What is the Difference Between a Porcelain Veneer and a 3/4 All Porcelain Crown?

Due to an accident, I broke the bottom part of my front two teeth, so I have veneers on 8 & 9. These veneers are in the process of being redone. My dentist said there is plenty of tooth structure to do veneers again in the future too ( not for 15+ yrs) and at worst case I would have to transition to 3/4 porc crowns and then if they needed to be done again after that (15 yrs later) might have to go to all porc crowns. He said that a 3/4 is not too different from a veneer because they both wrap.

Veeners and 3/4 crowns

+2

Very smilar concept and preparation of the tooth. With Veneers you remove less tooth structure, but both options are porcelains. Your dentist is giving you the right guidance and doing the best treatment for your case. With new dental technology and products available, many options are provided to the patients to make long lasting beautiful smiles!

Fairfax Cosmetic Dentist

A smile is something you'll wear Everyday!!

+2

Veneers are a fantastic answer to a cosmetic problem, over the past 25 years I had the pleasure to place over 100,000 veneers.  3/4  crowns are almost the very same thing (aka PJC's in the old days).  Both work very well and if done properly can last decades.  Just ask most of Hollywood.  Cheers!

douglas hauck dds, inc

Douglas J. Hauck, DDS
Newport Beach Cosmetic Dentist

Porcelain veneers

+2

Your dentist is on the right track in explaining to you the different treatment options based on your specific needs.  Most of the time, he or she will recommend what is best for the tooth in terms of strength and longevity.

There is not much difference between a porcelain veneer and a 3/4 crown,  The first one covers the front part of the tooth and often does not wrap around to the back or through the contacts between your teeth,  The 3/4 porcelain veneer will wrap around to the back of the tooth.  All porcelain crowns will cover the entire tooth.

I like the dentist approach to explain to you all the options for a great smile!

Michael Dorociak, DDS
Sarasota Cosmetic Dentist

Veneers and 3/4 crowns are virtually the same

+2

For lack of a better description, only a dentist can tell the difference. The difference is nearly microscopic, so most patients should consider them equal. When restoring teeth, a well trained and ethical dentist will preserve as much tooth structure as possible, but not sacrifice the final result in efforts the be conservative.  It seems as if you have been given good advice. 

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Porcelain Veneer vs 3/4 crown

+2

Dude to the technology of the materials we use today including cements, bonding agents and high-strength porcelain the difference there has been a paradigm shift in how we design and create restorations.  SO there is a continuum between a pure veneer and a full crown.  There are all sorts of intermediate forms of reiterations that may remove more tooth structure than a veneer, but less than a full crown.  An experienced dentist will try to preserve as much natural tooth structure as possible, while creating a long-lasting aesthetic restoration.  

Lawrence Singer, DMD
Washington Cosmetic Dentist

Difference bwtween veneer and 3/4 crown on the anterior teeth

+1

The difference bwtween veneer and 3/4 crown on the anterior teeth is absolutely minimal. You have been guided well. Remember that tooth preservation is as important as optimum result. A long lasting restoration many of times is better in the long run than having to sacrifice result for  preservation.

In your case he is doing the right thing.

Soheyla Marzvaan, DDS
Orange County Cosmetic Dentist

Porcelain Veneers and 3/4 Crowns

+1

The previous answers have covered the topic quite well. I would only add that the "line" that differentiates Veneers, 3/4 Crowns, etc, and blurred so much in recent years that I prefer to discuss them all as "Porcelain Restorations".  We even do thin veneers that wrap the entire tooth, fully restoring the lost tooth structure and improving the bite. Without the deeper tooth reduction of a full crown, I have a hard time calling this restoration anything but a "clamshell veneer".

Mickey Bernstein, DDS
Memphis Cosmetic Dentist