Can I Get Veneers if I Have Bruxism? I Diligently Wear a Customised Occlusal Splint. (photo)

I am concerned about the veneers breaking. I prefer porcelain veneers as I love my coffee and I hear composite can stain easily. However, I heard that composite veneer is much easier to repair if it breaks.

Get the porcelain veneers but...

+3

wear your bruxism splint religiously while you sleep.  In the unlikely event a veneer breaks or comes uncemented, you and your dentist can deal with it.  Keep in mind, you will need a new bruxism splint after the veneers are cemented on.

Rochester Cosmetic Dentist

Veneers can work

+2

Although resin is easier to repair, porcelain veneers are stronger to begin with.  Minimal prep veneers are bonded to enamel and are very strong in the long term.  That said, they can fracture, and because you grind your teeth the risk of fracture is much higher than in someone who doesn't grind.  Grinding the teeth puts a much higher amount of stress on the teeth than normal functional situations.

Some things to consider.

a)  does your grinding involve your front teeth?  It is hard to say looking at your photo.  Some people only grind on their back teeth in which case they are not stressing the front teeth as much.  If you don't grind your front teeth (your dentist should be able to tell you) then don't worry.

b)  The destructive forces caused by grinding must be managed in some way.

A simple night guard is fairly effective at night to protect the teeth.  Some people are daytime grinders, and a nightguard doesn't help there.

Another approach is to follow a "neuromuscular" approach and reconstruct the bite.  This will remove the stress from the front teeth, balance the forces of your bite, and balance the muscles of your head and neck.  You will need to find a dentist who is trained to use this approach. 

Toronto Cosmetic Dentist

Porclain veneers superior to composite veneers

+2

Just because composite veneers are easier to repair I would not choose them over porcelain veneers for that reason.  Porcelain veneers will look more lifelike and overall should be more durable.  Composite veneers do not look as natural and will pickup staining easier.  If you do wear your nightguard I would go for the porcelain veneers

Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

If you brux you can get Veneers

+2

The chief concern is the bruxism. If  you are used to wearing a customized occlusal splint then your chances of long term success are much better for your veneers. I would stay away from composite veneers unless you don't mind redoing them every 5-7 years. If you don't wear your splint even more often.  Porcelain veneers are much more durable, and they do not pick up stains like composite veneers. I myself have porcelain veneers and the look just as good as when they were put in 10 years ago.  You may pay more for the procelain veneers in the short term, but you will save money in the long run.

Maui Cosmetic Dentist

Porcelain veneers are far superior to composite

+2

I would not choose composite over porcelain based on ease of repair, as the repair won't look very esthetic.  Porcelain will look lifelike and be much more durable while composites tend to look unnatural.  Many bruxers get porcelain veneers, and many don't wear their night guard (but if you DO, your odds of success go up dramatically).

Web reference: http://www.bestseattledentist.com/

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Porcelain Veneers and Grinding

+1

I was just curious if you have any TMJ symptoms: facial pain, headaches, jaw popping, limited opening?

If you do then it would be prudent to consider having this evaluated for treatment and long term health.  Depending on how the teeth meet together on the back side, veneers are not necessarily contraindicated. If you can keep the veneers out of the bite then many times you will be fine and can enjoy veneers.  From the photo it looks like filling out or broadening your smile might be a nice esthetic consideration. 

Also, be sure that a strong porcelain such a Emax is used. This is not only strong but also very esthetic in the hands of skilled dentists and ceramists.

Ronald W. Konig DDS, FAGD, LVIF

Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Can I Get Veneers if I Grind My Teeth

+1

Yes you can get veneers if you continue to be committed to wearing your nightguard.  Go with the emax porcelain as it will not stain and is stronger than what we have used in the past.  The number of veneers I see chipping has gone down significantly with this material.  Composite veneers have poor longevity wear wise and color wise.  

Phoenix Cosmetic Dentist

Porcelain Veneers and Grinding (Bruxism)

+1

From your picture, you would likely be a good candidate for porcelain veneers. Properly constructed and adjusted to your bite and wearing your Night Guard every night, they should last many years. Please consider having your bite evaluated as to what else could be done to minimize or eliminate the bruxism - such as adjusting the bite or orthodontics.

Memphis Cosmetic Dentist

Bruxism and Veneers

+1

A few things I would like you to think about when choosing what is right for you.  Do not go for the cheaper more eaay to repair, but look for something that is a little more durable and esthetically pleasing and life like since these are your front teeth, Another thing to think about is even if you wear your bite guard at night, do you grind your teeth during the day and if you do, you need to determine if you are wearing down the front teeth, If you are, the night guard will help at night, but will not help with the excessive force placed on those veneers during the day from grinding.  Check with your dentist which teeth are worn down from bruxism....if they are the front teeth, I would find a neuromuscular dentist who is trained to correct your bite and eliminate the grinding and stress on your teeth!  Good luck and do your homework and seek consultations from other dentists before you make this decision!

Valencia Cosmetic Dentist

You may want to consider composite as a "first" choice

+1

Although porcelain veneers are harder and more resistant to stain, there are some very nice composite materials on the market that hold color very well and are quite strong.  More importantly, the investment is less.  If cost is no option and you are willing to have one or more of them redone if they fail, go for the porcelain.  If you are considering the composite based on cost, then you may want to have your veneers done in a lab cured composite material and bonded on, similar to how porcelain veneers are bonded.  Lab composites can be about half of the cost of traditional veneers depending on your dentist.  They can be very beautiful and are quite durable for people who brux.  These types of restorations may wear slightly faster than porcelain, but my experience has been that they do not split or fracture as easliy as porcelain might from the same types of pressure or forces.  They are less brittle than porcelain.  Discuss the option with your dentist of trying composite for a few years and then "upgrading" to porcelain at a reduced fee in the future. 

Charlotte Cosmetic Dentist