Tips or Tricks to Getting Breast Implant to Drop

I am one week post op and one breast has already dropped the other is extremely high and tight. I was told by my ps to push down and hold for a few seconds on the left implant several times each day. Is there any other tips or tricks? What about sport muscle creams? Anyone find anything that helps relax the muscle to speed up the process? I am embarrassed because even with loose shirts on I have been asked at work twice now why one breast looks larger.

Breast implants settling

+2

The best thing to do is to be patient. You are only a week post-op. It can take several months before your breasts settling completely. Also, your breast can heal at different rates so while you are satisfied with the one, the other should catch up providing there are no other issues such as capsular contracture. Gravity always wins. The other factor to consider is the degree of asymmetry before the augmentation. This could affect your results as well.

Gently massaging your breast may help. Sometimes strapping the breasts down helps them settle as well. I would have another discussion with your plastic surgeon. It is still too soon to get worried. If the look of your breasts isn't satisfying in about 6 months, you can consider a revision.

Best regards,

Dr. Speron

Breast implant displacement exercises to promote descent of high riding implant

+2

SEE VIDEO with EXERCISES BELOW. This video illustrates some of the exercises as well as upper pole band to promote descent of the breast implants. I sometimes encourage patients to do this twice or three times as frequently on the higher side.

Breast implants settling

+2

It's not unusual for your breasts to heal and settle at different rates.  Your right breast seems a little more swollen, which again is not unusual.  You can gently massage the breast as your surgeon has advised, and sometimes we have patients wear a strap to help bring things down.  Time will do everything for you on its own, however, and this should be down within a month after surgery.  (PS, tell whoever at work is looking at your breasts to keep their eyes off your chest!) Best wishes, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Breast implants should look good right away.

+2

Hi.

1) This is a widely held idea, that breast implants have to "drop" or "settle". This is not true in our experience. The look of the implants is determined by how and where the implant pockets are made. They are not likely to come down with time. In fact, if there is a capsular contracture, they can move up.

2) When doing breast augmentation in NYC, we sit the patient up before the end of the operation (you are still under anesthesia, of course) to make sure the shape, size, and symmetry are what we want. If the breasts don't look great at that point, we continue to work until they do.

3) You do have asymmetry of your breasts, but the overall look is not bad. The left breast does look a little higher, but it is also smaller and narrower. Perhaps, your right and left breasts were different before surgery? Many women have some breast asymmetry, and 9% of women have severe asymmetry.

4) In any case, there is nothing to do now. I don't think massage or pushing or bands help. You may well like your breasts in a few months. If not, you may have to consider a revision breast augmentation. I know this is not what you want to hear.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Tensor Bandage Wrapped Around Top Part of Breasts

+1
The full results of your surgery are still not apparent as it generally takes about three to four months. By that time, your breasts will have dropped and tissue expansion will create a more natural breast contour, with more fullness in the lower portion of the breasts. Your implants won't be sitting so high. Please wait until then to evaluate your results. You can help the process by wearing a tensor bandage wrapped tightly around the top part of your breasts, although you should ask your surgeon if this is okay first.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Implant position

+1

TIme will be the best method to allow the implants to settle.  Creams do not do anything, massage may keep the pockets open.

The Unsettlind Wait for Breast Implants to Settle

+1

Assuming that your Plastic surgeon created the same pocket for the implants, put them in and verified symmetry while you were placed upright - even when all of this is routinely done, many women still have breast asymmetry.

The reasons? 99% of women start by having breast asymmetry. Adding the same implant to already asymmetric breasts will not correct the asymmetry. In fact the father a breast is off the plane of the chest wall, the more the appearance of asymmetry is magnified. Second, breasts do heal at different rates. A week is a VERY short time and I would not panic over it.

Ask YOUR surgeon what he would do. Personally, I would prefer you not wear any bra quite yet - to allow the left implant to come down and I would initiate careful massage at 2 weeks' time.

If the situation persists in 2-3 months only then would I recommend you begin considering other modalities. In the vast majority of cases, gravity always wins and things correct nicely.

Good Luck.

Dr. P. Aldea