Can Top Front Teeth Be Moved Down? Orthognathic Surgery to Move Maxillary Jaw Forward and Down. (photo)

I had braces when I was 11-13 and noticed during my treatment things weren't feeling right. I'm not sure if it's the placement of the brackets on the front teeth, the head gear for an 'overbite' I apparently had, or a combination of the two forces, but my top front 4 or 6 teeth seem to have been pushed up into the maxillary bone (bone shrinkage due to the force applied?). When I bite down the fronts touch the bottoms the same way my molars do. Discomfort with bite/speech somewhat. Please help!!

Upper Front Teeth Can Be Moved Down

+1

Upper and lower front teeth may not touch even after orthodontics because of a tongue thrust habit. People with a tongue thrust habit may push their tongue forward against their upper and lower front teeth and spread the teeth apart. This creates an "anterior open bite". Your teeth should naturally touch together in all areas and the lower front teeth should touch the back of the upper front teeth and overlap vertically about 1/8 inch. 

If there is a space between the upper and lower teeth in an adult, and in some children, it is usually because of a tongue thrust. Many times the tongue thrust is due to difficulty breathing through the nose and a resulting need to move the tongue into an abnormal position so you can breathe through the mouth.  The upper front teeth can be moved down with orthodontic treatment or surgery, but if the abnormal tongue function is not eliminated, the space may open up again. See an orthodontist about bringing the upper front teeth down into a normal position. Talk to the orthodontist about tongue function correction.

Dallas Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon