What Options are there for Fixing Split Earlobe?

Earlobe split

Split ear lobe repair

Split or torn air lobes can be repaired under local anesthesia in the office. It involves removing the skin between the torn portions of the earlobe and then repairing this with suture material.   It is a fairly short procedure with a very short recovery. I would however recommend waiting six weeks before re piercing the lobe, and placing the piercing in an area slightly away from the torn repair site

Split earlobes are easily fixed with an in-office procedure.

Years of wearing heavy earrings can leave you with drooping earlobes - or, worse, leave them completely split. Fortunately, earlobes can be repaired with an in-office procedure, under local anesthetic.

Office Procedure

Torn earlobes can usually be repaired in the office under local anesthesia. Find a board certified plastic surgeon in your area and schedule a consultation to find out more information.

Earlobe Repair

Earlobe tears are very common injuries. They can be partial or complete. Generally the repair of the lower lobule can be done in the office operating room setting under a local anesthesia. Although many insurance plans do not cover this type of reconstruction (unless it was part of an acute injury). In most cases the repair can be followed by replacement of an ear-ring hole after healing has occurred.

Howard Sutkin, MD

Earlobe repair in Los Angeles

Our office specializes in earlobe repair in Los Angeles. Earlobe repairs can be performed using layered sutures in order to reapproximate the torn skin. 

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Torn earlobe repair cost

Repairing a torn earlobe that has resulted from an earring pulling through the earlobe is a straightforward procedure that can be done as an in-office procedure under local anesthesia.  The procedure involves removing the split tract of skin, and then repairing the edges precisely to achieve the best shape and contour.  Scar will typically fade significantly over weeks to months, and the scar is often barely noticable once fully healed and matured.  Repiercing can be done in six to eight weeks.

Dr. Skourtis

Mia E. Skourtis, MD

Split Earlobe Repair

This is a relatively simple outpatient procedure that can be perfomed under local anesthesia. The split is excised and sutured together. The resulting scar is usually not very noticeable. The earlobe can be re-pierced after 6 weeks either just in front of, or just behind, the scar. The costs are not usually covered by insurance companies.

Kenneth P. Gilbert, MD

Fixing earlobes

For split or elongated earlobes, a simple outpatient surgery does the trick.  It is done under local anesthesia in the office and you will have stitches for about one week.  We re-pierce the ear at the same time with a small stud post earring.  If the earlobe is just droopy, dermal fillers are a great way to get those earrings to face forward again rather than down.

Stacey Tull, MD
Chesterfield Dermatologic Surgeon

Surgery is the only option

This is a simple operation that takes about thirty minutes and is done with just local anesthesia.  I make my patients wait thirty days before I re-pierce them.  Then in another two weeks they are back to wearing their own earrings.

Torn earlobe easily fixed

A torn earlobe can be easily fixed under local anesthesia.  I have had patients do this during their lunch time and gone back to work.  I recommend waiting 6 weeks before the ear is pierced again