Do Tear Drop Implants Rotate?

I'm a petite A cup, I'm trying to get fat transfer first to get more breast tissue and a better basis for implants. tear drop shaped implants or round implants? WANT: natural look, preferably large B or a small C cup. scared of wrinkling/rippling of the implants, it says that non textured, under the muscle silicon implants are the ones to prevent rippling. tear drop shaped implant will rotate if its not textured? does that mea it will wrinkle? do all tear drop implants rotate?

Fat transfer and anatomical implants

+6

Dear Sue,

I am surprised by the lack of support for anatomical implants amongst the responses.  I use both round and anatomical implants for breast augmentation.  It is true that the round implants do not run the risk of rotation but when you only have a little natural breast tissue, much of the shape of the breast will be dictated by the implant.  For this reason, patients like yourself (petite A cup requiring a natural look), I feel are best served with an anatomical implant and rotation is only a potential risk and by no means certain.  A round implant will run the risk of giving too much fullness in the upper part of the breast and the so-called 'operated on' look.

With regard to fat transfer, I think this is a fantastic tool and I am using it a lot in my reconstructive practice.  I personally, would put an anatomical implant under the muscle and this 9 times out of 10 gives a fantastic result.  If the soft tissue cover is not sufficient despite the submuscular placement of the implant and you are unlucky enough to get rippling, I would then think about doing fat transfers over the implant to help to cover this.  Good luck.

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Tear Drop or Anatomic Breast Implants Can Rotate: Variables in Breast Augmentation

+2

Anatomic breast implants or tear drop shaped implants must be textured to facilitate adherence to prevent rotation when placed in the breast pocket. The textured shell can be thicker and form more visible rippling. These factors introduce negative variables into a procedure which should have a very reliable outcome. A conservative smooth, round implant placed under the muscle can produce a very natural look which can be delivered with a high degree of predictability.  I hope this helps. Dr. Trussler

Andrew P. Trussler, MD

Fat transfer and form-stable teardrop implants

+2

I would disagree with one of the previous commenters- fat grafting to the breast has entered the mainstream and it is a safe and reasonable way to add volume to the breast. As for teardrop shaped 'form stable' implants, I think there a few unique anatomic indications to use these shaped devices (constricted breasts, for example) - and they certainly appear to have a lower capsular contracture rate than our current round silicone implants (in the USA)...but the implant rotation is a problem- precise implant pocket dissection is essential to keep these devices from spinning around and changing the shape of the breast.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Tear Drop Implants for Augmentation

+2

I do not use tear drop implants because when they are placed under the pectoralis muscle - they look the same as round implants, unless they rotate - then they look very awkward.  Little benefit, big risks.

Silicone implants are a good choice in most patients with small amount of breast tissue to cover the implants.  You can get a very natural result.

Richard Greco, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

All Anatomical Implants Are Textured

+2

First off, all anatomical ( tear-drop) shaped implants are textured.  They are designed with the texturing to insure that they do not rotate at all.  If they do, then the volume will shift and distort the shape of the breast.  Fat trasfers to the breast are very controversial and you should proceed with caution.  Any little bit of fat necrosis ( not all of the fat will live once replanted) will calcify and can mimic breast cancer.  This makes mammograms and a diagnosis harder.  This is why in the US it is still looked upon with scepticism and caution.  Going under the muscle would be very advisable, but if you are extremely thin, then the chances of some rippling with any type of implant are higher, regardless of the placement and the size.  I hope this helps. 

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Tear Drop Shaped Implants

+1
In my practice I use primarily smooth round high profile silicone implants. They provide a natural look and feel and have a decreased risk of wrinkling.

Regarding your question concerning tear drop shaped implants, in order to minimize the risk of implant rotation, surgeons limit the size of the pocket they create. The textured surface of these implants further reduce the chance of rotation, however, that is one of the potential risks of shaped implants.

Michael E. Ciaravino, MD

Anatomic implants and rotation

+1

Yes, anatomic shaped implants can rotate if there is not proper adherence between the implant surface and the capsule.  The risk of superior pole rotation is in the 8% range. 

Teardrop or anatomic implants

+1

Teardrop or anatomic implants have a textured coating to promote adherance to the breast tissue thereby preventing rotation or movement of the implant.  However, even with the textured coat, they can rotate which can result in a distorted appearance of the breast, especially in thin women with limited soft tissue coverage. 

John Burns, MD

Yes they can

+1
Tear drop implants can rotate and become distorted even though they are textured.  I have found that the round implants tend to provide the greatest amount of lift, fullness, and cleavage and due to the round shape, it does not pose the risk of implant rotation. I do not like tear drop implants

Gregory Turowski, MD, PhD

Teardrop implants rotate.

+1

Anatomic implants may sound sexy but they are textured (and more likely to be palpable); they have also rotated resulting in an abnormal look. I generally avoid these but use them for breast reconstruction.