Will my Breast Implant Get Bigger After Six Month of Sugery

I have my implant 335cc cohestive gel a month ago. I find it's smaller than when I try on at the pre-op. I was told by my surgeon that the implant will settle and drop and that they will look bigger. It's that true? If it doesn't get bigger it's my surgeon fault or my? will I get a free revision?

Will breast implant get bigger?

+5

Although your breast shape will change over the next few months, I doubt you will find that they get bigger.  

Unfortunately, there is no perfect way to pre-determine the correct implant size.  You had a perception of your desired goal, and try to relay that to your surgeon, but unfortunately, there is no 100% accurate way to determine your goals.   I also do bra sizing of implants, but explain that preop bra sizing is not a perfect way to determine size.  I take time to try to determine goals. Do you want shape, but fully natural, or do you want everyone to see and notice your breasts??  These are important questions, they often have to be determined in the operating room.  

Will you have to pay for a revision?  This is surgeon dependent.  I do not charge a fee for myself, but you will have to pay anesthesia, OR and cost of new (larger) implants if you are in my office.   I think this is a common way of handling fees for implant exchanges.

I would suggest telling your surgeon your concerns, then waiting 3-4 months.  If you are still unhappy, get him to change them.

Good Luck!

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

No, your implants won't get bigger, but your breasts may look better as time goes by.

+3

Many surgeons use a very careful dissection technique in creating an implant pocket during breast augmentation, and the amount of swelling and bruising may actually be quite minimal for the patients lucky enough to have such careful surgery. Sometimes post-operative nausea, vomiting, or excessive activity can lead to increased bruising, swelling, or bleeding that can require re-operation, so even careful surgery needs good anesthesia, and compliant post-operative patient recovery in order to minimize these concerns.

Unfortunately, some breast augmentations surgeons (often those who are not fully-trained and American Board of Plastic Surgery-certified plastic surgeons) use blunt dissection technique or are less fastidious about control of bleeding vessels, and their patients often have significant and very visible swelling and bruising. I have seen many patients from other surgeons who feel that their breast size "went down by half" compared to the swelling they had immediately after surgery. My own patients hear this from some of their own friends who have surgery elsewhere and are concerned that they will lose size as time goes by.

Of course, implants don't change in size, but the tissues that cover and enclose these implants do soften, stretch, and allow implants to drop and settle into a final position. All the while, swelling in the surrounding tissues (sternal or cleavage region, flanks, back, ribcage and even abdomen) diminishes and reabsorbs during the healing process. The tightness and artificial height of the implanted breasts also decreases, and the breasts drop and actually project forward slightly more over time, achieving a more natural teardrop shape (when upright). Many patients perceive this as a slight size increase, not a decrease, unless they consider "high and tight" to be larger!

Ultimately, you should wait for 3-6 months to see how your breasts look with your new implants. Most patients are pleased, but there are still those who wish for larger implants and ask for re-operation. Your surgeon should have discussed these fees with you before your initial surgery. This is also why I generally recommend that patients choose slightly larger than their perceived "ideal" implant choice pre-operatively, as the single most common reason for re-operation is size increase, not any other complication or concern! Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Post op breast volume changes

+3

Dear Huong,

Your implants will not enlarge post op.  If fact, your breast will usually expect 10% volume loss over the first few months post op not due to implant volume change but due to thinning of the overlying breast tissues.  There is no perfect way to determine to perfect breast volume pre or post op.  For example, there is a computer simulation program which can very accurately predict from your pre op photos what your breast shape and volume will be with various implant volumes and styles.  Patients were able to chose with the computer generated program almost exactly what their post op breast augmentation would look like.  Even with this added "forecast" still 60% wished they were bigger.  I encourage you to visit with your plastic surgeon regarding his policies on revisions.  Fault?  Two imperfect people attempting to define an inherently fuzzy endpoint.

Good luck 

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants will not appear larger six months after augmentation

+3

You might have misunderstood, but your breast implants will improve in shape over several months as the breast relaxes and forms with the implant, yet the cup size and look will largely remain the same. Actually the opposite is true. Often the implant that feels stiff and too high and large will improve and feel slightly smaller once settled in.

peterejohnsonmd

Breast Implants do NOT look larger 6 months after surgery

+3

Breast implants do not appear larger 6 months after surgery. As inflammation and swelling subsides and the implants "settle" they may appear slightly smaller and more natural but never larger.

It sounds as if you had the wrong idea of how large your breasts would appear after your augmentation. When using most methods of "sizing" breast implants before surgery, they are all fairly inaccurate since the implants are placed OVER the skin instead of under the skin, under the breast and under the muscle, in the process compressing the implant, as it WILL be after surgery.

In my opinion the best way to size a breast implant is to do so digitally with a VIRTUAL BREAST AUGMENTATION with the Canfield Vectra X3. The machine uses a sophisticated computer to show you how you may look in 3D from ALL angles with any breast implant in the US BEFORE you go to surgery.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Will my implant get bigger?

+2

No, your implant will not get bigger.  implants do settle in over time, and may look and move more naturally.  In patients with tight skin and tissues, they may project more over time as the tissues stretch and relax.  But they will not increase in size.  Although trying on breast implant sizers preoperatively is the best technique we have for patients to assess what different sized implants will look like, I tell patients that the technique is not completely accurate, and that implants will look a little smaller IN the breast than they did ON the breast in a bra.  If they like the looks of a 300cc implant, for example, I usually recommend they choose at least a 325cc.  But again, no method of sizing is foolproof.

Robert M. Grenley, MD

+2

From your description the answer is no. Your implants will not LOOK larger over time. You need to discuss in more detail with your chosen surgeon. 

Size of breast implant

+1

Unfortunately your breast implants will NOT become larger with time. The tissues will settle and the appearance will perhaps improve over the next few months, but the size will more or less remain the same.

I am not sure if your surgeon will be happy to change the implants for free, but you may find that you yourself are happier with the result as time goes.

Anindya Lahiri, MBBS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Difficult to judge the size

+1

Unfortunately sizeing of breast implants before surgery is difficult.  Placing an implant in a bra in order to size, pre surgery - the same size implant will look smaller when placing it under the gland or muscle.  It is more common for patients to feel that they should have gone larger than the other way around. 

Mentor is releasing an adjustable silicone gell implant that can be adjusted after surgery - fine tuning.  Studies will be starting soon.

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Your implants will not change

+1
The size of the implants does not change over time. The most common reason for redo post augmentation is the size. The main reason for this that patients expectations changes.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon