Is There Permenant Scar Makeup for TT Incision?

Just wondering, is there any permenant scar make up, like a tattoo but matching skin color, TX

Permanent Scar Makeup for Tummy Tuck Scar

+1

In some cases, tattoo may work for covering up smaller scars. It is unlikely to work for a larger scar. It would be best to discuss with your plastic surgeon to see if a revision, steroids, laser or silicone pads would be a good option.

Ohio Plastic Surgeon

Scars

+1

All cuts leave scars. We may do beautiful work and you scar may decide to get thick and dark. If that happens some people tattoo designs, like belts over them. Only time will tell.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Permenant Scar Makeup for Tummy Tuck Scar

+1

I completely agree with Dr. Tholen. The BEST camouflage for a Tummy Tuck scar is an inconspicuous scar which is hidden in most panties' boundries. If the scar is prominent, a scar revision with careful relief of pulling on the skin edges may frequently result in a pleasing and hardly noticeable scar. Applying "ink" to a scar often draws the eye to it thereby defeating the idea of camouflage and inviting questions. To make things worse, fashions change in tattooing as well and what may be attractive to you today may be at best be regarded by some charitably as "old school" in the near future. Finally, tattoo ink does not remain constant; it changes and spreads making for an unpredictable result. I would advise against it.

"Permanent" scar makeup (tattoo) for tummy tuck scars is not recommended.

+1

If you have a dark or widened scar after tummy tuck, revision is your best bet. Sure, there will still be a scar, but it will likely be narrower and less visible. Of course, it has to heal for another full year or so to fade and soften, and during this time it is critical to avoid ultraviolet exposure of any kind (sun or tanning bed) to avoid hyperpigmentation.

Some patients consider "hiding" the scar by over-tattooing flowers, leaves, or colored patterns, but I think this actually draws more attention to the scar, so I absolutely understand your question. The problem is that "flesh-colored" tattoos, in my experience, seem to have about one chance in a million of actually matching your skin color. (I tattoo nipple areola complexes for breast reconstruction and know this is a fact.)

And when it doesn't match, the discrepancy is like a neon sign that says"I HAD A TUMMY TUCK AND AM TRYING TO HIDE THIS SCAR BUT FAILED!"

Good question, but just say "NO!" Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon