What Are the Risks of Having Dermabrasion Performed on the Nose? Is This Location Safe?

Is the nose a location of the face that is dangerous to have dermabrasion performed on? What are the chances of having too much skin accidentally removed?

Dermabrasion is safe on the nose

+4

Dermabrasion can work very well for smoothing nasal scars, which aren't always level due to the numerous oil glands in that area. If performed by an experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon, it is also a very safe procedure. While there is always a risk of over-correction, it is not common in my experience. See a dermatologist (especially those who perform a high volume of surgery) or plastic surgeon who specializes in scar revision.

Chesterfield Dermatologic Surgeon

Dermabrasion on the nose is safe

+2

Dermabrasion involves sanding the skin of the nose.  The dermabrasion is performed down to the superficial dermis of the skin and is regenerated.  This area of the nose is quite sebaceous and oily and tends to heal quite well from dermabrasion. Complications that can occur are hypopigmentation and scarring if performed incorrectly.  In experienced hands this should blend itself well with scar improvement.  The scar itself will still be present, just less noticeable.

Dermabrasion on the nose is very safe in experienced hands

+2

Nasal scars are well treated by dermabrasion. The nasal skin is typically thick and very sebaceous meaning it heals quickly and well following dermabrasion. As suggested by my colleague, seek a plastic surgeon or dermatologist familiar with dermabrasion before pursuing treatment of this scar. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Web reference: http://weberfacialplasticsurgery.com/scar-treatments/

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Atrophic Scars On The Nose Respond Well To Subcision, Fractional Microneedling Therapy & Stimulatory Fillers

+1

Spot dermabrasion of nasal scars using sterilized sandpaper is certainly an option, especially for shallower scars and is a safe procedure with a proven track record over many decades. However, I am skeptical about the extent of improvement in deeper scars, as seems to be the case here.

I have personally achieved consistent and gratifying results using a combination of subcision, fractional microneedling therapy (medical microneedling) and, when deemed appropriate, the additional injection of a collagen stimulatory filler for improving depressed, atrophic acne scars, which appears to be the case here.

Subcision is a simple procedure that uses a needle-like cutting device that is slipped under the scar (under local anesthetic) and moved from side to side in order to break up the fibrous bands of scar tissue. This allows for the surface of the scar to float to the surface and also to promote new, more normal collagen synthesis to fill the potential space created. The result--a much more shallow scar and often significant visual improvement. A decided benefit to this approach is that the results are permanent, since the technique, as was pointed out, is predicated upon the person's own ability to produce new collagen in response to treatment.

When there is an unsightly surface texture to the scar, a series of medical microneedling treatments can be initiated. For relatively small scars, the DermaStamp can be used. This is a small instrument with a series of sterilized needles attached, which may be used, under local anesthesia, to disrupt the surface of the scar, allowing it to reform in a more uniform texture and sometimes color.

Finally, the area under the scar can be volumized and smoothed, prior to treatment, by the injection, in a fanlike fashion, of a volumizing agent with a high lifting force. This not only gives immediate improvement by stretching and making more superficial the overlying atrophic scars, but also makes the fractional microneedle therapy, easier to perform. Here I prefer to use Radiesse or Radiesse combined with Voluma injected immediately under the scar to diminish more of that sunken appearance.

Clearly consultation with a board certified aesthetic physician with extensive experience with all these treatment modalities is warranted.

Web reference: http://YoungerLookingWithoutSurgery.com

Dermabrasion is a Very Effective Treatment for Nasal Scarring and Skin Thickening

+1

Dermabrasion is a highly effective treatment for the nasal area.   Nasal skin is quick thick, especially in the tip region, and responds well to dermabrasion.   Nasal scarring can be reduced nicely as long as the proper depth of treatment is performed by the plastic surgeon.  Nasal skin thickening is also treated well.  Conditions such as rhinophyma, or thickening of the skin due to sebaceous gland enlargement, is also treated successfully.