Reducing Long Term Redness Caused by Laser?

Hi, What can be done to improve redness left by two, very strong, laser resurfacing treatments? Last treatment was done 7 months ago but it is clearly visible where laser was used. Strong sun protection was, and still is, used. I seems that it won't get better by itself (as it's not getting better for recent months). What are recommendations? Treatments or creams? In case of creams, what kind of, instead brand names, would be usefull, although feel free to provide names. Thank You!

Pulsed dye laser and IPL treatment

+2

The pulsed dye laser and IPL treatment can both reduce redness associated with Fractional CO2 laser and Fraxel laser skin resurfacing.  I use both in my office in LA. Surgery90210

Long-term redness after laser resurfacing

+2

Dear patient, long-term redness after laser resurfacing is a potential side effect. I agree with strict sun protection and minimizing exposure of your skin to skin irritants, such as harsh soaps, skin care lotions with fragrances, and strong anti-oxidants such as retinoids and alpha-hydroxy acids. Also try avoiding harsh skin treatments such as microdermabrasions and chemical peels. You may consider discussing with your laser surgeon a trial of light VBeam treatment, this may help to reduce redness. Good luck.

Marianna Blyumin-Karasik, MD
Hollywood Dermatologist

Prolonged Redness After laser Resurfacing, Treatment Options

+2

Prolonged Redness after Laser Resurfacing is common, however I must admit 7 months is not the norm.  The causes are  1.Excessive Sun Exposure (with or without sunscreen use)

2. Your skin type is prone to erythema (redness) after an invasive procedure. Hard to recommend a treatment but one product I find useful is RosaCalm Skin Serum.  It was formulated by a Pharmacist that specializes in skin conditions.  I have used it on approximately 1,000 patients and with time and patience this will subside.  Good Luck..

Joseph Rucker, MD, FACS
Eau Claire Plastic Surgeon

Redness after facial laser resurfacing

+1

facial skin may remain red or pink for many months to a year or more after facial resurfacing with laser, chemical peel or Portrait plasma resurfacing.  Some patients use Retin A (tretinoin) cream for acne or facial rejuvenation as it's known to help collagen production. You would want to avoid this if you are already red since the medicine promotes new development of fine capillary blood vessels in the dermis and that would contribute to more redness. Some patients have had improvement with the use of SkinMedica (TNS) Redness Relief Cream.  Finally, if the redness persists, prolonged facial redness can improve with the use of the V-beam laser or broad-band light treatment, IPL. See a board-certified dermatologist to evaluate your skin.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Laser Treatment for Redness

+1

Thank you for your question. At 7 months, the IPL laser may be effective to calm redness if your skin type is safe for that device.  Also, a review of your skin care routine will be helpful to eliminate any irritating products on your skin. Be certain to be under the supervision of a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon with expertise in laser surgery for the most effective and safe treatments. I hope this helps.

Sonia Badreshia-Bansal, MD
Bay Area Dermatologist