Can I Tighten my Loose Abdominal Skin Without Surgery? (photo)

I am 18 years old, and about a year ago I lost 75 pounds in 9 months. I have a bit of loose skin around my ab area but it doesn't seem to be too severe. I work out a lot and my abs seem to have improved. Do I need plastic surgery to tighten the skin or can I do it naturally with exercise and skin creams?

Loose abdominal skin after weight loss.

+3

Thank you for your question Iris.  First of all, congratulations on losing 75 pounds. Exercise will certainly improve the abdominal muscles but unfortunately will not tighten your skin. Skin creams will also not tighten the skin (despite what all those T.V. ads claim).  It does appear from your photograph that your skin looks good in the upper abdomen but there does appear to be a slight excess in  the lower abdomen.  If this is the case then you may be a candidate for a minor or lower tummy tuck. Only an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon will settle this issue. 

Tighten Loose Abdominal Skin Without Surgery- Latest Laser Procedures!

+1

The practice of aesthetic plastic surgery has changes tremendously in the last few years. With the latest advances in science we can now tighten skin, to a certain degree, without performing surgery. In my practice we use a number of different techniques. We use radiofrequency, infrared light or lasers delivered under the skin. All of the devices we use deliver heat to the skin and cause a certain amount of skin shrinkage. Which device is used when is determined during an in person consultation where a complete assessment of the skin elasticity is made.

Web reference: http://www.lorenc.com/abdominoplasty-tummy-tuck/

Tummy tuck incision and tightening of the abdomen - Los Angeles

+1

A tummy tuck procedure can address the loose muscle fascia that occurs after pregnancy. The incisions can be tailored to your specific body. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Web reference: http://www.surgery90210.com/cosmetic-dermatology/38/scar-revision.aspx

Can you tighten loose tummy skin without surgery?

+1

I have met many women who are extremely athletic and can never been able to tighten their loose abdominal skin without a tummy tuck. Although exercise does to help to tighten and firm up the abdomen it does not remove loose skin!

Web reference: http://www.anewfigure.com

Tummy tuck for excess skin

+1

You have such a small amount of excess skin that I would not reccomend undergoing a tummy tuck.  The creams and devices promoted to tighten skin do not work very well.  Best of luck.

Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Loose skin after weight loss

+1

Congratulations on losing 75 lbs and thank you for your question.  You are 18 and because you have young, healthy skin, much of it has snapped back. Skin creams will not tighten it any further and would likely be a waste of your money. Also, yes, getting some form of a tummy tuck without muscle tightening (because you may have children) would help too but you would have a scar in the lower abdomen. There are some promising technologies on the horizon that use ultrasound, radiofrequency, or laser energy to melt fat and tighten skin.  Usually the benefit from these procedures is minimal and may be only temporary.

See a plastic surgeon in your area to see if you are a candidate for mini vs full tummy tuck. Good Luck!

Non surgical skin tightening of Tummy will achieve only 10-20%-Mini Tummy Tuck more effective

+1

You look fabulous and congratulations on your weight loss.

You are blessed to be so young and so fit.

Continue with your exercise and fitness. In the future you may decide to have children so I would NOT do a Mini Tummy Tuck now.

I would not give up on further tightening of your skin at 9 months. You may continue to improve.

Non surgical skin tightening or Tummy Tuck is not terribly effective. Procedures like LuxIR, Thermage, Titan and others do tighten skin but only 10-20% and then only if done by very experienced Medical Personnel at high settings.

Congratulations again

Web reference: http://drseckel.com/surgical-procedures/result-oriented-tummy-tuck-abdominoplasty/

There is no good way to shrink excess skin--it has to be removed surgically.

+1

After weight loss, loose skin is commonly an unwanted side effect.  The only way to fix the problem is to surgically remove it.  Skin "tightening" technologies do not work.

Can I Tighten my Loose Abdominal Skin Without Surgery?Answer:

+1

The thing you have in your favor is your age and many times skin in young people can go back with some exercise....but the challenge in the 75 lb. weight loss which is a lot and you should feel great about that...But because of that, you may need a bit of skin tightening...There is only so much exercise can do and creams do not work...

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Excess skin after weight loss

+1

There is no effective alternatives to tummy tuck when skin excess is present after weight loss. Given your very young age, and very good contour and tone, we would discourage surgery at this time and consider future pregnancy, and avoiding scars.

peterejohnsonmd.com

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/tummy-tuck