Is Replacing Dental Veneers Expensive?

I'm considering dental veneers for my four or six front upper teeth. They are small, narrow, and have gaps between them. It's like I'm not even smiling when I smile. I want a wider smile. However I heard that when veneers need to be replaced, you have to get the whole thing done over again, and that's expensive! What if, 20 years later, I don't have the money to replace the veneers? What would happen? That's scary, but every doctor is dead-set against bonding (sigh), so what can I expect?

Get Another Consult for your Smile

+1

I suggest that you go to another cosmetic dentist and see if they will start with bonding plastic instead of bonding veneers.  Eventually you may have veneers done but maybe its down the road.  Bonding can look great and is a great option to begin-especially because the cost is less.  Have the dentist do a diagnostic wax up where you can see how it will look.  You will need to eventually replace your dentistry because nothing lasts forever but bonding is less costly and a great place to start. Replacement can then be veneers next!  Both bonding and veneers have been shown to last for a long time depending on how you care for them. Bonding has become one of the most successful procedeures dentistry has to offer.  Just do your research first.

Bellevue Cosmetic Dentist

Cost of Replacing Veneers

+1

It sounds as though you are a great candidate for porcelain veneers.  Porcelain veneers are a great investment that will truly give you more confidence when you smile.  You need to be aware that in 20 years there is a good chance that they will need to be replaced.  The cost will probably be more at that time to replace them then it is now.  If this concerns you perhaps braces would be a better option for you.  Keep in mind that braces will straighten your teeth, but will not give you longer or wider teeth.  Good luck.

Scott Young, DDS
Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Replacing Dental Veneers is Expensive!

+1

The answer to your question is yes, replacement of dental veneers is expensive. My advice to you is live in the present and do not worry about the cost and replacement of something 20 years down the road. Give yourself something you want now, and that is a beautiful smile that veneers can give you and enjoy them.  it is important  you take good care of your teeth and have good oral hygiene, healthy gums. But the MOST important factor in their longevity, is that you have no bruxism, grinding and clenching issues with your jaw.  This puts extra stress on your veneers causing them to break or wear down just like normal teeth.  Make sure you find a good cosmetic dentist and that you discuss all of these issues with him before you do this procedure. Remember after 20 years, hips wear out, cars wear out and appliances wear out...so do veneers!  Enjoy the 20 years you have a beautiful smile because you did this procedure!

George Koutsoukos, DDS
Valencia Cosmetic Dentist

Veneer Replacement Costs

+1

It is impossible to place a price on having a great smile that you are confident in sharing with all of those around you. The personal and business benefits can be enormous.  Most great cosmetic dentists will give you some sort of a guarentee to be sure you are cost free for the initial years.  If one would eventually fail, that does not mean you have to replace all of them again.  People pay 100k for a car knowing full well it is not going to last forever.  It all comes down to your own value judgement of the benefits to you.

Donald L. Wilcox, DDS
Phoenix Cosmetic Dentist

Replacing veneers

+1

As some of the other dentists have stated nothing last forever and that certainly includes veneers. Cars, shoes, all need replacing so do not let that factor into your decision. If taken care of veneers can last a very long time.  When they need to be replaced most of the same steps are taken. 

Leonard Tau, DMD
Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

Replacing Dental Veneers and Cost

+1

Longevity of a cosmetic dental restoration must be a factor when considering treatment and this is a discussion that should take place with your personal cosmetic dentist in the consultation/exam phase. There are many factors which affect the success and longevity such as home care, oral hygiene, excess stresses on the veneers from malocclusions, grinding and clenching of the teeth, and neuromuscular position of the teeth and their occlusion. An experienced cosmetic dentist with proper training can and should discuss these matters and their relationship to your treatment with you, but the bottom line is that regardless of the type of restoration that you choose, bonding or veneers, replacement at some time in the future may most likely be necessary and therefore taken into account in your decision for treatment. Veneers have been proven to be a very worthwhile investment. Best of health and success to you!

Scott LeSueur, DDS
Mesa Cosmetic Dentist

Replacing Veneers

+1

Nothing in life lasts forever!  Not even dental veneers.  Potential replacement after 20 years, as you suggest, is not a reason to avoid having them done now.  You may invest in a car, drive it for 20 years and then decide it is time to replace it.  Your new car will be another investment, but not necessarily a reason to forego a car today.

High quality veneers prepared and placed by a skilled dental professional will last a long time.  The aesthetic results and positive effects on self confidence are well worth the investment for most patients.

Marc Zive, DMD
Springfield Cosmetic Dentist

When do veneers need replacement ?

+1

Nothing is permanent. Even mother natgure gave us teeth that ware down by time. So how can we compete and be better than nature. veneers , just like any other thing in life have a lifespan. They need to be replaced. If you find a  great cosmetic dentist, they last longer . Ifyou take carfe of them properly, they last longer. If you donot grind, clinch or do something about it if you do, they last longer. 

All my  patients say it is worth it, they should have done it sooner.If you want to do it, do it sooner and enjoy your life. No one knows what happens tomorrow. Do your homework, find a qualified dentist, keep them clean and maintain them, and they last many many years. who knows what new option show up in scienctific field 20 years from now.

Soheyla Marzvaan, DDS
Orange County Cosmetic Dentist

Is replacing porcelain veneers expensive?

+1

It can be because patients who are on there second and third set are usually more demanding and expect a higher level outcome.  They understand the process and can expect more from the final result.  Many dentists will build that into their fee.  Also there is more wear and tear on our equipment as removing someone elses dentistry can be difficult on the drills and equipment.  The work underneath can be not ideal and will need special care and that is why the fee is higher.  Good  luck.

David S. Frey, DDS
Beverly Hills Cosmetic Dentist

Replacing veneers is an investment

+1

Nothing lasts forever, no matter what it is.  Cars will eventually wear out and need replacement, tires get bald, running shoes hurt more than they help, and so on.  The same thing with dental work, none of it will last a lifetime.  When veneers wear out, they need replacing, just like cars, shoes or tires need replacing.

While the investment may be large, my patients all have said that it has been worth it and they wished they had done it sooner!  It makes it THAT much more important to choose a cosmetic dentist carefully, as not all are as qualified as others.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist