Are my Implants Being Damaged by Purposefully Wearing a Tight Bra?

I wear a bra(underwire) that is purposely too small with two sportsbras ontop when I run to avoid bouncing. Lately I've had awful awful indentions and severe pain in one of my breasts. Is wearing these bras compromising my implants and could it damage them from the tight pressure. (Cause Rupture,leak etc?)

Tight bras will not damage your implants!

+3

If you have saline implants, particularly if they were under-filled by your surgeon at the time of surgery, there is always a small risk that a leak could develop and your implant(s) deflate, requiring surgical replacement. Activity is NOT usually the cause; rather, a sudden blow or injury, or something as simple as the repetitive up and down of your chest with breathing, can (occasionally) cause a saline implant to rupture, leak, and deflate. You can't stop breathing, and even vigorous activities don't usually cause any concern at all. Supportive bras are helpful in minimizing movement of the breast implants and breast tissues, and virtually all surgeons recommend additional support when jogging, running, or horseback riding, for example.

If you have silicone gel implants, particularly the present 5th generation of cohesive gel implants in use for the past several years, these implants cannot leak or rupture, regardless of breast movement, and whether or not multiple bras are worn.

However, too tight is still too tight, and if you have painful or tender indentations from your underwire bras, then you should try deleting the underwire bra in favor of snug jog or stretch bras (2 or even 3) when running. Pain or severe indentations in one breast only may mean something is going on on that side, including leak and eventual deflation (saline implants), or if silicone gel, perhaps a muscle strain, sprain, or even partial muscle tear.

My advice would be to tone down the activity a notch or two until the soreness and swelling resolves, and then start slowly (wearing supportive stretch bras as described above) increasing your activity level. If you have saline implants and one has leaked, I would recommend exchanging both for the newest silicone gel implants.

Web reference: http://www.mpsmn.com/html/implants-choosing.html#subhead

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Possibly...

+1
It is hard to answer this question without actually seeing the bra in place. However, if the underwire is actually digging into the implant through the skin, then doing this repeatedly could eventually cause implant failure. I imagine that this can occur at either end of the underwire if it were really, really tight. For sports, I would suggest wearing 2 sports bras that fit comfortably. For those times where you want extra cleavage, just wear a bra with extra padding.
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Wearing a tight bra will not hurt your implants

+1

Wearing a tight bra while jogging will give you additional support and is beneficial.  Since you are concerned about "indentations and severe pain in one of [your] breasts", I would definitely recommend the use of a different bra.  Have you had any changes to the appearance of the implant?  A visit to your plastic surgeon should be made to make sure that everything is ok.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Implants and tight bra

+1

Ordinarily a snug sports bra should be a good thing for comfort and support while running. However you are overdoing it. You should not be getting such indentations and pain. You should show your surgeon what you have beeen wearing while running and make sure nothing abnormal is going on already. Perhaps eliminating the too tight underwire bra but continue with the two spors bras would be better.

Breast implants and bras

+1

The bras would not likely cause a rupture, however it sounds like they are causing some discomfort.  I would try different bras until you find something that is not causing a problem.  If the severe pain is still present then I would have your plastic surgeon evaluate your breasts to make sure there isn't something else going on.  Especially if the indentations do not go away after having the bras off for several hours/days.

Reno Plastic Surgeon

Tight jog bras with breast implants

+1

The support offered by a snug jog bra or sports bra will not damage your breast implants, and may actually reduce soreness in the breast induced by exercise. Don't worry about leaks or rupture.

peterejohnsonmd

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com