Is There a Procedure to Just Reduce Earlobe Size and How Much is Cost?

hi i have my two somewhat oversized earlobes and im wondering how much would a procedure to just cut the earloes to make them small would cost.. i had in mind it would be cheap since it is only earlobe reduction ..could i get an estimate and would any permanent scars remain? also how long does it take to heal or until i can take the bandages off? thank you very much

Options for earlobe reduction

+1

Ear lobe reduction is a very effective and easy procedure in which we remove a wedge of tissue from the earlobe and then suture the edges together.  The sutures stay in for approximately  1 week and the scar is virtually invisible.  In my practice we charge $1,000 for bilateral earlobe reductions.  We can also reduce them by attaching the earlobe to the cheek if you prefer a non-pendulous lobe.

Palm Springs Dermatologic Surgeon

Earlobe reduction

+1

Earlobe reduction is a simple  procedure. There are a number of different ways to achieve this.  The technique I prefer involves excising the excess portion along the edge of the lobe.  The resulting scar  is usually quite inconspicuous.  The procedure is done under local anesthesia and should take less than an hour to do both ears. I don't even use bandages on them.  The cost will vary depending on the complexity of the procedure but probably no more than about $1000 for both.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Is earlobe reduction possible?

+1

This is a good question and one that I hear from patients often.  The answer is yes, it is possible to reduce the size of the ear lobes, repair torn ear lobes, and even fix enlarged earring holes.  These procedures are easy, require minimal downtime, can be performed in the office under local anesthesia, and are fairly inexpensive.  Most of these procedures can be performed between $300- 500 per ear.

Scarring is minimal in most instances and is usually nicely covered up when the ears are re-pierced. However, some people can develop thick scars, called keloids, in the ears after surgery or piercings.  If this has happend to you then you should be careful when having any of these procedure done.  Most people heal quickly and sutures are removed in 7 days.  You can then have your ears re-pierced after 6 weeks.

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Earlobe Reduction

+1

Yes, this is a common request in my practice.  The incisions would be carefully placed to minimize any potential scarring, and in conjunction with anti-scarring treatments, it would essentially be unnoticeable.  The sutures would be put in for 5-7 days before being removed without any bandages being placed.  There is relatively little to no down time and this can be performed with local anesthesia with you awake.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Earlobe Reduction Surgery

+1

Earlobe reduction surgery is a regular part of my practice.  There are different approaches depending on what type of earlobe you have, past piercings, and what it is you would like to end up with.  Cost is usually around $1000 for both earlobes.  While it is possible to have issues with poor scarring, this is quite unusual in the earlobe.  If you have piercings in your ears and they didn't form unsightly scars or create pigment problems, probably earlobe reduction won't either.

Louis W. Apostolakis, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Earlobe Reduction?

+1

Yes, ear lobe reduction surgery is possible.

Depending on your examination you may be a good candidate for this procedure. However you must consider the degree of “deformity” (your concern about the size of the ear lobe) against the potential complications that may arise after surgery. For example, depending on your skin type, you may end up with raised or pigmented scars that may bother you more than the initial earlobe size. Furthermore the scars may be difficult to treat/improve.

You may also end up with overly–reduced earlobes  and/or earlobe asymmetry.

Make sure you consult with a well-trained/experienced/ethical plastic surgeon to address her concerns.