Will a High Profile Silicone Breast Implant 200 Cc Look Natural

I'm 5"10" and only 127lbs I've always been a small a cup. little skin up top and my ribcage is very small so I was offered a 200cc in 2 choices a moderate and a high profile implant. The moderate didn't look like much and the profile looked nice under the tank top but I'm really looking for a natural look since I'am 41 years old. Can the high profile look natural on someone as thin and small as me? I can always use a pushup bra in the future.Also any other suggestions of any other implants to consider?

Which breast implant will look most natural?

+2

Hi there-

One of the things I find most interesting is the amount of misinformation the average patient must sift through when researching breast augmentation surgery. In particular, I think that many patients become overwhelmed with implant choices and the abundance of information about these options available on the Web.

This is complicated once they contact a surgeon or two for information about the implants, and which is most likely to give them the result they desire. Somewhere along the way, opinions expressed by a surgeon are perceived as fact by a prospective patient (because of the surgeon's reputation or the apparent strength of his/her opinion), who then becomes more confused when she hears a differing opinion.

This leads to ridiculously technical questions being posted on sites like RealSelf and others, such as:

"I am 5'5", 125 lbs, my measurements are 34, 22, 36. I have had 3 babies, all by C-section, and I breast fed two of them. My breasts sag a little, but not as much as some women I have seen. I want to have a full C-cup breast. Should I get 325 cc Allergan 410 style implants, or Mentor 350 cc Moderate profile implants. Projection is more important to me than a natural shape..."

Every time I get one of these over-thought questions, I always think the same thing... ???????

Let's take a big step back from the trees here and take a look at the forrest in front of us, shall we?

Fundamentally, the reason any woman seeks breast augmentation is because she wants to achieve a certain appearance, right? Let's repeat that- to achieve a certain appearance. NOT a certain bra size, or a certain implant volume, or even a certain implant type. When you first stared to think you might want an augmentation, you didn't think, "I would like it if I could have 350cc implants"... You probably thought, "I would love to look like that (after admiring another woman's breasts)..."

So if we can agree that what you are really after is an appearance you would be happier with (as I always tell my patients), let's make the desired appearance the focus of our communications...Let us both ignore bra sizes (which are not standardized and the choice of which is very arbitrary) and implant types/sizes (for now)... Let's first understand what you want to look like. I think you would agree that if we are able to make you look the way you wanted to look, the letter on your bra and the number on your implant is lees important, right? Help me understand what you want to look like, and I can give you a very accurate recommendation of options for achieving that appearance -- provided a careful physical examination has also occurred.

Why is the exam so critical? After all, can't we just put small implants in women who want small breasts and larger implants into those who want larger ones?

The exam is critical, because for any one particular woman, there are only a few good choices of implants available, regardless of her goals, and these options are arrived at by taking careful stock of her breast tissue, skin, and frame. In other words, your anatomy will, to a large extent, help us understand the implant options that would make you look the best. This is the "One Right Result" concept. The taking of these measurements is so important, I do it myself every time, and based on these measurements and my patient's goals, then make recommendations regarding the implant options available to her (as these options would be different for different women).

While (as with any aesthetic procedure) no guarantee of outcome can be given, you are much more likely to achieve your desired outcome if you focus on communicating your desired appearance successfully with a skilled and experienced, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon than by over-researching the implants and micro-managing the details of the surgery. In fact, I can think of no better way for you to increase the odds of you ending up dissatisfied.

So don't over-think it. Think carefully about the appearance you want, communicate it carefully to your surgeon (using photos if possible), and make sure that the implant choice arrived at by the two of you together is based on both your anatomy and your goal. You'll be happier and the process will be less stressful!

Breast implant sizing

+1

The more breast surgery I do the more I realize that there is no correlation between the size or model (profile) of implant used and resulting cup size.  This may have to do with several factors including: the amount of breast volume the patient starts with, the shape of the patient's chest wall (concave or convex), the type and model of breast implant selected (saline/silicone  and low/moderate/high profile), bra  manufacturer variance  in cup sizes, the  degree  of filling of the cup  with breast tissue,  and the subjective differences in patients perceptions of cup size. 
Much of the final “look” achieved after breast augmentation surgery  depends on several factors:

1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the  preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal.

2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing  long-term  well-placed breast implants. I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone)  or model (low/moderate/high profile)  of implant.

