What Are Some of the Risks That Orbital Decompression Carries? (photo)

I have asked a question before concerning my prominent bulgy eyes and have received some very insightful answers from some of the doctors on this site.I have consulted my regular doctor and she has refered me to a specialist on eyes.Dr.Ramita Bhatt .Although, before I speak with her i wanted to know what some of you think and what the risks of the surgery may be.Thank you again to the doctors who have previously answered a question for me.

Risks of orbital decompression

+1

Orbital decompression is a relatively safe surgery, but definitely has some risks you must understand before signing up. Besides the risks inherent in any surgery, such as pain, bleeding and infection, there is the risk of injury to eye or optic nerve and accidental passage of surgical instruments into the brain cavity causing leak of cerebral spinal fluid.  The most common complications I've seen are double vision, which is more common in patients with thyroid eye disease, and hypoglobus (downward sinking of the eye).  You can also develop droopy eyelid(s) that may require later correction.   

Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon

Risks of decompression

+1

The main risk of orbital decompression is diplopia [double vision]. As the eye socket is expanded, the way the eye muscles move are changed.

There are different types of decompression:  lateral, floor, or medial. The medial and floor decompressions expand the eye socket into the air spaces of the sinuses. This has a higher risk of causing double vision, and theoretically could cause sinus problems [although rarely].

In my opinion, in your case, an aggressive lateral decompression would be my preferred technique. It has a much lower likelihood of causing double vision. But to get a good decompression this way, it has to be done relatively aggressively, and the surgeon has to be very experienced. There is a small risk of cerebral spinal fluid leak with this technique and your surgeon needs to know how to fix this during the surgery.

There is also a risk of loss of vision. The risk is very low, but needs to be addressed with the patient. This may scare away some patients, but again, in the hands of an experienced surgeon, this is quite a low risk.

Good luck.

p.s. ASOPRS dot org will allow you to find well trained Oculoplastic surgeons in your area that you can obtain consultation with.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon