How Hard Can You Squeeze Silicone Gel Implants Without Causing Rupture?

I have silicone gel breast implants placed over the muscle and am very paranoid about my husband squeezing them to hard and causing them to break. Can this happen?

+4

You can squeeze silicone implants relatively hardly without them rupturing. In fact I have demonstrated this by standing on the implants without rupture.

Implants are pretty durable

+4

Both silicone and saline implants can withstand normal physical contact, so I do not think you need to be afraid that your husband will damage them. Ruptures are due to microscopic wear and tear that builds up over time. I have had occasion to throw an implant against the wall to demonstrate to a few anxious patients how strong they are. So, enjoy them.

Bruce Genter, MD
Abington Plastic Surgeon

Force required to rupture implant

+2

The implant is designed to withstand 3 times your body weight in force.  You should be able to stand on the implant and not rupture it.  With the new form of breast implants produced after 2009 there is little chance of the implant gel material migrating since the gel is more cohesive than it was prior to this time.  Therefore it may be difficult to tell if it is ruptured since the implant tends to keep its original shape. The problem is non an emergency.  You would need some type of diagnostic study to determine if it was actually ruptured such as a  mammogram, MRI or ultrasound.

Breast implants and rupture

+2

It's actually really hard to rupture an implant.  You would definitely stop your spouse from squeezing too hard secondary to pain, way before the implant would rupture.  Implants are designed to be very durable and strong.  Best wishes, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Will squeezing implants rupture them

+1

In general, squeezing silicone implants will not rupture them as they are cushioned by your skin and fat. What will rupture them is contact with a sharp object. So as long as they are in your body, you should be safe.

Arian Mowlavi, MD
Laguna Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant rupture

+1

It would take a lot of force for an implant to rupture just from squeezing it.   Normal acitvity should be okay.

Breast implants are very durable!

+1

It would take a very powerful force to rupture your implants. Not that the implants are considered lifetime devices, but they are made to last and are quite durable. You would most likely damage your own breast tissue before your implants would be hurt.

Best regards,

Dr. Speron

Sam Speron, MD

Breast Implants are very durable

+1

The chances of rupture are very low, especially if these are relatively new implants. The new implants are very durable. The old implants (1980s) ruptured more easily.  You would experience relatively severe pain before there would be enough pressure to rupture an implant.

Daniel P. Markmann, MD

Breast implants do not rupture because of anything you do.

+1

Hi.

The current rate of leaking for silicone breast implants is very low (2.3% at 10 years). And when an implant does rupture, it is because of "material fatigue" ( a little piece of the shell wears out). I don't think any thing your husband does will cause an implant to leak. So relax!

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Durability of silicone implants

+1

Tina,

Although neither saline or silicone implants are considered lifetime devices, they are pretty durable. There is actually a You Tube video of a woman driving a car over a gel implant but this is a little over the top. The chance that your spouse could injure an implant is quite low and would most likely hurt your breast tissue before hurting the implant. Having said that, common selse must prevail.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS