Breast Implants - 400cc Too Big for Small D?

I recently had breast augmentation and asked the PS for small D full C. I am 5'2, 105lbs and I was given 400cc. I feel like this amount was too big too achieve this look as I started off with a 32C. I have many friends who are taller than me and wider than me and they were given the same amount or even less to go from an A cup to a D cup. I have not D&F yet but thinking in the end I am probably going to be more like a DD or E. Am I being anxious or am I calculating this whole cc's thing wrong?

Breast implants

+2

400 cc implants will look differently on different people.  It is hard to say what the final size will be until the swelling comes down.  If you ultimately are unhappy with the volume, you should discuss it with yoru surgeon.

Body shape and breast implants

+1
Breast implants vary in shape, profile, size and base diameter.  150cc is approximately one cup size.  I first have the implant fit the base diameter of the breast and then increase profile and size to reach the patients desired cup size and shape.  Every body is different.

D Cup after breast implants

+1
I avoid using cup size when discussing breast augmenbtation results with patients. I ude biodimensional planning to give them a rangle of sizes that will look natural and ideal for their body type. Before and after photos can be an excellent way to communicate what you are look for from surgery.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants & Petite Frame

+1

It’s almost impossible to make decisions about breast size in the immediate post-operative period. However, it does seem that someone who is petite and already a C cup, might not need this much volume. With this said, many patients in your situation will ultimately be happy when their swelling disappears.

Patients undergoing breast augmentation can anticipate significant swelling in the immediate post-operative period. This swelling resolves quickly, with the vast majority being gone in about four to six weeks, but small amounts of residual swelling may be present for up to three to four months following surgery.

Compression bras and dressings are frequently used following breast augmentation to minimize swelling. Swelling can add to a patient’s post-operative discomfort. It can also be the source of anxiety regarding breast size in the immediate post-operative period.

It’s not unusual for patients to express concern about breast size following breast augmentation surgery. In some cases, swelling can be significant and make the breasts look much larger then they will ultimately end up. As swelling resolves, patients rapidly adjust to their new breast size and the majority are happy with their size.

For these reasons, we feel it’s important for the patient and the surgeon to have good communication regarding this topic immediately following surgery. In this situation, a little reassurance can go a long way towards making this a more comfortable experience. Be patient, it’s far too early to be concerned about revisional surgery. There’s a good chance, you will end up very happy with your breast size.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Implant size

+1
It looks as if you are very early out. It is very hard to tell this early out what your breast size will be. You are very swollen and your implants are riding high. Once everything is settled and the swelling has subsided, then I would judge the size... the process can take up to 6 months.
As for the 400cc, everyone starts out with different breast size and shapes, so to compare with your other friends isn't a fair comparison.
My advise is to wait it out... for atleast 6 months, if you're still feeling like they're too big, then consult with your PS and see what your options are at that point.

Gregory C. Gaines, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Cc's and cup size

+1
Dear Miami4877,

It appears that you are very early in the post op period.  Please, keep in mind that there is swelling that needs to subside and the implants will drop over the next 3-4 months to give you a smaller more natural breasts and look.

400cc implants look different in different people. Considering that you started off a 32C, it is likely very difficult to impossible to keep you a C cup or even a small D. Based on your examination there is a certain volume which best fits your body. Given that you are 5'2" and 105, 400ccs seems a bit large, but I can not tell you for sure as pre-op measurements, photos and exam are all essential in determining the range of implants that would have best fit you. 

Cup size is a ratio of breast volume to chest circumference it is tough to estimate exact post-operative bra sizes. Another confounding factor is that there is no standardization of this ratio by bra manufacturers.
However, a loose rule of thumb is that it takes about 150-200cc to make a change in cup size in a 34 circumference chest. Therefore if you are already a 34C, adding 400 will likely increase you a bit more than 2 cup sizes, likely (but not for sure) making you a DD or even more depending of how full of an C you were to begin with. If you buy 36 size bras you will find that the cup size would be smaller, so you may be 36C or D. Keep in mind, this is a very rough estimate and the goal should be the look and not a bra size. 

My best advise is that you discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon candidly. Best wishes. 

Luis H. Macias, MD

Breast Implants

+1

The exact same implant size can look very different on different women depending on frame, existing breast tissue and other factors. Keep in mind that breast implant size does not directly correlate to bra size; they are two completely different measurements.

I think it is too early to worry about final results, as you are still pretty early on in the healing process. You’re also still getting used to your new look. Most women are nervous that they went too big when they first see their results, but after the implants settle, in my experience most women usually love their results. It is important to give your results time to reveal themselves and remain patient.

David N. Sayah, MD, FACS