This Will Be my 3rd Time Getting Veneers Done, is That Bad?

Porcelain Veneers and Changing them

If you can explain why you have had them done for a third time, we might be able to give you a better answer.

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Ron Konig DDS

Houston Dentist

2201 West Holcombe
Houston, TX 77030

How long to veneers last?

I have patients that have veneers that have been in place for nearly 15 years and look no different than the day I put them in.  If veneers are done according to ideal parameters they can last a lifetime.  Several factors can compromise veneeers.  If the bite of the patient and alignment of the teeth is off, then they may not last as long.  People who grind their teeth and have lsee optimal bites can compromise the longevity of the veneers.  If the technique of the dentist putting them in is not what it should be, then this can be a huge factor in the equation.  Preparations of the tetth should be deep enough that they are estetic and allow for the physical optical properties of proerly layered porcelain.  If the preparations are too deep and the veneers are bonded to dentin rather than enamel that can be a problem.  Dentin bonding doesn't work ovet the long-term.  Ask a lot of questions and see a lot of before and afters before choosing a dentist to complete your veneers.

Lawrence Singer, DMD
Washington Dentist

809 Cameron Street
Alexandria, VA 22314

Frequent veneer replacement may be a sign

If you are doing them for the third time in 3 years, then yes, I would say something is not right.  If this is the third time in 40 years, then that isn't TOO unusual, but I have seen many cases last 25 to 30 years.

It depends on "why".  If you are just dissatisfied with the look or color, then it isn't a failure of the material.  However, each time a tooth is worked on, heat is generated and can cause harm to the tooth or teeth.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Dentist

7100 Fort Dent Way
Tukwila, WA 98188

3rd Time with Veneers

The important question to answer is how long in between have you gone before they have needed to be replaced.  Well done veneers that are well maintained can last 10 years or more.  If they are being replaced more frequently for reasons other than aesthetics, you may want to have an experienced cosmetic dentist evaluate the reasons they are failing.

Daniel Beninato, DDS
Omaha Dentist

18009 Oak St
Omaha, NE 68130

Third Time For Renewing Veneers

The answer to your question depends on many years how many years did you get out of each set of veneers.  If you are having them replaced every five years then I would be concerned.  If you are getting 1-15 years out of each set then I would not be worried.  The newer porcelains and bonding techniques allow for a set of veneers to last much longer than even 7-10 years ago.  Make sure that if you are having them redone soon that you have your doctor use a material called EMax.  This is the strongest, most aesthetic porcelain on the market.  Hope this helps. 

Scott Young, DDS
Houston Dentist

6769 Lake Woodlands Drive
The Woodlands, TX 77382

3rd time getting veneers

The anser is dependent on how long a time frame you are talking about and exactly why they are being replaced.  Are they cracking, denbonding, or caviites.   Three times in 10 years is a problem, three times in 30, not as worried.  If it is the 3rd time in 10 years than I think whoever has been making them for you is not addressing the exact problem.  There could be problems with the bite, the type of cements he is using or your oral hygiene may need improvement.  Before you make a new set I would talk to your dentist to see what he thinks the problem is

Leonard Tau, DMD
Philadelphia Dentist

11905 Bustleton Ave.
Philadelphia, PA 19116

Redoing Veneers for the Third Time!

It is bad if this is the third time in 10 to 15 year time frame.  If you are talking about the third time in a period of 20-30 years that is different.  Nothing lasts forever.  If you fall into the first category of 10 to 15 years, I would seriously suggest you seek out a specialist in full mouth reconstruction such as a prosthodontist. A prosthodontist takes three more years of training after graduating from dental school in specializing in esthetic restoration of teeth. If yours have failed twice, let a prosthodontist, who has training in TMJ and bite problems, examine your bite. Stress and a bad bite can put trememdous pressure  on the veneers causing them to break or crack. Decay can also present a problem with  veneers. I would find out the cause for the veneer failure so it does not happen the third time.  See more than one professional and take notes on what they say.  There should be one that can find and fix the underliying problem. Do your homework so this does not happen again!  I am very sorry for their failure.

George Koutsoukos, DDS
Valencia Dentist

24155 Magic Mountain Pkwy
Valencia, CA 91355

What are Risks When Redoing Veneers?

There are many people who have redone veneers through the years.  When you decide to redo your veneers make sure you communicate your needs- color, space closure, reshaping, all your revisions should be discussed.  Removing old veneers and preparing for new ones can be gentle but you do need to remove everything so some of your preparation must reflect what previous dentists have done.  Make sure you voice your needs and are very clear with your expectations.  Obviously the less times you redo veneers, the better, but it can be done with much success.   

Wendy S. Spektor, DDS
Bellevue Dentist

1545 116th Avenue NE
Bellevue, WA 98004

How long should veneers last

three sets in a 10-15 year span is bad. look into going to a reconstructive dentist, one withtraining in full mouth reconstruction. They have training ad certificates for cosmetic dentistry as well as  and TMJ treatment and bite  isssues.

Soheyla Marzvaan, DDS
Orange County Dentist

600 Corporate Drive
Ladera Ranch, CA 92694-2110

Porcelain Veneers last a long time

I have seen Porcelain Veneers last for as much as thirty years. If your Veneers have lasted ten years I would consider this a good result. If the time frame is shorter then there is an underlying reason why they are failing. Many times veneers can fail because of fracture. This is most common when the bite is not correct. You should discuss this with your dentist.

Zola A Makrauer, DMD
Philadelphia Dentist

1800 Byberry Road
Huntingdon Valley, PA 19006-3520