Breast Implants - 400cc Too Big for Small D?

I recently had breast augmentation and asked the PS for small D full C. I am 5'2, 105lbs and I was given 400cc. I feel like this amount was too big too achieve this look as I started off with a 32C. I have many friends who are taller than me and wider than me and they were given the same amount or even less to go from an A cup to a D cup. I have not D&F yet but thinking in the end I am probably going to be more like a DD or E. Am I being anxious or am I calculating this whole cc's thing wrong?

Breast implant size

The look of 400cc implants depends on your frame, height, body weight, and amount of soft tissue. I would suggest waiting for your post-operative swelling to decrease and for your implants to drop before drawing any final conclusions about sizing. This can take up to six months. Be sure to have a dialogue with your surgeon about your goals and expectations. Best of luck.

Cc's and cup size

Dear Miami4877,

It appears that you are very early in the post op period.  Please, keep in mind that there is swelling that needs to subside and the implants will drop over the next 3-4 months to give you a smaller more natural breasts and look.

400cc implants look different in different people. Considering that you started off a 32C, it is likely very difficult to impossible to keep you a C cup or even a small D. Based on your examination there is a certain volume which best fits your body. Given that you are 5'2" and 105, 400ccs seems a bit large, but I can not tell you for sure as pre-op measurements, photos and exam are all essential in determining the range of implants that would have best fit you. 

Cup size is a ratio of breast volume to chest circumference it is tough to estimate exact post-operative bra sizes. Another confounding factor is that there is no standardization of this ratio by bra manufacturers.
However, a loose rule of thumb is that it takes about 150-200cc to make a change in cup size in a 34 circumference chest. Therefore if you are already a 34C, adding 400 will likely increase you a bit more than 2 cup sizes, likely (but not for sure) making you a DD or even more depending of how full of an C you were to begin with. If you buy 36 size bras you will find that the cup size would be smaller, so you may be 36C or D. Keep in mind, this is a very rough estimate and the goal should be the look and not a bra size. 

My best advise is that you discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon candidly. Best wishes. 

Luis H. Macias, MD

There are many variables in recommending implant size/type. I base my implant recommendation on patients' body (chest height, chest width, existing breast tissue) as well as their desired look. I usually do not talk about cup size. As you know, cup size varies with brand and styles of bra. I would go for the desired look. Review before and after photos and see what kind of look that you want.
Implants come in different types (silicone, saline), shape (round, anatomic), and profiles and volume. As you increase the profile of implant, you will get a larger implant.
More meaningful recommendation can be made based on direct examination and in-person consultation.
Please visit with a board-certified plastic surgeon.
Best regards.

Depends on pre-surgery measurements

Implant size and the resulting cup size really depends on your pre-surgery measurements, such as your breast width and height. That's why your implants may look different on you.

Body shape and breast implants

Breast implants vary in shape, profile, size and base diameter.  150cc is approximately one cup size.  I first have the implant fit the base diameter of the breast and then increase profile and size to reach the patients desired cup size and shape.  Every body is different.

D Cup after breast implants

I avoid using cup size when discussing breast augmenbtation results with patients. I ude biodimensional planning to give them a rangle of sizes that will look natural and ideal for their body type. Before and after photos can be an excellent way to communicate what you are look for from surgery.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Implant size

It looks as if you are very early out. It is very hard to tell this early out what your breast size will be. You are very swollen and your implants are riding high. Once everything is settled and the swelling has subsided, then I would judge the size... the process can take up to 6 months.
As for the 400cc, everyone starts out with different breast size and shapes, so to compare with your other friends isn't a fair comparison.
My advise is to wait it out... for atleast 6 months, if you're still feeling like they're too big, then consult with your PS and see what your options are at that point.

Gregory C. Gaines, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants

The exact same implant size can look very different on different women depending on frame, existing breast tissue and other factors. Keep in mind that breast implant size does not directly correlate to bra size; they are two completely different measurements.

I think it is too early to worry about final results, as you are still pretty early on in the healing process. You’re also still getting used to your new look. Most women are nervous that they went too big when they first see their results, but after the implants settle, in my experience most women usually love their results. It is important to give your results time to reveal themselves and remain patient.

David N. Sayah, MD, FACS

Breast implants

400 cc implants will look differently on different people.  It is hard to say what the final size will be until the swelling comes down.  If you ultimately are unhappy with the volume, you should discuss it with yoru surgeon.