Thigh Lipo Before a Thigh Lift? (photo)

I've lost 165lbs and need a thigh-lift. I've had consults with 2 surgeons so far. One said if he doesn't do lipo in the thigh first (a few months before the lift) then I wouldn't like the result. The other didn't meantion lipo, just the thigh lift. If I just get a lift (without lipo a few months before) would the scar look bad? Would it have trouble healing? I really don't have the money to do lipo and then come back months later for the lift. I just want to fit into normal non-stretch jeans! :/

Thigh lift procedures

+2

Congratulations on your weight loss.  Plastic surgery after weight loss is different than plastic surgery on a non-weight loss patient.  It would be best for you to seek surgery from someone who deals with weight loss plastic surgery.  With significant weight loss, most patients develop thigh laxity in 2 dimension.  Vertical laxity as well as horizontal laxity.  Unfortunately, you seem to have both.  Thus a simple lift may not get you what you want.  In terms of choices, these are the available procedures for the weight loss patient in my practice.

1) Vertical thighplasty with simultaneous liposuction.  This procedure will remove the excess inner thigh skin through an incision that goes from the pubic area to the inner knee. This will result in reduction of your though horizontally.  This is not a lift.

2) Spiral thigh lift- This procedure is a modified inner thigh lift.  The incision is placed under the buttock crease and then runs through the groin crease.  Through this one spiral incision, the back of the thigh, the inner thigh, and the thigh front are lifted.  This procedure is a more comprehensive lift than the inner thigh lift only.

3) Outer thigh lift.  This lifts the outer aspect of the thigh.  It can be done as an extension of the Spiral thigh lift or with a lower body lift.  Combined with the Spiral thigh lift, it will give you a circumferential thigh lift correction.

For more information, and to see pictures, see my website link below.

Thigh lift and liposuction can be performed safely at the same time

+2

A thigh lift and liposuction of the thighs can be performed safely at the same time.  Although some liposuction would be beneficial in your case at the same time as your thigh lift, most of your contour correction would seem to be related to correction of the excess skin.  There several type of thigh lifts available to you depending on what other procedures your are considering having, financial considerations, and the length of the incision that is considered.  The best result in terms of maximum correction of the excess skin laxity will be obtained from either a vertical thigh lift (incision goes along the inner thigh from groin to knee) or the spiral thigh lift (incision wraps around thigh onto the buttock crease).  The crescent thigh lift (incision is in the groin crease) is only designed for patients that have mild to moderate laxity located in the upper half of the inner thigh.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Thigh Lift after massive weight loss

+1
Generally, after losing a lot of weight it can be difficult for the skin to tighten back up again. Liposuction may remove any stubborn fat deposits in your thighs, however it has been my experience that any obvious sagging present before surgery remains afterward, and can even get worse. As a result, a thigh lift would probably be better suited. I wouldn't recommend getting liposuction then having a thigh lift afterward. You will have more scarring that what would result from liposuction alone, and the extent of it depends on the technique applied during your surgery. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Thigh lift

+1

From your photos it is apparent your problem is mostly extra skin. I failed to see how a liposuction staged at a separate earlier surgery is necessary or helpful. Most surgeons do not do it that way. The size of the incision and subsequent scar is dependent on the amount of extra skin removed and the pattern of skin removal not the amount of fat under the skin.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Medial thigh lift and liposuction

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss. There are 2 medial thigh lift techniques used to improve the thigh contour. One is with the final incision placed only in the groin crease. The second operation will have an incision down the inseam of the leg with or without a groin crease incision. Both operations can include liposuction if it is necessary. By your photos the second operation would yield a better result and could be done with liposuction. Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon with experience is body contouring after significant weight loss.

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Thigh lift v. liposuction

+1

With the degree of skin laxity you demonstrate, you will need a thigh lift which can be performed with or without liposuction.  Congratulations on the amazing weight loss!  The scarring from the thigh lift would not be affected by whether the operation is combined with liposuction.  Best of luck.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Thigh lift with liposuctioning

+1

Philosophically, I like to look at what the patient is trying to achieve as a way of beginning the discussion then talk about how to get there. Along the way there may be compromises due to financial, scarring or recovery reasons. In that regard you need to express what bothesr you and what you would like to see as your final result. There are many different ways and combination of procedures to improve the way weight-loss-thighs look. The use of liposuction ahead of time will generally give a better result in the long run but costs more in the long run and involves two operations. Your pictures would indicate that you could probably get a fairly good result with a thigh lift without prior liposuction. The next question is whether to do a groin only incision, down the thigh incision or both. That decision is again based on the desired result vs the amount of scarring. 

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Medial thigh lift

+1

It seems from the pictures posted that you will do well with a vertical scar medial thigh lift.

If you accept having a scar on the inner thigh from groin to knee.

In my practice I do some liposuction at the same time to refine the results. Also may add a groin scar to refine the results further.