Trauma to Nose After Septoplasty?

will my nose become weaker or more fragile after my septoplasty? for example can i box again? or what would happen if i was asaultted?

Trauma to nose after nose surgery

+1

Dear Frencherer,

• You can box again after surgery, and realize that you are at risk for re-deviating your septum
  • Only a small portion of cartilage is removed, so the structural integrity should be fine after surgery
  • If you were assaulted, your nose could be broken, but it would still take a significant blow to do that

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Trauma to nose after septoplasty

+1

A surgeon should be careful to retain the integrity of a septum.  So after 6 weeks, your nose should be similar in strength to what it was.  If you box again or get hit in the nose, however, you may fracture your nose and septum again.  I would take this into consideration in the choices you make after surgery and be careful.  Best of luck!

Angela Sturm, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septoplasty and boxing

+1

It is very important to leave enough structural integrity to the septum of the  nose so that it does not collapse if traumatized.  Further boxing will only make the septum deviated again.

Trauma after septoplasty

+1

Dear Frencherer,

When doing a septoplasty the surgeon should maintain enough internal support to provide external integrity. In any type of situation where the nose is traumatized as in an assault or a boxing match there is always a chance of the nose being refractured. Some lifestyle modifications may be necessary if you have continued nasal trauma. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD