TMJ Caused by Braces

i went for 2nd orthodontic treatment at age 20 to correct my malaligned anterior teeth caused due to previous braces.now there is about 5 mm gap between my anterior teeth( over bite) and i have started having tmj pains. should i continue with the treatment until my teeth is aligned as in won't it harm my joint further or should i remove the braces.is it true that pushing back the teeth can cause tmj. should i go 4 splint therapy now. can a splint be applied over orthodontic braces?

Braces and TMJ problems

+2

Just read the posts by several doctors and you'll get the idea that you've touched on a hot topic.  Scientific research has shown that most TMJ problems are multifactorial, meaning that a number of things contribute to the problem.  The reason that carefully controlled studies with careful methodologies are needed in medicine and dentisty is to dispell the type of thinking that is represented in some of the responses to this often complex topic, especially ones based on" anecdotal" evidence.  Bad orthodontics can contribute to TMJ problems just like bad dentisty can contribute to tooth problems that require root canals.  A well trained orthodontist will be able to ascertain where the jaw is comfortable and healthy and will put the teeth in a bite that is in harmony with this position.  Instead of trying to decide on your own if you need splint therapy, ask your doctor about how he/she plans to deal with your bite and your TMJ issues.

Seattle Orthodontist

TMJ Dysfunction can result from improper use of braces.

+2

Your question about braces causing TMJ Dysfunction is a  hotly debated one:  The answer is yes, braces can cause TMJ Dysfunction if the practitioner  is ignorant about the relationship of teeth to the TMJ.  Sadly, most orthodontic programs teaching specialists have a void in their programs when it comes to the understanding of the TMJ's.  Although it is not possible to diagnose exactly what your problem is and what the solution is, the following would be true: Any treatment that causes the lower jaw to retrude can precipitate TMJ Dysfunction.  Therefore treatment should protect against this movement and encourage the jaw to be held in a forward position.  Repositioning splints, orthotics (mouth ones), bite plates, bite ramps can help this forward position and can all be used with braces, however the most important thing for you is to work with a competent dentist/orthodontist., i.e. one who has a great deal of experience with braces and  treating TMJ Dysfunctions.  Then he/she would create an appropriate plan, and explain it to you so it makes sense.  Unfortunately this is a very common problem.  Good luck to you.

Denver Orthodontist

Treat the TMJ First

+2

I treat a lot of TMJ patients and 80% have had prior orthodontics.  Hmmm. Coincidence?  I think not.  In the past orthodontists have treated to a nice smile and a bite based on the molars lining up.  Maybe the body developed and placed the relationship between teeth, muscles, and joints in a manner to make them all work together, but this relationship didn't "look" good.  I always treat patients who have TMJ issues and want ortho with caution.  I would find a comfortable neuromuscular position for your lower jaw and make a splint or orthosis at that position. Getting you comfortable first is the first priority, then move the teeth to that position.

Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Does Braces Cause TMJ?

+2

I would not recommend removing the braces just yet but I would suggest that you consult with a competent dentist/orthodontist who understands the relationship between tooth movements and TMJ health.  If your treating doctor says there is no relationship between orthodontics and TMJ health you must find a different doctor.  "Pushing the teeth back" can indeed cause TMJ problems.  Not knowing your exact situation would make it difficult to prescribe treatment but the prescribed treatment may in fact include splint therapy which may or may not be doable with your braces left in place.

Good luck!

Tustin Cosmetic Dentist

TMJ and braces

+1

Reading over the other reviews I see that there are many dentists who still believe that there is a strong correlation between braces and TMJ problems.  Problem is, all of the most recent scientific studies do not show this to be true.  What they usually fall back on is: I see a lot of people who had braces and now have TMJ problems so it must be true!...well there are just as many who never had braces and still have TMJ problems.

Anyway....this is a very controversial issue so get a few opinions before you give up on the ortho!

Saint Louis Orthodontist