Can I Do Veneers On Upper Teeth Without Doing Lower Teeth To Save Money?

I have fairly yellowed teeth, hate my smile. I am a business professional and need to get some luster back. I am considering veneers, but am trying to determine approx how many teeth. Cost is always a consideration. If I went with 6 for example on topside, would it look ridiculous to not Veneer any bottom teeth? Not too keen about paying for 10-12 teeth @ 1k per tooth. 6k is probably about about my budget.

Yes- you can do uppers only

Typically we only do upper teeth when doing smile designs.   Many people intend to have "uppers and lowers" done but realize that it's cost prohibitive to so.   Typically you want to look at your "natural smile" one that you would exhibit in a picture, say at a party with friends.   In most cases, people don't display much of their lower teeth at all, so I tell them to put the emphasis on what is seen 1st.   You can always go back and address the lowers later with whitening or additional veneers, if you bite permits. 

Atlanta Cosmetic Dentist

Upper veneers alone will work.

How many veneers you select depends a lot on how white you want them.  Generally lower teeth don't show except during talking.  A good option would be to whiten your teeth to see how much whiter your bottom teeth will get and then decide on a shade for the uppers.  I typically recommend 8 to 10 veneers on top especially if the smile is broad and we're going considerably whiter. 

Michael Firouzian, DDS
Columbus Cosmetic Dentist

How many veneers do I need

I never only do six veneers on the upper jaw the choices are, 2,4,8.or 10. If you do six and end them on the upper canine it will look just like you placed six veneers on the upper teeth! We want them to blend in so in looks natural. I would try to bleach the teeth first and then evaluate how wide your smile is. Remember people look at you from the side and see your profile. If you have to do the lowers then you can get away with six on the lower jaw. It is well worth the investment to do it properly.

Zola A Makrauer, DMD
Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

You Can Have Upper Veneers W/O Doing The Lowers!

With the fantastic options in cosmetic dentistry today there is no reason to have to settle for "hating your smile."  Porcelain veneers are a great option and in most cases can give you a great result without doing the lower teeth. The lower teeth can be whitened and will usually blend nicely with the upper veneers.  This will save you a significant amount of money.  The next question to answer is how many upper teeth should be veneered for a great result?  I am not a fan of doing only six teeth on the top.  These cases do not look natural and by adding one tooth on each side you will get a much better result.  I blogged about this recently and have attached it to my answer for you to read.  I call this the Matthew Perry effect.  Check out my blog for an explanation and picture of Mr. Chandler Bing sporting six unnatural looking veneers.  Hope this helps!

Scott Young, DDS
Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Yes you can!

The cost is definitely something that holds people back from doing both upper & lower veneers.  I usually do only upper veneers & whiten the bottom teeth so it does not look mismatched on the shade.  Its a great way to change a smile without going over the budget. Obviously every case is different, it all depends on your over all oral health.

Javier Garcia, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Veneers upper and bleaching lower is a great start.

Doing upper veneers is the standard for most cosmetic patients to achieve a great result. You dont want to have mis matched teeth tho so i would probably do lower teeth whitening and see if all the teeth match better.

Michael J. Thomas, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

As long as your teeth are healthy and you are considering elective cosmetic treatment you can do whatever makes you happy with your smile.  From a cosmetic dentists view you will need an analysis of all the features of your smile and a good understanding of what will make it look its best.  The options for a smile makeover should include whitening, composite bonding, porcelain veneers and gingival contouring.  A good functional restorative cosmetic dentist should be able to present you with the best option for your situation.  I hope you get the smile of your dreams.  A business professional with a beautiful health smile is always a winner.  If you send me some photos I will give you my opinion.  drsalazar@missiontrailsdentistry.com

James D. Salazar, DDS
Encinitas Cosmetic Dentist

Porcelain veneers, bonding and bleaching

If veneers are indicated and you would like to stay within your budget, you can consider veneering the front six and placing some bonding on the the first bicuspids.  You can always change these to porcelain veneers later if need be.

May I suggest to not do only 6 veneers as there is really nothing more obvious than six white front teeth.

Discuss these options as well as KORS bleaching with your dentist.

Ronald Konig DDS
Houston Cosmetic Dentist

How many veneers is enough for a smikle make over

Great question. I get this request all the time from patients who want to get a smile make over.

If  your concern is purely the color of your teeth,  then lowers can be whitened, and uppers can be veneered. This is if you do not have any bite issues .

Most people do not show their lower teeth when they talk or smile. However men usually show more lower teeth than ladies. So you can be the best judge of that. About your uppers, the rule of thumb is veneer all those teeth that show when you give a big smile. Usually 8 or 10 is my magic number.

If you only do 6, you'll have to whiten all your uppers and whatever shade after bleaching you'll end up with is your limitation as to what shade you can use on your veneers. If you just do 6 veneers and pick a very light shade, then the neighboring teeth to your veneered teeth will stick out  like a sore thumb! 

I hope I gave you enough information to make the best decision.

Soheyla Marzvaan, DDS
Orange County Cosmetic Dentist

Check The Costs of All Cosmetic Procedures

How about seeing an experienced dentist and see if you can do some serious whitening?   There is a deep bleaching process called Kor Deep Bleaching and that can impact what you decide to do after you have completed the whitening.  We were actually able to do 4 veneers after whitening a patients smile with Kor. What about braces?  Can you do Invisalign? What other options do you have to improve your smile? Can you do the veneers in steps? Research research research to find the solution for your smile!!!