My Temporary Crown on the Back Tooth Came Off- Do I Need To Cement Temporarily Until Dentist Visit?

I can see the doctor in two days only because it's a weekend. Can I just wait two days and not to put it back until I see my dentist or I have to glue it with the temporary cement from the pharmacy?

Dislodged temp crown

+1
If it fits passively put it back with some temp cement from the drug store to protect the tooth integrity. Clean and dry tooth, don't overload the temp cement.If it does not or you are not comfortable do not put it back. Stay off sugar products and enforce good hygiene for 2 days.

New York Cosmetic Dentist

Re-cement Temporary Crowns

+1

Temporary crown that came off should be re-cemented by the dentist if it’s going to be more then two days.

If the patient is not sensitive and can wait for couple of days till they see their dentist its OK, but anything longer then that can cause the adjacent teeth to shift and the bite to alter. For patients who can’t tolerate the pain if the temporary falls out, placing the temporary back carefully with a drug store cement can buy them time till they see the dentist, however, they need to bite down to make sure the temporary crown is in proper position so as to not cause bite discomfort or fracture under pressure.

Arthur Kezian, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Cementation of Temporary Crown

+1

If you can fit the crown on and bit down comfortably then you can put it in place with dentucreme or a temporary cement from the pharmacy.  It is important that it is fit in properly and you don't use excess cement that could cause a gum problem or have the crown sit too high and casues a problem with your bite.  You can call your dentist and seek their advice.  If it doesn't hurt then it may be OK just to leave it off for a few days.  However, teeth can shif quickly if temporary crowns ore off for more than a few days causing the permanant one not to fit.

Lawrence Singer, DMD
Washington Cosmetic Dentist

Temporary crown

+1

I would recommend to wait to have the dentist recement the temporary crown if it is a matter of a couple of days wait. Make sure you are very carefull with oral hygiene. Be gentle when chewing on that side.

Antoaneta Barba, DDS
Santa Ana Cosmetic Dentist

Recenting Temporary Crown

+1

Temporary crowns are important to have until the final crown is cemented for several reasons.  The temporary crown helps keep the prepared tooth clean from plaque and decay, prevents other teeth from shifting towards the prepared tooth, and also maintains the correct position and contour of the gumline.  If the temporary crown falls off before your next appointment, be sure to notify your dentist and get it recemented asap.  If you can't see your dentist til 2 days later, it should be okay but be sure to brush and floss frequently to keep it clean.  All the best, Dr. Elizabeth Jahanian.

Elizabeth Jahanian, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

What to do with a temporary crown

+1

The temoprary should be placed ASAP.  Even if you do nto have sensitivity, or it does not show.

Teeth can shift, brake and be hurtful if their temporary falls out.  waiting over the week end, is not going to cause too much harm, but waiting even a week can cause irreversible damage. Be gentle with it on the wek end, and see your dentist on Monday .

Soheyla Marzvaan, DDS
Orange County Cosmetic Dentist

Temporary crown fell off?

+1

A temporary crown is made for several reasons. It protects the tooth (and patient) from sensitivity, it allows the patient to still have something to chew on, it makes the tooth look better while waiting for the permanent crown, and it keeps the tooth in the proper place.

Most patients don't mind some slight sensitivity, or the "look" especially when talking about a back tooth. The biggest problem from the dentist's perspective is if the tooth moves, even slightly, this can affect the fit of the permanent crown between the neighboring teeth. Two days should not be a problem, but if possible the crown should be put back on the tooth, and the area should be avoided when chewing until you can see your dentist.  Please avoid pharmacy temporary cement, as this tends to be used in too-thick layers which can alter your bite and create a different set of problems, but a very small bit of toothpaste could be used to hold the temporary in a for a few days.

Good luck! 

Andrea Stevens, DMD
Ottawa Cosmetic Dentist

To glue or not to glue temporary crown back on!

+1

If it is only going to be a few days before you see your dentist, then I would suggest you keep  it safe and let him recement the temporary in the office.  If it is a week before you go back to your dentist, you might want to get some cement from your pharmist or use fixodent that is sold over the counter for dentures.  Both will work well until you have it done professionally.  Remember this is only a temporary until your real crown arrives!

George Koutsoukos, DDS
Valencia Cosmetic Dentist

Temporary Crowns are Important For Broken Teeth

+1

You can try to reglue your temporary crown with toothpaste(once it dries, it holds like glue and has fluoride in it for protection) and/or fixodent denture adhesive.  You can also go to the pharmacy and get some temporary cement.  A temporary holds space and protects your tooth.  If you have a root canal, you won't have any pain so do the best you can or call the office and they will see you right when their office opens on Monday.

Wendy S. Spektor, DDS
Bellevue Cosmetic Dentist

Temporary off-recement?

+1

A couple days is not a problem if you are not having pain or sensitivity in most cases.  A call to your dentist would be wise though, and he can reassure you.  If a temporary stays off too long the tooth maybe damaged, decay, or move.  Normally I tell people any more then a week is too long but always better to get it back on with in a couple days.  Store bought temporary cements are a last resort as getting the temporary cemented wrong is a bigger problem, and it's better to leave it off.

Scott LeSueur, DDS
Mesa Cosmetic Dentist