I Had a Half a Syringe of Radiesse Injected into my Cheek Area . Can I Use the Opened Syringe within 3 Months?

I was told to come back with in three months to finish the syringe. I noticed that doctors on this website don't recommend this practice when using Juvaderm. What is your recommendation about saving Radiesse for future use ?

Saving a used Radiesse syringe

+1
I would not suggest reusing any opened product filler. As stated by the many other reputable physicians this is not a good practice. Radiesse comes in several different size syringes and the amount to be used should be determined prior to the injection. This allows a more cost effective procedure and no waste.

We DO NOT Save Half Used Syringes....

+1

I do not recommend saving Radiesse once opened.  If you need a 'touch up' in 3 months then I recommend you purchasing a new syringe.  Typically, and almost always, I use the entire syringe on my patients.  There is no need for waste and there is always somewhere to place the product.

Hope this helps. 

Dr. Grant Stevens  

Grant Stevens, MD

Can an 1/2 syringe of left over Radiesse be used at a different time.

+1

I don't know know why the whole syringe could not be used at the same time. In the cheeks there is always room for a little more volume. There are many areas in the face that could benefit from Radiesse. I usually use the whole 1.5 cc at once. I have never reused a used syringe. I feel that there is no need for that. Radiesse also comes in a 0.8 cc for people who don't need a full syringe.

Farhad Rafizadeh, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Saving unused fillers not recommended

+1

I would not recommend reusing a syringe of Radiesse.  In the past, I know many practices routinely save unused filler product, properly labeled, for future use.  This was often done to save patient additional costs to retouch an area.  This is not routinely done anymore, and definitely not standard of care.  Once a syringe has been open, there is a risk of bacterial contamination, even if it is used on the same person again. That is especially worrisome for a longer lasting filler such as Radiesse.  For this reason, we do not routinely save syringes for patients in our clinic.

If it is not necessary for you to have an entire syringe for a treatment, your doctor can offer you smaller volumes (for example, radiesse comes in 0.3cc, 0.8cc, and 1.5cc.).  I would find a reputable board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon for your treatments in the future.  

Dr. Margaret Mann

Margaret Mann, MD
Cleveland Dermatologic Surgeon

Can I use Radiesse 3 Months After it Was Opened?

+1

Hi Aprilo.  All the contributors to this site seem to be saying the same thing.  This is a bad idea.  At our practice this is forbidden.  The bacterial and health (patient safety) reason is the first and primary concern.

Beyond that, having an injection procedure completed involves paying for both product and service and some patients have suggested that they should be able to come back (for whatever reason) for a product that was not finished that day without having to pay another fee for the time.  Our time is all valuable and this is another reason why this practice does not make sense for patient or practitioner.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Radiesse

+1

BAD PRACTICE. once openend, if the syringe is not completely used, the syringe should be discarded in medical waste.

At minimum  FIND YOURSELF ANOTHER REUTABLE PHYSICIAN WHO DOES NOT PUT HIS/HER PATIENTS AT RISK.

Radiesse, use it or lose it.

+1

It's just not worth the risk to use a Radiesse syringe that's been left open for that long. 

Whatever cash savings you might obtain would be lost quickly if you had a deep facial infection to deal with.

When I am injecting a patient and decide not to use the whole syringe, I discard the unused portion. 

Daniel J. Ladd Jr., DO
Austin Dermatologist

Don't use unfinished fillers

+1

My recommendation, although not necessarily agreed by all physicians, is not to use unfinished product. YOu are having an elective procedure for improvement in an aesthetic appearance. Why risk anything? The cost should be worth it. Saving unfinished product and reinjecting it could jeopardize infection, even thoough one study refuted this, what if electic power failed and the refrigeration was interuppted for a while? Despite precautions and safety check procedures, you were administered the wrong filler, one that was used on a different patient? It's not worth the few hundred dollars you might save!

Ronald Shelton, MD

Never use old, opened material

+1

Having a long-lasting filler like Radiesse injected at the same time as bacteria that could contaminate the previously opened syringe is a dangerous proposition.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Re use radiesse

+1

I would not recommend this as the syringe has been open to air and may be at risk for contamination.

Dr. Malouf

Peter Malouf, DO
Dallas Dermatologist