5’2, 125lbs, Currently 32C/D: is 400CC to Large for a Runner?

I'm 5'2, 125lbs, 26yrs, and 32C/D, and scheduled for a lift and implants. I am concerned that too large of implants will casuse me to look like I have gained weight and make running uncomfortable or difficult. The surgeon stated that if I just got the life I would be come a Bcup, but post-op I would like to be a small D. The surgeon suggest I get 400cc silicone implants under the muscle. Is that too large and will a 400cc implant create premature sagging?

Breast implant sizing

+2

The more breast surgery I do the more I realize that there is no correlation between the size or model (profile) of implant used and resulting cup size.  This may have to do with several factors including: the amount of breast volume the patient starts with, the shape of the patient's chest wall (concave or convex), the type and model of breast implant selected (saline/silicone  and low/moderate/high profile), bra  manufacturer variance  in cup sizes, the  degree  of filling of the cup  with breast tissue,  and the subjective differences in patients perceptions of cup size. 
Much of the final “look” achieved after breast augmentation surgery  depends on several factors:

1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the  preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” will be optimal.

2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing  long-term  well-placed breast implants. I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone)  or model (low/moderate/high profile)  of implant.

3. The type of implant used may  determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. Each patient differs in the amount of breast tissue that they have.  If a patient has enough breast tissue to cover the implant, the final result will be similar when comparing saline implants versus silicone gel implants.  If a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.
On the other hand, saline implants have some advantages over silicone implants. Silicone implant ruptures are harder to detect. When saline implants rupture, they deflate and the results are seen almost immediately. When silicone implants rupture, the breast often looks and feels the same because the silicone gel may leak into surrounding areas of the breast without a visible difference.  Patients may need an MRI to diagnose a silicone gel rupture.   Saline implants are also less expensive than the silicone gel implants.
Other differences involve how the breast implants are filled. Saline implants are filled after they’re implanted, so saline implants require a smaller incision than prefilled silicone breast implants.
On May 10, 2000, the FDA granted approval of saline-filled breast implants manufactured by Mentor Corporation and McGhan Medical. To date, all other manufacturers’ saline-filled breast implants are considered investigational.
As of 2006, the FDA has approved the use of silicone gel implants manufactured by the Mentor Corporation and Allergan (formerly McGhan) for breast augmentation surgery for patients over the age of 22.

4. The size and model of breast implant used may  make a  significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

How big is big

+2

I think if yopu are a c/d cup now and put in 400 cc's I think you will be huge and running will be very difficult so I would think twice.Remember you are the one who lives with them at the end of the day.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Concern about 400cc implants

+2

In my opinion 400cc implants either above or below the muscle are probably too large. It is difficult to be more definitive without a thorough exam.  Since implants should be considered a "long term" investment, you might consider having just a lift, which is far simpler than combining the augment and mastopexy. This might serve you better as a runner, then in the future, if you really wanted to be larger, you could add the implants.  I still would caution, however, about too large an implant, since this will likely accerlerate sagging; best also to get some additional opinions. Good luck

Jerry Lugger, MD

400 cc and a lift

+2

Yes, a 400 cc augmentation with or without a lift is quite large on a smaller person like yourself.  This size increase may also affect your comfort while running.  It's very difficult to discuss cup sizes without photos or an exam, but you would certainly gain at least 2 cup sizes with 400 cc implants.  I recommend you spend more time with sizers in a surgeon's office before signing up.      

Brian M. Braithwaite, MD

400 cc probably too much for you

+2

If you are already a large C / small D, and you are adding 400 cc, that's about 2 extra cup sizes...or large DD.  Even if you subtract a little (1/2 cup) for the effect of the lift, I suspect you'll still be larger than you might like if you are an active runner.

Have you thought about just doing a lift by itself.....?

Thomas Fiala, MD

+2

Very hard to determine without a photo or in person examination. I think 400 cc too large but that is a guess. seek additional in person evaluations from boarded PS's in your area. 

Breast lift and implants

+2

Sometimes doing a lift involves removal of some breast tissue and the implant compensates for that as well asadding the extra volume you need to get where you want. Many runners find even C breasts too large, but you probably don't since you are considering becoming even larger . Everyone's aspirations and tolerance are individual! You need to have a further discussion with your surgeon.

Hugh McLean, MD
Mississauga Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants and Breast Lifts

+2

Hello BrittanyRunning,

At 5'2'' with a 32 C/D to start, 400 cc implants will undoubtedly make you look top heavy, and probably just heavier in general.  Being a runner, I can hardly imagine you will feel comfortable with that size. 

Unfortunately, I can not recommend another size without a thorough examination.  However, I could guess it would be closer to 300cc.  It might not be a bad idea to get a second opinion.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Breast implants for a runner

+2

It is not clear to me how you could be a 32 C/D cup and become a 32 B after a breast lift. Certainly a small implant with a breast lift will create more upper fullness which you might like. The 400cc implant will however leave you with a well endowed look and probably will conflict with your running. If you are serious about running we would suggest a lift without the implants. If running is important to you think small, and get a second opinion.

peterejohnsonmd

Picking your implant size

+1

There are several variables in determining implant size.  When recommending implant size for my patients, I consider the followings: 1) patients' anatomy (height, weight, chest width, chest height, amount of breast tissue) and 2) patients' desired look/goal.  Without knowing your chest measurement and breast tissue amount, I cannot give you any recommendation.  You should visit with board-certified plastic surgeon who will examine you.  Try implant sizers to get a rough estimate of the size you may want.  As you know, bra/cup size will vary depending on the brand.  Good luck with you.
Dr. Sugene Kim

Sugene Kim, MD