Can the Pigment in a Mole Return After a Fotofacial?

I had a photofacial last month & the light took away pigment from a beauty mark. I was told the color could come back in time, it is still there just much lighter, I am very disappointed & was wondering if it will come back & if so the length of time it takes for pigment to return.

Photofacial

+2

Yes, the color should return to the beauty mark. Thank you for your question and good luck with everything.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Photofacial

+1

The color of the mole should return, though it may take several months to do so.  If you have further concerns, I encourage you to see your provider.

Sam Naficy, MD

Photofacial and mole pigment

+1

The pigment in moles is usually much deeper than the depth that is reached by the photofacial light.  Only the superficial pigment in the mole was removed but it would typically repigment within many months.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Can the pigment in a mole return after a fotofacial?

+1

Depending on the power received:Joules(Quantity of light) and Duration of the pulse (in miliseconds) the mole may lose pigment temporarily or  permanently.

Some years ago, I experimented with one of the first Intense Pulsed Light machines on myself and a dark mole completely and permanently disappeared from my cheek. Both my nurse and I were quite impressed.

It is important that you be treaqted by an experienced, Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon

Eugene Mandrea, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Phitofacial and moles.

+1
More than likely the color will come back over the next few months. Many people want to use photofacial devices to fade moles and it is not successful. In your case, this is food news. Best to you.

Jacqueline Calkin, MD
Sacramento Dermatologic Surgeon

Funny about that.

+1

Murrphy's law states that any thing that can go wrong will go wrong.  Yes photofacial can remove pigment from a mole, kill eyebrow hairs, burn the skin causing permanent "tiger stripping."  It is one of the few machines I keep in my office(Lumenis Vaculight HR) because, properly used it continues to provide great help to patients for many issues.  "Properly used" is the rub.  Improperly used, the machine is hell.  In my office, only I operate the machine.  Could a nurse or technician operate the machine?  Sure, my 9 year old could operate the machine.  What you should be getting by having a physician operate the machine instead is moment to moment clinical judgement.  Trust me, it is worth paying for that.  This technology can permanently remove pigment from the mole.  It is appropriate for the treating physician to ask you about your desire to preserve pigmentation in the moles.  This spot can then be covered with a wooden tongue blade during the treatment.  Will the pigment come back? Possibly not but time will tell.