Should I Get Teardrop Implants? Afraid They Could Rotate At Anytime?

I am going for a more natural look and have a slight tuberous shaped breast. i am only taking on a 330 cc implant. but am worried that after recovery i will have that worry in the back of my mind that they could rotate at anytime.. is this true?? i am a waitress so when going back to work should i be worried they could rotate at any given time? or will they heal in place over my healing process.. i am not worried about my PS i know he is great and can make a very precise dissection.

Anatomical breast implants

+2

One of the oft quoted complications of using anatomical (shaped) implants is the possible rotation or displacement of the implants.  For this reason the shaped implants have been textured on their surface to help prevent this displacement.  As others have pointed out accurately though, this doesn't always solve the problem, and therefore, if one is going to use those implants, in my opinion, the key is in the technique used to create the pocket.  In my experience, one of the most important factors in using ANY implants is the development of the pocket.  Any breast implant, round or shaped, can slide or rotate if the pocket is not properly developed to fit the implant and control where it goes; it's just that with anatomical implants this may be more apparent because there is less margin for error due to the shape of the implant.  If a round implant rotates it has little effect on the shape of the breast because it is round, and it has the same shape no matter what its orientation on the chest wall.  If a shaped implant rotates, the long axis may be oriented at an unnatural angle, and this may be apparent and affect the shape of the breast.  These implants have been used successfully in Europe for years, and those surgeons who use anatomical implants successfully find that the key to their success is a careful and meticulous creation of the pocket using a direct approach - that is through the areola or under the breast - armpit, or transaxillary, and belly button, or transumbilical, approaches won't work.  I have seen beautiful results in patients with these implants, and I think they are a definite plus for ladies who have very small breasts or thin tissues and who want a more natural, gradually sloping, gentle contour to the breasts as opposed to the full, round, often artificial appearing shapes that we see with round implants, especially in the larger volumes.  If you want the "Baywatch breast" look, then most certainly go with a round implant - maybe even high profile - but if you want a more natural appearance, then a shaped implant may be better for you.  I'm not saying that shaped implants will replace round implants at all; in fact, on the contrary.  I believe that still the majority of implants used, even in my own practice, will still be round.  But for those cases in which a shaped implant has definite advantages, I would not hesitate to use it, nor should those patients hesitate to have them placed on the basis of the implants alone.  In addition to the obvious shape advantages, there are some other advantages that are coming to light with the newer shaped implants recently available on the US market with regard to rupture rates, as the shaped silicone implants are cohesive gel, and the capsular contracture rates, as the texturing of the implants has some effect on the rates of capsule contracture.  Thus, in my opinion, the question is not about the implants themselves; the question is whether your surgeon feels comfortable that he or she can pull it off.  Good luck!

Anatomic implants superior pole rotation

+1

Yes, anatomic shaped implants can rotate if there is not proper adherence between the implant surface and the capsule.  The risk of superior pole rotation is in the 8% range.

Anatomical (Teardrop) Breast Implants and Rotation

+1

Anatomical (Teardrop) implants have a high rate of rotation and so high risks are assigned to them.

The shifting of the implants often leads to corrective surgeries.

I encourage you to thoroughly discuss this option with your selected surgeon. Possible alternatives could be explored as well.

Best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Teardrop or anatomic implants

+1

I would choose a round implant.  Saline teardrop shaped implants were on the market in the mid 90's for a period of time and were the rage.  Because of the issue with rotation they fell by the wayside. A textured surface and a tag on the implant that could be sutured to fix the implants position were supposed to prevent this.     We are now going to see the release of silicone anatomic implants and my bet is they will have the same problems.  I am told they are useful in a select group of patients but in my 20 years of practice I have never seen superior results obtained with anatomic implants.  Proceed cautiously

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Teardrop Implants

+1

Anatomical implants are a good choice in a rather narrow range of patients.  The implant must fit into the pocket "hand in glove" and the breast tissues and skin must not be stretched or relaxed, as this can promote rotation even if the pocket dissection is perfect.

In addition, I am not so sure of the cosmetic benefits provided by a teardop implant.

For this reason, I prefer a round implant carefully matched to my patients tissues to meet her size and shape expectations.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

“Teardrop” Breast Implants and Rotation?

+1

Thank you for the question.  It's good to hear about your level of confidence with your plastic surgeon.

One of the known problems/complications associated with “anatomical” or “teardrop” breast implants is the possibility of shifting/rotation of the breast implant.  This rotation of breast implant may cause the breast shape to change,  potentially necessitating further surgery to correct.  For this reason, and with the goal of minimizing complications and need for further surgery, I prefer the use of round implants for almost all patients.

Given that you have chosen your plastic surgeon carefully, ask him about his experience with the proposed breast implants.