Taping the Nose After Asian Rhinoplasty - How to Do It?

i had a typical asian rhinoplasty.i had a very short nose and upturned snout like nose with upturned tip. its been about 4 weeks since ive had my surgery ad ive been taping my nose following his directions. however, my tip is still upturned right now because of swelling and the goal was to try to get my tip to drop after surgery, so why is my surgeon asking me to tape my nose UP? isnt that going to make things worse? shouldnt i be taping it DOWN to mold it down, or not even take the base at all

Taping after Asian rhinoplasty

+1

In general taping helps to efface the nasal skin envelope back down on the underlying nasal framework.  Start at the top of the bridge and work your way down with overlapping pieces of tape until you reach the tip.  Your surgeon may instruct you otherwise if there is a specific issue he/she is trying to address.  

Edema with resultant transient tip over-rotation

+1

Your tip will continue to drop through the healing process, as the edema (swelling) resolves.  Especially for Asian skin, this can be a lengthy process.  Typically taping is performed from the top down.  If your surgeon asks you to do something you don't understand you should always feel comfortable asking him/her to explain.   

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Taping Nose after Rhinoplasty

+1

It does not sound logical to tape a nose "up" after rhinoplasty if you want to lengthen the nose. I doubt taping will change tip position 4 weeks after surgery. However, I cannot second guess your surgeon - - ask the physician you trusted to refine your nose.

Taping to diminish tip swelling following rhinoplasty (nose job)

+1

Swelling can make the nose appear more upturned than it actually is. Tape can also be used to diminish swelling by controlling edema. This may be the intent of your surgeon.

Taping after rhinoplasty.

+1

It sounds like you are right--no taping an upturned nose further up. If you are too upturned you will need grafting to derotate the tip and lengthen the nose.