Is There an Existing Standard for Pre/post Laser Resurfacing Meds for a Patient with HV?

If a patient has a known history of Herpes Simplex 1 and elects to have laser resurfacing using ablative and fractional techniques, what is the standard for pre and post medication and follow-up? There seems to be a lot of confusing information out there. If a patient does, in fact, experience a herpes flare-up, could it be due to inadequate pre-medication and post-medication? I am searching for some " standard of practice". The laser procedure was performed by an RN.

Laser Resurfacing and Herpes Virus

Thank you for your question. There are general guidelines from the drug manufacturers of pre treatment for those with a known history of Herpes breakout, and those without. Different physicians have their own formula of success and some prescribe, Valcyclovir, Famcylovir, Acyclovir, and at different doses, and number of days of duration, and different number of days prior to treatment. During an active breakout, the dosing varies.   Be certain to be under the supervision of a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon with expertise in laser surgery for the most effective and safe treatments. I hope this helps.