Pores Seem Larger After Erbium Laser Treatment?

I am 39 years and had one treatment with the Erbium laser to even skin tone and help reduce pore size, especially around the nose as I have blackheads. Following the treatment, my skin peeled which was expected, but the pores around my nose appear much larger and have stayed this way. I was told I could have further treatments and it would help with the pore size, but I am unsure now. Any advice would be appreciated.

Pores larger after laser

+2

Dear Patient,

Decreasing pore size with any treatment is very difficult. It is a challenging area of cosmesis. Commonly, the best response is with combination therapy which usually includes fractional laser (such as erbium laser) and maintenance retinoid cream. The mechanism of function of the fractional lasers is to use light energy to resurface the skin, clean out the pores, and over time stimulate collagen production. Since the pores get cleansed and collagen starts to build up around them, they gradually shrink. However, right after the treatment, the pores might actually look bigger, because they were just cleaned. So you may need to wait a few month and undergo several more treatments to see the effects of your new collagen diminishing the pore size. Meanwhile, talk to your surgeon about using retinoid cream as maintenance therapy. Good luck. 

Hollywood Dermatologist

Post Laser Treatment - Larger Pores

+1

Thank you for your question. After a treatment, transient inflammation may cause temporary enlargement of the pores.  I prefer the C02 fractional laser for tightening of the pores and the skin in general.  I have seen good results with the Erbium, but even better results with the CO2 laser. See a Board Certified Dermatologist or Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for the most effective and safe treatments. I hope this helps.

Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist