How Old is Too Old for Breast Implants?

I am 57 yrs old, good health, physically fit. I work out and walk. I have always had small breasts. Am I too old?

How old is too old for breast implants?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! Age alone is not a contraindication to a surgical procedure. There are a few medical comorbidities that contribute to a higher risk during any surgical procedure including infections, wound complications, delayed wound healing, bleeding, anesthetic risks, etc. Factors such as diabetes, hypertension, coronary artery disease, heart problems, lung problems, etc are more common in the elderly. However, if you are healthy, or these conditions are well-controlled, you would certainly still be a candidate for a surgical procedure. If your complaints or desires are great enough to consider the surgical option, I would seek a consultation with a plastic surgeon to discuss your complaints and go over the options as well as risks and benefits of the procedure.

You should obtain medical clearance from your primary care physician that you are at an acceptable risk for undergoing a surgical procedure. For elective or aesthetic procedures, your surgeon may want to get you to a reasonable health status prior to consideration for a procedure. Discuss all of your medical comorbidities and medication with your surgeon prior and discuss these risks. Also, discuss this with your anesthesiologist as proper monitoring and medications will be watched closely. This procedure should still be very safe for you and hope for an uncomplicated course with an excellent result! Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

How Old is Too Old for Breast Implants?

+1
Age does not exclude you from being a good candidate for breast augmentation.  I would advise you to seek consultation with  board certified plastic surgeons to discuss your options. Usually, prior to surgery, a mammogram, EKG, and medical clearance is required to proceed with surgery. Take care and good luck!

No age limit for implants

+1

You are definately not too old for implants.  As long as you are healthy, you can safely have the surgery. 

Breast Implants are NOT only for young women

+1

A significant part of my practice is breast surgery – breast augmentation, breast reduction, breast lift and breast reconstruction. I have noticed over the past few years that there are more and more women in the 35 to 55 year old group who want to improve the appearance of their breasts. They usually want to return their breasts to the size and shape they had in the years BC (before children). However, when I discussed this topic with my wife and other women, they all said “do older women really get breast implants?”

Well, maybe it’s not talked about like it is among the 20 to 30 year olds, but it’s just as common. Statistics for 2008 from the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery reveal that 49% of women undergoing breast augmentation are over 35 and nearly 10% are over 50. Even more amazing is that 75% of breast lifts and 59% of breast reductions are performed on women over 35. So it’s not just my practice, but this is a nation wide trend.

So, if you are considering this surgery (and not telling your friends), what do you need to know?

1. Breast surgery is about art and skill and experience.
2. The result is highly dependent on the skill of the surgeon, and is NOT the same from doctor to doctor.
3. There is not one "best choice" of implants, incisions, or implant placement.
4. Each patient is unique and women have different desires and therefore you require an individual analysis and plan.
5. Everything in life has trade-offs and it is my job to educate you as to what these may be for you.
6. Remember that the time spent with your surgeon before the surgery correlates with your result.
7. You need a qualified plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who has the knowledge, judgment, and experience to obtain the best possible result for your individual body type and life style.

While a standard augmentation may be all that is necessary, many women need adjustments in shape as well as size. Some require lifting (mini, moderate, or full). This may include elevation of the nipple and areola, with an incision around the areola and sometimes a vertical incision as well, depending on the degree of ptosis (sagging). The nipple is not removed and replaced, which is a common misconception. Sensation should be maintained. Women who have had more than one child, or those who breast feed are more likely to need a breast lift. Another common procedure is reduction of the areola size, especially when augmenting the breast size.

Paul J. Loverme, MD
Verona Plastic Surgeon

Not too old for breast implants

+1

The answer is heck no, you are not too old. As with most cosmetic procedure, the health of the patient is the most important thing to consider (among many things to consider). Since you are healthy, and providing you have reasonable expectations, there is no reason that you shouldn't consider implants. I know an excellent surgeon Dr. James Smith, I believe near the airport, who should do well by you.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Breast implants at over 50

+1

There is no reason specifially based on age to limit having breast implants. I think that if you are in good health and desire a fuller look, there is nothing wrong with that and you certainly can have surgery.

Breast implants for all ages

+1

This is a wonderful myth-buster, yes, breast implants have a role in all ages. Early in my practice I learned that breast augmentation and breast implants were not just of interest in the 20 somethings, and in fact the majority of patients seeking breast implants were women that were in their 30-40's and had one or more children. As we have changed the concept of looking well and growing older I now have many patients in their 50's who undergo breast augmentation for the first time.

I have one more myth concerning breast implants that I can put to rest. Women who have worn breast implants will continue to do so their entire life. As women age they do not remove their breast implants later in life. They do not 'out grow' them. I have had patients into their 80's who have come in with a worn out implant, saline and gel, and yes, all have the implants replaced, not removed. Why do women in their 80's continue to have breast implants? Because they contribute to their lives in positive ways.

You are definitely not too old.

Best of luck.

Am I too Old for Breast Augmentation?

+1

Hi there-

Your overall state of health is much more important than the number of years since you were born. If you are healthy and feel augmentation of your breasts would make you happier with your appearance, there should be no reason to prevent you from proceeding.

Please read the following advice on finding a surgeon and experience you will be happy with long term:

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Age and breast implants

+1

Advancing age is not a contraindication to breast augmentation.  Provided your health is good, there is no reason not to proceed with breast augmentation.

Your best bet it to visit with a board certified plastic surgeon.  Best of luck.

Sam Jejurikar, MD

Age limit for implant surgery depends on health

+1

I don't known if it is a trend or not, but we are seeing more women in their 60's for breast implants. They all have their own reasons, and they are uniformly happy with their decision after the surgery. Implant surgery is the same as any other cosmetic procedure; it is health, not chronological age that is the key.

Richard Baxter, MD