How Long Does Botox Take to Work if Used for Tension Headaches?

I hear Botox treatment can relieve tension headaches. How quickly does this treatment work and how does it compare to medication? Also, how long does it last?

Botox/Tension Headaches: Up to Two Weeks for Results

While some patients may experience immediate relief (within a day) with the use of Botox for tension headaches, full effects may not occur for up to two weeks.

Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox can work for tension headaches

Botox can work for tension headaches and the results can be apparent usually few days after treatment.

Anatoli Freiman, MD
Toronto Dermatologist

Botox For Tension Headaches

Botox tends to work very well for tension headaches.  It usually starts to work within a few days of your treatment, but I always tell my patients to wait a full two weeks before deciding on whether or not they have achieved the desired result.  Initially you still may need to take Tylenol or a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication for your headaches, but the need for this should diminish as your Botox kicks in!

Sheri G. Feldman, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Up to 2 weeks for full efficacy...

It can take anywhere from a few days up to 2 weeks for the treatment to be fully effective. Typically, in my experience, it takes about 2 weeks. The effects last up to 4 months before another treatment may be needed.

David S. Rosenberg, MD

Botox for headaches

You should experience some relief within 48-72 hours, but may take up to 2 weeks for the full effect. It is important that Botox is used appropriately for headaches. It is not meant to treat all types of headaches.

Kyle S. Choe, MD
Virginia Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and migraine

Botox been used with good success in cases of migraine headache. Botox action usually takes 3-5 days to work. The duration varies between 2-3 months. 

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Botox use for headaches

Botox is used successfully in many patients with both tension and migraine type headaches.  The Botox should take effect in a few days but can take 7-10 days to have maximum benefit.  Result should last 3-4 months in most patients.  Most patients with migraine headaches will still need some rescue medications but studies have shown about a 50% decrease in headache frequency and severity with Botox use.

Carey Nease, MD
Chattanooga Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and relief of tension headaches

Botox has been noted to help some patients with migraines, and other patients with tension headaches, especially those who get relief from injecting the glabella of the forehead (between the eyebrows) get relief usually within a few days of the Botox being injected.  They tend to konw when to schedule the next treatment even before seeing the wrinkles reforming, when they start to feel headaches recur around three to four months.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox, Dysport and Xeomin all tale several days to reach peak effects and last several months.  This would be the same regardless of where the neurotoxin was injected.

Depends on what causes the headaches

If your tension headaches are caused by muscles, those muscles must be treated for the best results.  Several of my patients get relief from their headaches when we inject their facial muscles - particularly in the forehead and glabella.  These patients know for sure their botox is wearing off when they start getting headaches again.  Other times it may be neck or jaw muscles that initiate the headache - so these would need to be relaxed, without losing enough power so that you can still chew and keep your head up!  The onset of action of Botox is anywhere from 3-10 days, so you should feel results within that time period if it's going to work.  Good luck!

Laura E. Skellchock, MD
Boca Raton Dermatologic Surgeon