Conchal Bowl Ridges After Bilateral Otoplasty...

I have a concern similar to these. http://bit.ly/mQjqRE (rs link) http://bit.ly/myupX6 (rs link) It has been 10 days since the operation. The pictures were taken today. Setback for each ear was approximately equal to this man's right ear: http://bit.ly/kOuCzz (rs link). My doctor told me that the swelling would subside within 4-6 weeks. While the amount of swelling has decreased from what seemed like fluid filled sacs, the newly added structures now seem hard.

Ridges after otoplasty

+1

It seems to me that excess conchal bowl was reduced by a wedge excision technique, where a crescent wedge of cartilage is removed from the side of the conchal bowl and edges are brought together with sutures. Because there is still excess skin in the front of the conchal bowl, it has nowhere to go but form a pleat. In addition, if fluid collects in the wound, it can fill up that space and create a fluid filled irregularity, that can become hard over time. There are alternative techniques available to avoid such irregularities, that give an ear a very natural look while reducing the conchal bowl depth. I wish you the best and hope that this improves with time.

Tacoma Facial Plastic Surgeon

Irregularity after otoplasty

+1

Dear Ear123456,

The photos demonstrate the conchal ridges and I sense your disappointment.  There are many different surgical techniques which are often combined when performing an otoplasty.  Swelling following surgery can last for several weeks.  It it probably wisest to get another visit  this week to express your concerns with your surgeon.  See if after he/she examines you and with his or her intimate knowledge of exactly what manipulations were done, would recommend massage and suggestions for wound care for your right ear wound, etc.  Usually I would not consider a revision for 6 months.  Good luck

Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Ridges after otoplasty will get better but can be corrected after an appropriate time

+1

Ridges after otoplasty will get better but can be corrected after an appropriate time. This ridge occurs when the conchal reduction is not as symmetric.  When I reduce the concha I tend to do this evenly posteriorly to allow the concha to be setback without ridges. This skin bunching will shrink up, although you have a significant amount of it.  I would wait at least up to 3-6 months.  Your physician can reduce this for you when the time comes. Sometimes, if the patient is really concerned with the extra skin, you can remove sooner and the earliest would be at 2 weeks.

Thanks for reading, Dr Young

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon