Can I Do Veneers On Upper Teeth Without Doing Lower Teeth To Save Money?

I have fairly yellowed teeth, hate my smile. I am a business professional and need to get some luster back. I am considering veneers, but am trying to determine approx how many teeth. Cost is always a consideration. If I went with 6 for example on topside, would it look ridiculous to not Veneer any bottom teeth? Not too keen about paying for 10-12 teeth @ 1k per tooth. 6k is probably about about my budget.

Yes- you can do uppers only

+3

Typically we only do upper teeth when doing smile designs.   Many people intend to have "uppers and lowers" done but realize that it's cost prohibitive to so.   Typically you want to look at your "natural smile" one that you would exhibit in a picture, say at a party with friends.   In most cases, people don't display much of their lower teeth at all, so I tell them to put the emphasis on what is seen 1st.   You can always go back and address the lowers later with whitening or additional veneers, if you bite permits. 

Atlanta Cosmetic Dentist

You Can Have Upper Veneers W/O Doing The Lowers!

+1

With the fantastic options in cosmetic dentistry today there is no reason to have to settle for "hating your smile."  Porcelain veneers are a great option and in most cases can give you a great result without doing the lower teeth. The lower teeth can be whitened and will usually blend nicely with the upper veneers.  This will save you a significant amount of money.  The next question to answer is how many upper teeth should be veneered for a great result?  I am not a fan of doing only six teeth on the top.  These cases do not look natural and by adding one tooth on each side you will get a much better result.  I blogged about this recently and have attached it to my answer for you to read.  I call this the Matthew Perry effect.  Check out my blog for an explanation and picture of Mr. Chandler Bing sporting six unnatural looking veneers.  Hope this helps!

Scott Young, DDS
Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Yes you can!

+1

The cost is definitely something that holds people back from doing both upper & lower veneers.  I usually do only upper veneers & whiten the bottom teeth so it does not look mismatched on the shade.  Its a great way to change a smile without going over the budget. Obviously every case is different, it all depends on your over all oral health.

Javier Garcia, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Veneers upper and bleaching lower is a great start.

+1

Doing upper veneers is the standard for most cosmetic patients to achieve a great result. You dont want to have mis matched teeth tho so i would probably do lower teeth whitening and see if all the teeth match better.

Michael J. Thomas, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

+1

As long as your teeth are healthy and you are considering elective cosmetic treatment you can do whatever makes you happy with your smile.  From a cosmetic dentists view you will need an analysis of all the features of your smile and a good understanding of what will make it look its best.  The options for a smile makeover should include whitening, composite bonding, porcelain veneers and gingival contouring.  A good functional restorative cosmetic dentist should be able to present you with the best option for your situation.  I hope you get the smile of your dreams.  A business professional with a beautiful health smile is always a winner.  If you send me some photos I will give you my opinion.  drsalazar@missiontrailsdentistry.com

James D. Salazar, DDS
San Diego Cosmetic Dentist

Porcelain veneers, bonding and bleaching

+1

If veneers are indicated and you would like to stay within your budget, you can consider veneering the front six and placing some bonding on the the first bicuspids.  You can always change these to porcelain veneers later if need be.

May I suggest to not do only 6 veneers as there is really nothing more obvious than six white front teeth.

Discuss these options as well as KORS bleaching with your dentist.

Ronald Konig DDS
Houston Cosmetic Dentist

How many veneers is enough for a smikle make over

+1

Great question. I get this request all the time from patients who want to get a smile make over.

If  your concern is purely the color of your teeth,  then lowers can be whitened, and uppers can be veneered. This is if you do not have any bite issues .

Most people do not show their lower teeth when they talk or smile. However men usually show more lower teeth than ladies. So you can be the best judge of that. About your uppers, the rule of thumb is veneer all those teeth that show when you give a big smile. Usually 8 or 10 is my magic number.

If you only do 6, you'll have to whiten all your uppers and whatever shade after bleaching you'll end up with is your limitation as to what shade you can use on your veneers. If you just do 6 veneers and pick a very light shade, then the neighboring teeth to your veneered teeth will stick out  like a sore thumb! 

I hope I gave you enough information to make the best decision.

Soheyla Marzvaan, DDS
Orange County Cosmetic Dentist

Check The Costs of All Cosmetic Procedures

+1

How about seeing an experienced dentist and see if you can do some serious whitening?   There is a deep bleaching process called Kor Deep Bleaching and that can impact what you decide to do after you have completed the whitening.  We were actually able to do 4 veneers after whitening a patients smile with Kor. What about braces?  Can you do Invisalign? What other options do you have to improve your smile? Can you do the veneers in steps? Research research research to find the solution for your smile!!!

Wendy S. Spektor, DDS
Bellevue Cosmetic Dentist

Porcelain Veneers may not be the answer.

+1

Have you spoken with a reputable dentist or a dentist who is trying to sell you veneers?  No doubt porcelain veneers do look great but many factors affect how they will work for you.  Why are your teeth "yellowed" in the first place?  Have you tried whitening?  How is the basic shape of your teeth?  Which teeth do you show when you smile and I mean really smile?  The best course would be speak to a reputable dentist and have him/her evaluate your smile, teeth and occlusion.  Find out which treatment will leave you in the best shape, looking great, and have the best longevity.  That is the treatment for you.  Often a "wax up" can be done to show approximately what the final outcome would be. All treatment should be well explained and understood before commencing.  Treatment can be extensive and "pricey."  It only becomes really expensive when it has to be redone because the results are not what you expected. Most offices may have some sort of outside financing to help with the payments.  Explore before you buy.....

Jonathan Torma, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist

+1

To enhance your smile you can do porcelain veneers, whitening procedures, Invisalign (clear braces), and or a combination of these procedures. We always ask to our cosmetic patients to smile in front of a mirror and count how many upper teeth they see when they smile, Most people do not show the lower teeth, and only do their uppers, can you do 2, 4, 8 or 12+ veneers. Never stop at 6 because it will not look good aesthetically. You can go to our website to check all the cases we have done in our office to give you and idea, all the before and after photos have an explanation of the procedure done.Porcelain veneers are custom-made to fit perfectly over a patient’s original teeth, and the procedure can be completed in just two visits. You can do porcelain veneers to improve the appearance of one tooth, several teeth, or an entire row of front teeth for a complete smile makeover.Because the porcelain is translucent, much like a real tooth, porcelain veneers are extremely natural looking and blend in with surrounding teeth. In fact, they look so natural that many patients admit to forgetting they even have them, and simply notice a straight, beautiful, and natural smile! 

Pamela Marzban, DDS
Fairfax Cosmetic Dentist