Second Time Otoplasty

Hello, I had an otoplasty 4 years ago. Unfortunately, my left ear is not pinned as equal as right ear so it really looks weird for me so I am not happy with the result. My real question is is there be a problem for me if I only got my left ear. I mean any risks for second operation on the exact spot? Because it really annoys me.. I am looking for your answers

Second time otoplasty

+2

Any procedure is a little tricker the second time around, but if you are happy with the result you got on your right side, there is certainly no reason not to limit the surgery to the side that has the problem.

Revisional Setback Otoplasty

+2

Repeat or revisional otoplasty surgery can be successfully done on just one ear. It can be particularly successful if the problem is uncorrection (still protruding) as opposed to overcorrection (too close to the side of the head) which is a more difficult problem. The important question is to determine why it was not as successful the first time. There are a variety of reasons including not tying the cartilage sutures as tight during the procedure, sutures slipping/loosening after surgery or a contributing cause (large concha) that was not addressed. This must be looked at carefully to ensure that a revisional otoplasty gets the best match to the opposite ear.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Revision otoplasty

+2

Hi Mert. There is always risk involved with surgery. When a second procedure is performed on a previously-operated site, healing can be less predictable due to the scar tissue present at that site. If you find the appearance of one ear unsatisfactory, check with your surgeon to discuss his or her recommendations. If the appearance of the other ear is acceptable, revision surgery can be limited to the ear that concerns you. Good luck.

James M. Pearson, MD

Revision otoplasty or "ear pinning" can be done

+2

Revision otoplasty should not be a problem- we do many otoplasties and have done a few primary cases where only one ear was deformed.  The main issue is diagnosing what went wrong with the ear you do not like and planning the revision surgery.

Ramtin Kassir, MD, NY/NJ Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ramtin Kassir, MD

Second Time Otoplasty

+2

It should be OK to have the revision surgery and risks are similar to the first surgery but mostly is unevenful and patients heal very well.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

LIve Video Otoplasty Revision can be done on one ear and on an ear that has already been worked on before

+2

LIve Video Otoplasty Revision can be done on one ear and on an ear that has already been worked on before. Going to someone experienced in otoplasty is helpful.  You can do one side and this is not a problem. Working on the ear that has already been done before typically is okay. You would have to consult with a facial plastic surgeon to assess your situation. Pinning of the ear can be done superiorly at the antihelix and also in the concha depending on where you want the ear more pinned back and after discussing this with your surgeon.

Thanks for reading, Dr Young before

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Otoplasty for Symmetry is Helpful

+1

Revision otoplasty for symmetry is helpful.  

Although it can be more problematic than primary otoplasty, secondary otoplasty for touch-up revision otoplasty can be helpful in improving symmetry.

I suggest a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who will examine you and discuss you treatment options.

Fredrick A. Valauri, MD

Revision Otoplasty Surgery

+1

Revision on one ear should not be a problem. Yes, there may be more scar tissue from the first surgery but  that can be addressed during the procedure.  I perform revision otoplasty surgeries on many patients and if one ear has good placement but the other is causing the patient concerns, then we only work on the one side that the patient has concerns about.