Can I Tighten my Loose Abdominal Skin Without Surgery? (photo)

I am 18 years old, and about a year ago I lost 75 pounds in 9 months. I have a bit of loose skin around my ab area but it doesn't seem to be too severe. I work out a lot and my abs seem to have improved. Do I need plastic surgery to tighten the skin or can I do it naturally with exercise and skin creams?

Loose abdominal skin after weight loss.

Thank you for your question Iris.  First of all, congratulations on losing 75 pounds. Exercise will certainly improve the abdominal muscles but unfortunately will not tighten your skin. Skin creams will also not tighten the skin (despite what all those T.V. ads claim).  It does appear from your photograph that your skin looks good in the upper abdomen but there does appear to be a slight excess in  the lower abdomen.  If this is the case then you may be a candidate for a minor or lower tummy tuck. Only an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon will settle this issue. 

Give your body some time

Congratulations on your weight loss.  Losing 75 pounds is a tremendous accomplishment.  Significant weight loss, as you have undergone, often is more than the skin can fully rebound from.  You may see loose skin in your lower abdomen and around your umbilicus, in particular.  If this continues to persist and is bothersome to you, it is likely that a board certified plastic surgeon can help you by tightening your skin and smoothing the contour of your abdomen.  However, because you are young, your skin is likely to have more elasticity and you may continue to see improvement in your skin contour without surgery.  I would continue to give your body time until you feel that your improvement has plateaued.

Loose skin after weight loss

Thank you for sharing your photo, and congratulations on your weight loss - you look fantastic!  I can certainly understand your dilemma - the small amount of excess skin you have wouldn't seem severe enough to warrant surgery, but on the other hand, it is unlikely that any amount of exercise or any skin cream will resolve it. You'd be a reasonable candidate for Ultherapy (radiofrequency), which can produce a moderate amount of tightening.  That said, a mini tummy tuck might be the most effective option - the incision is much shorter than that of a full tummy tuck, the belly button isn't altered, and the recovery is significantly easier.  I'd recommend an in-person consultation with a qualified, board-certified plastic surgeon.

Joshua D. Zuckerman, MD, FACS

ThemiTight might help

Congratulations on your weight loss. 

Thankfully a lot of your abdominal wall has snapped back, but some loose skin remains. 

A skin-only panniculectomy would get rid of a lot of loose skin and fat, but at the expense of a long scar. 

ThermiTight and Ulthera might tighten the skin non-surgically. I use both, and believe ThermiTight would do a better job. 

Tightening Loose Abdominal Skin Without Surgery

Thank you for your question. First and foremost, CONGRATULATIONS on your substantial weight loss. You have certainly done so much to improve your overall health and well-being, and certainly your appearance. The excess skin that is seen in the picture is, as you say, not that bad at all. If anyone has a chance of having the skin retract back to its original state, it is you. You are young, hopefully healthy, and, please tell me, you don't smoke. Skin is a funny organ, in the sense that we cannot predict how it will react to specific situations in life. We can surmise or make educated guesses based on various factors, but we just cannot accurately predict. If you are desperate to improve your lower abdominal contour, then you can probably do a mini-tummy tuck only. A mini-tummy tuck is a procedure where the excess skin and fatty tissue from the lower abdomen is removed, without upward dissection of the abdominal plane, relocation of the umbilicus, or plication of the abdominal musculature. The scar that results is similar to a C-section scar - horizontal, smaller than a full tummy tuck scar, and located between the pubic region and the lower abdomen. It is very well tolerated, and most importantly, doesn't burn any bridges. In essence, if doing a mini-tummy tuck, one can always undergo a full tummy tuck in the future without any problems, if that is what you may determine you'd like. Either way, make sure that you consult with a Board-certified plastic surgeon so that you get bonafide, authentic, and reliable information regarding this issue. Congratulations again - keep it up!! Hope this helps. Good luck and farewell.

Loose Abdominal Skin

Unfortunately there are no creams that will tighten your loose skin. Exercise will improve your abdominal muscles but not tighten the loose skin. I suggest you schedule a consultaion with a plastic surgeon to evaluate you and review your options to get your desired results.

Taking Care Of Loose Skin After Weight Loss

Thank you for your photo and congratulations on your weight loss! It takes a lot of determination and will power to lose 75 pounds.
Unfortunately, while exercise will tone and define your stomach muscles, no amount of exercise will tighten the loose skin of your lower abdomen. There aren't any creams or lotions that have been proven to be effective in tightening loose skin either. As for non-surgical procedures, Ultherapy has shown the most promise, but the improvement is limited compared to a surgical correction.
From your photo, it appears that a mini-tummy tuck would be your best option. You should have a consultation with an experienced plastic surgeon to confirm this.
Good luck!

Your young age is in your favor

Unfortunately, no amount of "working out" will tighten skin although building up muscle in certain areas may stretch the skin ever so slightly to make it appear less loose. Because you are young, perhaps the elasticity in your skin is sufficient to see some tightening of your loose skin. No skin creams will help.

The most definitive treatment if the problem remains and is bothersome enough is surgical tightening (tummy tuck). You may want to explore various minimally invasive or non-invasive skin tightening energy delivery systems such as radio frequency devices. Results can be quite subtle and costly with the need for multiple treatments.

David J. Levens, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Can I tighten my loose abdominal skin without surgery?

Congratulations on your successful weight loss. We all know how difficult it is and how much dedication it takes. Judging by your photographs it appears that you have some, but not much, loose skin in the lower abdomen. It's difficult to tell whether or not you have any stretch marks. However I cannot see any in your photograph. Stretch marks are a result of tearing in the lower layer of your skin. This tearing damages the elastic quality of the skin preventing the skin from retracting or shrinking. In the absence of stretch marks its possible that you will continue to slowly improve over the next 1-2 years. Normally it is best to postpone surgical recontouring of the abdomen until childbearing is over. In the meantime there are no creams or topical treatments that will dependably tighten your skin.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Age is on your side

Theres a good chance you can make major improvements with just diet and exercise given your age and nullpariety (no kids). As with other docs, I don't think creams are the way to go but definitely moisturize. Good luck for your continued weight loss success.

Robert Frank, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon