How much does Botox cost for migraine treatment?

Compared to long-term migraines medications, is botox an economical option? What is the success rate of botox for migraines?

Botox and Migraines

The recent approved dose for chronic migraine treatment with Botox is between 155-190 units.Having myself published both in "Science" and the "NEMJ" on Botox treatment for migraine I rarely use greater than 80 units. Just make sure your physician is familiar in how to use Botox to  treat migraines and has had experience in this area. I myself have use for this indication for over 12 years.

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for migraines

Botox seems to work really well in some patients with migraine headaches, although it is a bit unpredictable as far as some people having great results, others decent results, and others still with minimal improvement. Make sure you see a physician with experience treating migraines with Botox. Typically somewhere between 75-200 units of Botox is used for migraines. It is important to inject any identifiable trigger points. Some of the injection points are similar to that of cosmetic Botox, so there is that added benefit that you'll look better too!  Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox cost for migraines

Botox can be very successful for treating migraines. It can cost $300 to $600 for the treatment. I prefer to do the full treatmen (2 areas plus trigger areas)t which cost $600. however, I can also often get good results if a patient is on a budget by just treating 1 area plus the trigger areas ($300).Each patient is different as are their headaches. Each treatment session is individualized for the patient. It is best to visit the doctor to plan this treatment session. Often times patients that have Botox for cosmetic reasons have noticed their headache problems have disappeared.

Esta Kronberg, MD
Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and migraines... the discovery of the century

I am sorry to hear that you are one of the 30 million people in this country who suffers from this condition.

To answer your question:

The answer is YES, it is cost effective. The treatment last between 3 to 4 months. if you are able to decrease your medications, and not call off work then the upfront extra cost, becomes a very cheap investment.

The most important thing for decreasing excessive botox need is to determine where the headaches are coming from. keep a daily log. In this way you will be injected in the trouble areas, rather than all over the place.

Finally, check with your insurance company. Sometimes they do cover for the medication.

Botox for migraines.

Botox for migraines have a high degree of success in our office. The number of Botox needed for relief varies from patient to patient. Treatments start at $250. The time needed for relief varies with some patients indicating immediate relief and some patients achieving relief on a delayed basis.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Botox for migraine

Botox is covered for migraine headache by most of the insurance companies, although the requirements are different. it is pretty successful if you have pure migraine, but some people develop resistance to Botox after multiple injections

Ali Totonchi, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Treatment of Migraines with Botox - Santa Monica

Botox works well for some migraines. The cost will vary depending on how many areas are to be treated. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Botox is used for migraines effectively in some patients

Not all patients are successful in avoiding migraines by having Botox injections, but many patients note that their migraines go away after Botox and know the Botox is wearing off in a few or several months when the Botox starts to wear off.  The trigger points are different from patient to patient and the cost may depend on the number of units of Botox injected. This can range then from a few hundred to several hundred dollars per every three to four months, less or more.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Cost Of Botox For Migraine Headaches

Botox can be very effective for the type of migraines that has a peripheral trigger as its cause. These occur in the occipital, frontal and temporal areas. They make up the minority of migraine headache types. The cost of Botox injections for them varies based on how many trigger points are injected and how many units are used at each injection site. Usually at least two trigger points are injected but it can only be one or as many two or three. Costs can range from $300 to $800. Botox for some migraine patients can produce near miraculous relief, even if it is only temporary. (three to four months) 

Botox for migraines run between $300-500 for 3-4 months of relief.

Botox does help prevent migraines in many patients and runs usually $300 for the forehead and up to $500 if more is injected and lasts roughly 3-4 months.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon