Is Tingling Feeling After Rhinoplasty Normal Where Bump Was Removed?

I am 4 weeks post op and I had a small bump removed after rhinoplasty. I keep having this tingling feeling every once in a while where the bump was removed and it looks like it is coming back slightly. I am very worried! Is this tingling feeling normal?

Numbness after rhinoplasty

+1
In general, almost all noses are numb right after a rhinoplasty. In most cases its the tip that is numb, but this numbness can extend down to the upper lip, and in rare cases some of the teeth. There are nerves that are cut and stretched during a rhinoplasty, and it takes a long time for those nerves to start working again. This is true of an open as well as closed rhinoplasty, although it tends to be more extensive in open rhinoplasty. This could also be more extensive if a septoplasty is performed at the same time. This, along with the swelling, gives you a stiff, plastic type feel, and can give you an odd smile. However, the nerves will start working and again, and your nose stiffness will go away with time. As the nerves grow back, you may feel some tingling, itchiness and on occasion pain. This takes in most cases months, but can take years in rare cases. Extremely rarely, the numbness is permanent, although I have never seen such as case.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

TIngling after rhinoplasty

+1

Unusual sensations in the nose can be normal. Often the skin is numb and as swelling goes down the sensation usually improves.

Tingling feeling after rhinoplasty is part of healing

+1
Unusual sensations and tingling after rhinoplasty is part of the normal pattern of healing as the nerves recover where your hump was removed. The sensations should pass over time.

Nose Numbness

+1

During rhinoplasty the nerves that supply sensation to the skin get pulled and stretched.  Although it depends a bit on what exactly was done during your procedure, having some numbness after the procedure is entirely normal.  I typically tell my patients to expect some numbness of the nose that may last several months.  

The fact that you are starting to get some return of feeling is a very good sign.  If there is some return of sensation, chances are it will all return.  However, it can be rather slow...sometimes up to 6-8 months!  Hopefully it will be nothing more than an annoyance to you.

Andrew Winkler, MD
Lone Tree Facial Plastic Surgeon