What Are the Risks of a Juvederm Nose Job?

I was recently told by the RN who does my laser hair removal that, Juvederm could be a good alternative to getting a nose job. Upon looking up side effects there seemed to be no danger, until i stumbled across a few things that said Juvederm can cause blindness.. Is this true? and if so what are the chances from getting the bridge of my nose injected?

What are the risks of a Juvederm nose job?

+1

All fillers pose some risk of occlusion if injected into a blood vessel. Juvederm is not of itself more dangerous than another filler. Because it is a Hyaluronic acid filler it is considered safer than some because it can be reversed instantly with Hyaluronidase.  The real issue is the experience and expertise of the injector. They need to understand the risks, areas to avoid, and recognize the signs of vascular compromise and know how to manage a medical emergency should it arise. The incident that caused blindness should have been preventable if the injector had been properly trained. Injections of this nature are for advanced and highly qualified injectors only.

Risks of injecting Juvederm into nose

+1

Necrosis of the skin is a real risk factor for injecting Juvederm into the nasal bridge.  There is no FDA indication for injection into the nose.

Silikon-1000 may be safely used by experienced physicians for natural-looking, permanent Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty procedures.

+1

Without a photo, I could not comment on your candidacy for a Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty treatment.

In my practice, I prefer to use Silikon-1000, an off-label filler for permanent results. Uncommon complications with silicone nasal injections (<1%) include bumps or prolonged redness. I have not seen necrosis (dead skin), migration, or sequelae from embolization (like blindness) in any of my patients.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Joseph

Web reference: http://nonsurgicalrhinoplasty.net/

West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

The risks of Juvederm or any other filler as a non-surgical Rhinoplasty are:

1. Fillers add volume making things, including the nose, larger overal not smaller.
  2. Possible blood compromise form injections.
  3. Lumps and bumps

If you have a large dorsal hump or wide tip...adding further volume and size seems futile.  Probably best in that scenario to have a Rhinoplasty.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Risks of Juvederm Nose Job

+1

The risks of a "Juvederm rhinoplasty'' are several: 1) compromised circulation if the filler is not injected in the correct level of the skin, 2) lumps under the skin after injection, which can be improved with hyaluronidase injections, 3) abnormal nasal contours if extensive changes are attempted in a patient who would have been better treated with a rhinoplasty, and 4) other than very minor problems, I do not recommend injections of Juvederm in the tip. Juvederm in the nose should be limited to achieving minor changes and to treat small irregularities.

Juvederm can give effective "rhinoplasty"

+1

We have had amazing improvements with correction of minor humps, and asymmetries of the nose using fillers such as Juvederm.  Conservative and artistic placement of the material is necessary.  Over filling the area could lead to rare problems like skin loss, however when done with caution the procedure is very safe and results are quiet satisfying.  If the desire is for short term (one year) improvement it is worth a try prior to going for the more serious approach of surgery.  One nice thing about Juvederm and Restylane is that if you are not pleased with the result the is the option of dissolving the material with hyaluronidase to reverse the treatment. Cost is around $500.

Paradise Valley Dermatologic Surgeon

Non Surgical Rhinoplasty

+1

Nonsurgical rhinoplasty is not a replacement for rhinoplasty, and patient selection is key.

The risks of a non surgical rhinoplasty is minor in the hands of an experienced and expert injector. In inexperienced and unskilled hands, blindness and skin loss have been reported. More commonly is bumps and making the nose look inordinately large. Non surgical rhinoplasty should only be done by an experienced and expert who understands your objectives.  

Nasal shaping and fillers

+1

In general, filler injection into the nose instead of a rhinoplasty is probably not a good idea.  Go for a consultataion for rhinoplasty if that is what you want.

Juvederm for shaping nose

+1

I think that the risk of harm is small if properly injected. However, I do not think that juvederm is a good choice for shaping a nose. A thicker filler such as Radiesse or Perlane would do a better job and last longer. On the same note, a nurse making this decision and doing such a procedure might be something that you should think twice about. 

Birmingham Dermatologist

Non-surgical rhinoplasty with fillers can look great but only in a very small minority of patients, it can also have risks

+1

"Non-surgical" rhinoplasty is the use of fillers such as Restylane, Juvederm or Radiesse to fill areas of the nose to reduce a visible hump. This can look great for someone who has a low radix (the area between your eyes at the top of the nose). For the rest it will just make the entire nose bigger to camoflage a hump.

Complications have been published. They are rare but they can include blindness or skin loss over the nose. What is more common are lumps. Since the filler is injected and not laid down uniformly as would be during surgery lumps are fairly common.