Teen with uneven breast development

I have a daughter that is 14 years old, she got her first period in January and has uneven breasts. Her left is A cup and her right is AA cup. I dont want her to grow up with uneven breasts. I wanted to know if it is something to be worried about.

Asymmetry is the norm

+1
Breast development continues throughout a woman's life, with a first stage of maturity achieved at 19-20 years old. Asymmetry is also the norm for women, as no breasts are perfectly symmetrical in size and/or shape. For these reasons, I recommend your daughter wait until she is 20 or so before considering surgery, as she still has many years of development to go.

Teenager with breast asymmetry

+1
As a parent myself, I can understand your concerns.
First, you have to wait until your daughter has finished developing before considering any surgery. This will be anywhere between the ages of 17-21. At that point she can decide if the difference between her two breasts bothers her enough to undergo surgery. The best option for her will entirely depend on how her breasts look at that age. Make sure to take her to a board certified plastic surgeon who knows the full array of approaches (liposuction, lifts, reductions, fat grafting, augmentation, etc.). Good luck. May this be the biggest issue you and your daugther ever have to deal with!

Zol Kryger, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Breast assymetry as a teenager

+1
Thanks for the question and I appreciate your concern.

It is early in your daughters development so at this stage a wait and watch policy will be the best approach.

Into the future if there are psychological issues that arise, you may seek the expertise of practitoners who specialise in adolescent medicine, and these can usually be found at a Children's Hospital.

It is impossible to say if the assymetry will become an issue, but rest assured there are networks to help you and your daughter deal with issues as they arise

I hope that is of some help

Jeremy Hunt 

Jeremy Hunt, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Uneven breast development

+1
Your daughter's breast development will continue over the next few years. If the asymmetry now does not bother her, it is best to wait till growth is complete before considering management. Most women have some breast asymmetry so it is best to reassess the degree of asymmetry when development is complete.

Jake Lim, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Uneven breast development

+1
Thank you for your breast augmentation question.

• Your daughter's breasts will continue to develop over the next few years,
  • There is nothing to do - or to worry about - now.
  • All women have some breast asymmetry - one breast a little larger than the other,
  • When your daughter has finished her growing, if the asymmetry is a cup size or more AND if it bothers her, she and you together can consult a plastic surgeon as to what might be done.
  • In the meantime, unless she asks you about it - let it go. Or you may make her self-conscious about something that isn't a problem now and won't be in the future. 
  • But your concern is what all of us Mom's go through. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Some breast asymmetry is normal in almost all women

+1
It is early in your daughters development to be concerned about of breast asymmetry.

Hopefully her breasts will continue to grow and become more symmetrical.

However at the time when your daughter expresses concern about her asymmetry  it would be reasonable to consult a board certified plastic surgeon for an examination and evaluation.  There are many plastic surgical options to correct breast asymmetry including the use of breast implants, and/or lifting of the larger longer breast.  Next

However these surgical consideration should be delayed until breast growth is complete, certainly after 18 years of age.  It's important to wait into your daughter expresses concern about this and that this be her idea not yours.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

14 year old with uneven breasts

+1
Breast development is a long process and most likely not complete in this case.  Many girls and grown women have breast asymmetry, so it can be a normal part of development.  Please review this with your pediatrician.

Timothy Connall, MD