Tissue Fillers for the Forehead and Bridge of Nose?

Can Restylane or Juviderm be injected in areas like the bridge of the nose and forehead lines?

These areas do not have much fat or tissue underneath. I have a line across the bridge of my nose and I want to get ride of it. Dot Co2 treatments have not been able to erase it. I have had success with Restylane in lifing the tired sagging lines underneath my eyes but my practitioner said she did not feel comfortable injecting in problem areas like the forehead and bridge of the nose.

Can this be done?

Combination of Botox and dermal fillers for deeper forehead and nasal bridge lines

+2

Thanks for the interesting question. I often have patients who ask me the very same thing during their skin consultations. The approach which I have found most helpful is to use Botox or Dysport for these deep horizontal forehead lines, vertical lines between the eyebrows, and nasal bridge lines ("bunny lines") first and then see the patient back in 1-2 weeks. At this point if there is a bit of a residual wrinkle, a small amount of a filler such as Restylane or Juvederm can be placed to fill it. Because these lines are related to muscle activity constantly folding the overlying skin, the best approach is to start with a neuromodulator such as Botox or Dysport to relax the muscles. The vast majority of the time, this single treatment is sufficient. 

Dr. Mehta

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers or Botox for wrinkles over nose and forehead

+2

You certainly can inject Restylane or Juviderm into the lines across your nose and forehead. These particular lines are caused by the underlying muscles creasing (breaking) the skin collagen. Injecting the lines will stiffen the skin, but the Restylane and Juviderm will be quickly broken down by the muscles - and the lines will quickly reappear. Botox is a better first choice, however, as it will relax the muscles and prevent the creasing of the collagen. In time, the collagen will be replaced and the lines will smooth out. If the lines are especially deep, you could use Restylane or Juviderm after Botox to quickly smooth them out.

Randy J. Buckspan, MD

Both fillers can achieve good results

+2

Absolutely. They can achieve very good results. Botox is a helpful area for the bridge of the nose in addition to the filler. Sometimes the line is so fine that human collagen injections could give a finer result than the Juvederm or Restylane.

Ronald Shelton, MD

You can use both fillers and botox in this area to help this concern

+2

Fillers and botox are the best treatments for this area, but one without the other probably won't work all that well. Additionally, I would recommend Restylane over Juvederm as Restylane has a bit more effectiveness in this area. It will need to be repeated over time, but I find that it gets better as well and less injections are needed if you continue it.

One area that responds especially beautifully to fillers in this region is the 11 line, especially if it is deep. But, again, you need to use it with botox in order to gain full correction. And make sure you go to an expert (dermatologist, etc) who does their own injections. This area is very challenging and needs to be done by someone who isn't 'experimenting or learning' on you.

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologist

Watch Out With Filler in the Horizontal Lines Between the Brows at the Brige of the Nose

+2

Hi Red Robin,

The lines that you describe are horizontal between the brows at the bridge of the nose best respond to Botox. Fillers can cause some very unnatural edema and swelling in that particular area.

The horizontal lines of the forehead are best treated with Botox. The vertical "11" lines between the eyebrows can be very well taken care of with a combination of Botox and hyaluronic acid filler.

Now Robin, keep on "bob-bob-bobin' along". Be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Tissue fillers would not work well in those locations

+2

I would not recommend using tissue fillers for forehead lines. These lines are created because of repeated movement (raising your eyebrows). The treatment here is with Botox, to limit that movememt. Depending on how deep the lines are while at rest, will determine how much the lines will soften after Botox treatment.

Forehead lines are not due to loss of volume and will not look good if treated with filler. As for the line across the bridge of your nose. This is a result of either long-term furrowing / kneading your eyebrows together or from rubbing / pushing up on your nose if you are an allergy sufferer. Here, I would use Botox for the glabella complex and then maybe add a little filler after the effect of the Botox has set in.

Felix Kuo, MD
Long Island Dermatologist

Forehead and Bridge of Nose

+1

An experienced injector will have no problem injecting the bridge of the nose. The forehead lines will not be corrected by filler. Forehead lines are best treated by Botox or Dysport, as these products relax the muscles that create the lines.

Tim A. Sayed, MD, FACS
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Botox is great for removing wrinkles on the nose. Restylane can be a nice addition.

+1

Wrinkles on the nose are caused by the muscles under the skin.  These wrinkles have been called bunny lines.  One of my patients calls them her "cougar lines".  Whatever you call yours, they may be treated very effectively with Botox or Dysport.

If the the lines have been around for a long time, fillers like Restylane or Juvederm may be helpful to reverse the skin creasing.

It is important to place the fillers carefully to avoid injury to blood vessels in the area.

In summary, Botox or Dy sport, sometimes with fillers can erase those nose wrinkles away.  It helps to have an experienced injector treat you.

David Mabrie, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dermal fillers in the forehead and bridge of nose

+1

Lines in the forehead and the bridge of the nose are commonly treated first with Botox. This will help relax the muscles are the cause of these lines. However, if persistent wrinkles remain, they may be filled with the dermal fillers such as Juvederm or Restylane. Your best bet, is to receive Botox to these areas and determine what effect this injectable will create. If you have any residual lines they may be corrected with a filler.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Restylane is Useful in the bridge of nose

+1

Restylane can be quite helpful in treating the horizontal line at the bridge of the nose, but don't expect perfection.  The result will depend on the depth of the crease, the overall structure of the forehead/nose transition area, whether Botox is being used with Restylane, and the type of skin you have.  The best treatment for that line is a brow lift with excision of the procerus muscle, but that may be more than you are looking for.

I have had tremendous success with treating the "11" lines using Restylane.  Often times those lines are simply too deep for Botox alone.  Restylane plus Botox for those lines is usually very impressive and typically the Restylane need not be repeated for years if Botox is maintained.

Louis W. Apostolakis, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon