Tips or Tricks to Getting Breast Implant to Drop

I am one week post op and one breast has already dropped the other is extremely high and tight. I was told by my ps to push down and hold for a few seconds on the left implant several times each day. Is there any other tips or tricks? What about sport muscle creams? Anyone find anything that helps relax the muscle to speed up the process? I am embarrassed because even with loose shirts on I have been asked at work twice now why one breast looks larger.

Breast implants settling

It's not unusual for your breasts to heal and settle at different rates.  Your right breast seems a little more swollen, which again is not unusual.  You can gently massage the breast as your surgeon has advised, and sometimes we have patients wear a strap to help bring things down.  Time will do everything for you on its own, however, and this should be down within a month after surgery.  (PS, tell whoever at work is looking at your breasts to keep their eyes off your chest!) Best wishes, /nsn.

Thank you for your question. Your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, advice, predictions, and/or meaningful reassurance.

Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery and massaging the implants downward may assist in the dropping of the implants after surgery (for those patients who want to help with the settling of the implants). The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized. Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. It is very common for one side to settle faster than the other.

Sometimes, one or both breasts implants do not settle as planned and revisionary breast surgery becomes necessary to improve the outcome. On other occasions, if the long-term breast asymmetry is mild ( understanding that absolute symmetry is very rarely achieved), patients will need to decide whether proceeding with revisionary breast surgery is worth the potential downsides associated with additional surgery.

Again, best to follow your plastic surgeon for more specifics. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.

The Unsettlind Wait for Breast Implants to Settle

Assuming that your Plastic surgeon created the same pocket for the implants, put them in and verified symmetry while you were placed upright - even when all of this is routinely done, many women still have breast asymmetry.

The reasons? 99% of women start by having breast asymmetry. Adding the same implant to already asymmetric breasts will not correct the asymmetry. In fact the father a breast is off the plane of the chest wall, the more the appearance of asymmetry is magnified. Second, breasts do heal at different rates. A week is a VERY short time and I would not panic over it.

Ask YOUR surgeon what he would do. Personally, I would prefer you not wear any bra quite yet - to allow the left implant to come down and I would initiate careful massage at 2 weeks' time.

If the situation persists in 2-3 months only then would I recommend you begin considering other modalities. In the vast majority of cases, gravity always wins and things correct nicely.

Good Luck.

Dr. P. Aldea

Breast implants should look good right away.

1) This is a widely held idea, that breast implants have to "drop" or "settle". This is not true in our experience. The look of the implants is determined by how and where the implant pockets are made. They are not likely to come down with time. In fact, if there is a capsular contracture, they can move up.

2) When doing breast augmentation in NYC, we sit the patient up before the end of the operation (you are still under anesthesia, of course) to make sure the shape, size, and symmetry are what we want. If the breasts don't look great at that point, we continue to work until they do.

3) You do have asymmetry of your breasts, but the overall look is not bad. The left breast does look a little higher, but it is also smaller and narrower. Perhaps, your right and left breasts were different before surgery? Many women have some breast asymmetry, and 9% of women have severe asymmetry.

4) In any case, there is nothing to do now. I don't think massage or pushing or bands help. You may well like your breasts in a few months. If not, you may have to consider a revision breast augmentation. I know this is not what you want to hear.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Massage after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.If you find that your breast is tight and particularly if you went up a few cup sizes, then breast massage will help your implants settle. I typically recommend waiting a week as it sooner may be too uncomfortable. However, if you can tolerate it earlier, then you can do so. I also recommend lymphatic massage as this helps to reduce swelling much faster in the breast.
As far as how to massage, I recommend displacing the implant in all four directions (up, down, left and right). Example, pinch the breast on the top to displace the implant downwards. For the lymphatic massage, it is much more of a light gentle touch. We often recommend a massage therapist to help with this or we show patients how to do this at home. You can repeat this several times a day for the first several months.

Tips or tricks to getting breast implant to drop?

Hello! Thank you for your question! You are still early post-procedure. Your appearance looks typical at this stage and will continue to improve as the swelling subsides and the implants continue to settle into their desired position. This usually proceeds over the next several weeks as the lower pole skin/breast stretches to accommodate the implants. Follow-up closely with your surgeon for additional restrictions/instructions and the potential use of bras/garments or massage that may encourage the implant to settle appropriately. If still displaced after this time, a surgical procedure may be necessary to further open the pocket and bring the implant(s) down. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Tensor Bandage Wrapped Around Top Part of Breasts

The full results of your surgery are still not apparent as it generally takes about three to four months. By that time, your breasts will have dropped and tissue expansion will create a more natural breast contour, with more fullness in the lower portion of the breasts. Your implants won't be sitting so high. Please wait until then to evaluate your results. You can help the process by wearing a tensor bandage wrapped tightly around the top part of your breasts, although you should ask your surgeon if this is okay first.

Implant position

TIme will be the best method to allow the implants to settle.  Creams do not do anything, massage may keep the pockets open.

Breast implants settling

The best thing to do is to be patient. You are only a week post-op. It can take several months before your breasts settling completely. Also, your breast can heal at different rates so while you are satisfied with the one, the other should catch up providing there are no other issues such as capsular contracture. Gravity always wins. The other factor to consider is the degree of asymmetry before the augmentation. This could affect your results as well.

Gently massaging your breast may help. Sometimes strapping the breasts down helps them settle as well. I would have another discussion with your plastic surgeon. It is still too soon to get worried. If the look of your breasts isn't satisfying in about 6 months, you can consider a revision.

Best regards,

Dr. Speron

Sam Speron, MD

Breast implant displacement exercises to promote descent of high riding implant

SEE VIDEO with EXERCISES BELOW. This video illustrates some of the exercises as well as upper pole band to promote descent of the breast implants. I sometimes encourage patients to do this twice or three times as frequently on the higher side.