Does Thermage Cause Facial Fat Loss?

I've read that Thermage causes facial fat to dissolve after treatment, such that there are patients who blogged online that they regret having had thermage at all. Their cheeks and undereyes hollowed out.  Is this true?

Thermage and fat wasting

+4

When thermage first came out, it wsa used to tighten the skin. Some clinicians felt that if a little heat is good then alot of heat is better. This lead to burns and facial soft tissue atrophy. While it may cause some skin tightening, it is not a miracle worker and does not replace a facelift when it is needed.

Thermage does not cause fat loss

+1

When used according to the manufacturer's guidelines, Thermage does not cause fat loss.  Many years ago, some surgeons were performing Thermage with the patient heavily sedated and used very high levels of energy which melted fat.  This treatment protocol was never endorsed by the Thermage company and they advised doctors to use low levels of energy with multiple passes.  We have always used this protocol and have never seen a case of fat loss.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon for your Thermage treatment. 

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Fat atrophy with old not new Thermage

+1

Although I can not say that there has not been a case, I can say that I have not heard of a case of fat loss with the new thermage treatment compared with the old treatment

Ronald Shelton, MD

This should be a very rare complication.

+1

To tin,

We use Thermage to tighten the skin and we have never seen fat atrophy.

With Thermage, everything depends on how you do it ( what head?, what grid?, how many passes?, what energy level?).

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)