Difference Between Sinuplasty and Septoplasty?

I was wondering what the difference was (cost, recovery times, success rates, damage), the implications, and particularly if sinuplasty can be done on everyone or only in certain situations. Also, if there are minimally invasive procedures out there other than balloon sinuplasty. Thank you

Difference between balloon sinuplasty and septoplasty

+2

A septoplasty involves making the nasal septum straighter inside the nose. Balloon sinuplasty is a procedure used to dilate the openings of the sinuses. They treat very different things and in some cases are performed together at the same time during surgery.

Balloon sinuplasty isn't right for everyone. More traditional sinus surgery may be better depending on what type of sinus problem you have. Also, Balloon Sinuplasty can't be done on the ethmoid sinuses.

You can check out the balloon sinuplasty section of my nose surgery website (linked below) to learn more.

Septoplasty and sinuplasty have very different indications

+2

Septoplasty is surgery to address nasal obstruction due to septal deviation.  Sinuplasty is sinus surgery - wherein specialized balloons are used to dilate your sinus ostia (openings of your sinuses).  Patients with recurrent sinus infections may be candidates for sinuplasty.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Sinus surgery

+2

Balloon sinuplasty has not been around long enough to have any long term followup.  Consider medical management of your sinuses with decongestants, nasal sprays, allergy testing and environmental controls, as well as surgical management.  To document a sinus related problem, a CT of the sinuses must be performed first. 

Balloon Sinuplasty and Septoplasty surgery

+2

Jamesd: Balloon sinuplasty ans septoplasty are quite different procedures and done to address different problems, though in some cases the two may be done at the same time. Sinuplasty is used to open the sinuses and allow them to function better, resulting in less episodes of sinuisitis. Septoplasty is used to straighten the cartilage in the middle of the nose to allow better airflow and less obstruction.

Sinuplasty can often be done in the office under local anesthesia, whereas septoplasty requires general anesthesia in a hospital or surgery center. This can make sinuplasty less expensive for the patient since there are no facility or anesthesia fees. 

Recovery is longer for a septoplasty, which can give congestion and pain for up to two weeks. Balloon sinuplasty has a rapid recovery and most people return to normal activity in a couple of days. 

Both procedures are very successful if done properly. If someone had recurrent sinusitis AND blockage in their nose as a result of a deviated septum, then I would recommend both procedures. Remember, they both have different indications.

I hope this information helps

Best- Dr S 

Travis L. Shaw, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon