-being is your plastic surgeon's main concern. If there were any doubts about your fitness for surgery, I don't think your plastic surgeon would proceed.

Damian Marucci, MBBS, FRACS
Australia Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck and Breast Implants After Open Heart Surgery?

+1

Provided you are in overall good health, a history of open heart surgery by itself would not disqualify you from having cosmetic surgery.  As in all cosmetic surgery, it is recommended to have a medical clearance by a cardiologist and anesthesiologist, to ensure you are safe for surgery and to optimize your health before surgery.

Michel C. Samson, MD
Daytona Beach Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover Safety?

+1

Based on your history I think it is very likely that you will be able to undergo “mommy makeover” surgery safely. Preoperative workup by your cardiologist will give you and your plastic surgeon peace of mind.

Absolutely

+1

There is no reason why you cannot undergo these procedures given you are today in good health. Your surgeon will probably require you to be medically cleared by your heart surgeon and or internist prior to agreeing to perform your cosmetic surgery.

David A. Ross, MD

Previous Heart Surgery Probably Not Contraindication To Mommy Makeover

+1

I am assuming that your tumor was benign since you had your surgery performed nine years ago and is most likely not a deterrent to undergoing a tummy tuck and augmentation at this time.  To be certain, however, you should check with your cardiologist and/or your cardiac surgeon for their opinion.

John Whitt, MD