Purpose of Binder After Tummy Tuck?

I've done a lot of research on Tummy Tuck and about the doctor I have choosen to do the procedure. I'm feeling great and excited about it. I only have one concern; my surgeon says he does not use binders after surgery. He feels they don't do much and that they are over used by other doctors. What exactly is the purpose of a binder after a Tummy Tuck and is what he says true, that they don't really do anything for the Tummy Tuck results as far as for better appearance or comfort?

Binders are always helpful after tummy tuck

I answered this very question yesterday from another individual concerning how long to wear a binder and how should it fit. The binder is very helpful after abdominoplasty, or tummy tuck, and it should fit snug and comfortably without being tight. The binder supports the abdomen as you sit, stand up, deep breathe, or cough as needed, and supports the back as well as the abdomen.

During the tummy tuck procedure, there is often a repair or tightening of the muscle layer in the abdomen to improve the tone and contour. The pull on the muscle is reduced with the support of the binder and will improve your comfort. Also, the area exposed as the skin excess is removed is large and prone to collect fluid called a seroma. The binder will reduce movement and friction in the tummy, and reduce swelling and the potential for fluid to accumulate. In general, you will get up easier, feel better, and possibly heal faster with a binder so I would certainly wear it.

How long for the binder? We have patients wear them for the first two weeks. They will fit nicely under loose clothing, and we always recommend a cotton T under the binder, pulled down past your bottom. The cotton is cleaner and more comfortable on the skin and the newly healing incision, After two weeks, we transition into a Spanx with a high waist (the Higher Power) for about two weeks longer, or until confident without.

Best of luck

peterejohnsonmd