3. The type of implant used may  determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. Each patient differs in the amount of breast tissue that they have.  If a patient has enough breast tissue to cover the implant, the final result will be similar when comparing saline implants versus silicone gel implants.  If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.
On the other hand, saline implants have some advantages over silicone implants. Silicone implant ruptures are harder to detect. When saline implants rupture, they deflate and the results are seen almost immediately. When silicone implants rupture, the breast often looks and feels the same because the silicone gel may leak into surrounding areas of the breast without a visible difference.  Patients may need an MRI to diagnose a silicone gel rupture.   Saline implants are also less expensive than the silicone gel implants.
Other differences involve how the breast implants are filled. Saline implants are filled after they’re implanted, so saline implants require a smaller incision than prefilled silicone breast implants.
On May 10, 2000, the FDA granted approval of saline-filled breast implants manufactured by Mentor Corporation and McGhan Medical. To date, all other manufacturers’ saline-filled breast implants are considered investigational.
As of 2006, the FDA has approved the use of silicone gel implants manufactured by the Mentor Corporation and Allergan (formerly McGhan) for breast augmentation surgery for patients over the age of 22.

4. The size and model of breast implant used may  make a  significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

+1

In this instacne your BWD is a critical measurement as well as the amount of soft tissue coverage your breast offers. I would make this decision after using sizers but it could be a reasonable option.

Implant choices

+1

It is hard to say whether or not the volume you selected would be best to reach the desired size and be natural. Certainly the smaller you go in a size appropriate for you,  provided you have enough native breast tissue, the more natural they will appear. You can do a baggy test or try sizers on to see how the volume fits in a bra for you.

What style of breast implant to choose

+1

Without an examination, it is difficult to answer your question. Based on your height and weight and your descriptions, it appears you have very thin skin. I am glad you are going with a smaller size implant.

For the result to look natural, in my opinion, the implant has to fill the entire dimension of your breast (the implant has to fill the entire natural width and height of your chest). A high profile implant has the same volume as the moderate profile, but with a narrower base. Therefore, the volume has nowhere to go but up (more projection). If the base in too narrow for your chest and implant too projected, especially with your thin skin, the result may look less natural.

You may also consider silicone implant, as it will look and feel more natural in patients with thinner skin.

Good luck!

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

High profile implants not typically the most natural-looking

+1

Your question is a common one, but the first thing to recognize is that what you mean by "natural" may not be the same as what your plastic surgeon is picturing. I am thinking about a study from a few years ago in which patients and plastic surgeons were shown tracings of breasts in profile and asked to rate them on natural appearance.

The patients typically chose a higher profile-type look. In my view, like most of the plastic surgeons in the study, high profile on a thin woman will be harder to pull off. Bottom line is choose the size you want based on volume, then select the implant with the right base diameter for your own measurements.

Richard Baxter, MD

Breast implant sizing depends on skin laxity

+1

Hi, it's tough to answer this without an examination of your breast tissues. A natural look is possible with both types of implants, but it depends upon how much skin laxity you have. The goal is to fill the breast, but not overfill it which leads to that unnatural look. You should discuss your goals with your surgeon, and hopefully he or she can guide you as to which is a better choice for you. Good luck, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Better results with High Profile Gel vs Moderate Profile Plus Saline

+1

High Profile Silicone implants do NOT look the same as HP Saline implants but in the Mentor line, are close to Moderate Profile Plus (Style 2000) Saline implants.

HP Saline implants have a narrower base and are higher (more projecting) than either their HP Silicone and Moderate Profile (Natrelle / Allergan) and Moderate Profile Plus (Mentor) which could give them an exaggerated "Torpedo Look" in some women.

SILICONE - The advantage of Silicone filled implants over saline filled, is that they ripple less (and as such can be placed in women without a lot of breast tissue cover for implants), are lighter (than saline) and really FEEL more natural.

I would recommend you select a compromise of the lightest implant your breast tissue can cover whose base will allow it to remain on the flat portion of your chest without drifting and falling sideways.

Based on these considerations, your best result could come with either an appropriately picked Mentor Moderate Profile Saline or a High Profile Mentor Gel implant.

To understand all you need to know about Breast Augmentation and breast Implants, follow the comprehensive link below -

Dr. P. Aldea

High profile vs moderate profile breast implants

+1

A 200 cc moderate and high profile implant will have different base dimensions with the high profile being narrower. The upper pole will be fuller in the HP also so you run the risk of looking like having 2 tennis balls with a mile in between.

If you want a "natural look" and are willing to use a push up bra, the moderate would probably be better. Maybe look at the moderate plus which is in between the other two?

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Breast implant sizers inserted during surgery show which is best implant for you.

+1

Hi.

This is such a common issue, that I wrote an article about picking breast implants for RealSelf.  You can look at it on my profile.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)