How Do I Treat Folliculitis Around the Eye Area?

Two and a half weeks after periorbital laser resurfacing, I developed a horrible case of folliculitis on the eyelid and under the eye of the most aggressively treated eye. I thought the only way to get rid of folliculitis was to remove the trapped hair. I have been on antibiotics for a week and had a steroid shot a week ago as well. Now, the redness has turned into pustules. One on my eyelid is huge! I am starting to panic.

Eyelid rash or infection after laser resurfacing

+1

regardless of cause, if an eyelid rash whether infected or not, is not improved and swelling increases with or without pain it is prudent to see an ophthalmologist or oculoplastic surgeon for a second opinion quickly.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs. If you are experiencing a medical emergency proceed to your nearest emergency room.

Folliculitis after laser treatment

+1

Best is to consult a dermatologist to asess the rash and advise on proper treatement.

Anatoli Freiman, MD, FRCPC

Toronto Dermatology Centre

Anatoli Freiman, MD
Toronto Dermatologist

How do I treat folliculitis around the eye area?

+1

I would recommend seeing a Board Certified Dermatologist to give the best advice and treatment.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Folliculitis around eyes

+1

Dear Patient,

It is unfortunate that you developed a rare side-effect after your resurfacing procedure. Folliculitis can occur after fractional resurfacing laser and is treatable by topical and systemic antibiotics. However, if has not been improving after 1 week, it is time to visit your laser surgeon and further investigate your pustules. It is possible that you may have a fungal/yeast infection instead of bacterial folliculitis. So you may need alternative therapy. Good luck.

Marianna Blyumin-Karasik, MD
Hollywood Dermatologist