Moderate Vs High Profile? (photo)

I was set on Moderate Profile Silicone implants. When I went to my preop I was told that HP implants would be a better option for me due to my smaller chest wall. I have a gap and that is why I wanted to go with the moderate profile due to the wider base of the implant. I do not want high round fake boobs and I feel that I will get that with the high profile. I am also getting a vertical lift with my augmentation. I would greatly appreciate your opinions regarding the profile for my body type.

Moderate Plus Breast Implants

+1

Communicating your breast augmentation and uplift goals with your plastic surgeon is paramount pre-operatively. Judging from your photograph it appears that Moderate Plus Silicone Implants with a breast uplift will give you the best outcome. The Moderate Plus implants are designed to have more projection than the moderate implants and they are wider than the high profile implants. The Moderate Plus implants will give more fullness and cleavage than the moderates, without the "fake" upper pole fullness of the High Profile implants. Because of your skin laxity you will require an uplift. Your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon will be able to select the correct size and volume (cc's) of your moderate plus implants once you are examined. During surgery, your plastic surgeon can use different breast implant sizers to determine your optimal breast implant size. Good luck with your surgery. Dr. Richard Swift

Moderate Vs High Profile?

+1

I need your profile picture, but look as you have good pectoral muscle, if you have it, the high profile could over correct the upper pole.

Spanish translation provided by doctor:

Necesitaria su foto de perfil, parece tener buen volumen de pectoral, si asi fuese, con un perfil alto, se podria corregir en exceso.  

Maria Cristina Picon, MD
Argentina Plastic Surgeon

Moderate or high profile implants?

+1

Thank you for your question and photo.  This is a very common question and some patients can be very torn over what is their ideal implant.  As most surgeons will point out, the high profile implants give more "fullness" or volume for the given width of the implant.  Choosing the right implant is something that you and your surgeon should discuss in great detail before surgery.  Your surgeon can then pick the right implant for you based on how much tissue you have, and the appearance you are going for.  The position of the breast on the chest wall or the breast "footprint" will not really be changed by getting a wider implant.  Simply stated, a wider implant will not make the breasts appear to be closer together.  You have significant volume loss to the breasts and sagging (or ptosis).  A lift is important, but placing an overly wide implant will not necessarily give you a fuller breast.  I would worry less about the high or moderate profile of the implant but focus more on discussing with your surgeon your goal cup size and breast shape and they can then help determine which implant will be most beneficial for your situation.  Best of luck!

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Moderate vs. High Profile Implants?

+1

Hello and thank you for your question.

In choosing an implant, it is important to choose the base width of the implant first.  This is equal to the distance from where the breast starts on the sternum, to where the breast stops on the edge of the chest.  The thickness of your breast tissue is then subtracted from this number.  This is how your implant base width is chosen.  Where the breast starts on your sternum will define how much of a gap you will have.  Some surgeons are less agressive with this and use the actual starting point of your breast rather than the ideal starting point on your sternum.  Being less agressive will give you a bigger gap between your breasts, however, there is less chance of rippling as your tissue may be thinner closer to your sternum.  If your tissue is thin over the sternum, the rippling can be prevented or improved by using a dermal matrix (an extra layer of tissue) to thicken the area.  Once the breast width is chosen, then projection (moderate, vs. moderate plus, vs. high profile) is chosen.  This projection defines cup size.  So giving your surgeon your goal of cup size helps him/her choose the correct projection. 

Best Wishes!

Pablo A. Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Moderate vs High Profile

+1

The lift will elevate the nipple areolar complex along with the ptotic (drooping) breast tissue. The implant will add voume and give fullness to the superior pole that the lift will not provide by itself. It is very important that the implant chosen is not of a larger diameter than that of your breast, which has already been defined by your anatomy. The high profile implant will give you more projection than a similar volume moderate profile implant at a smaller diameter. Therefore high profile implants are good for patients who need more volume in a diameter that a moderate profile implant cannot provide for a similar volume.

In any case I would recommend that you revisit with your plastic surgeon and discuss your concerns with them prior to your surgery, this should help put you more at ease. I hope this helps. Best of luck.

Pedro M. Soler, Jr., MD

Selecting the appropriate style of breast implant

+1

A breast implant does not look like a breast, it forms the base of the breast pyramid and your breast sits on top of the implant.  In your particular situation it is necessary to select an implant that has the correct base diameter.  This base diameter will be used to set the base of the breast.  The breast lift is then performed to center the breast over the implant.  If you are trying to avoid a full breast with a good deal of superior fullness then you may want to select either a moderate or moderate plus style implant.  If you are using Allergan implant this would be either a style 10 or style 15.  Discuss your goals with your plastic surgeon, good communication is necessary for a satisfied patient.  

Implants and lift

+1

A lift and implant sounds reasonable. The selection of profile really depends upon your anatomy and the volume chosen.

Moderate PLUS profile breast implants are best for most women.

+1

Hi.

I would certainly avoid moderate profile implants, because they are underfilled, and can give you rippling.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Choosing the right breast implant

+1

Please understand that you have a tough starting point and that regardless of whether you go moderate or high profile, the base width of the right implant will be the same. The right width is defined by your chest so it doesn't vary with implant profile. Choice of profile depends on how full you want to look.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

WHAT PROFILE???

+1

This is a common question.  The profile selection is based on several criteria: the width of the breast, the amount of sagging and skin quality tp name a few.  From your photos I would agree with the recommendaton of high profile.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon